• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How well does ZSS do against Pikachu?

Mini_Mac

Smash Apprentice
NNID
G_Czech
A lot of people say Pikachu is ZSS' worst matchup and I can't seem to find the reasons why nor can I find any posts or threads on this website that cover why that is.

Before I go to my next tournament tomorrow and bring up this topic to a pro ZSS player in my region, what are your guys' thoughts on the Pikachu v. ZSS MU?

skoolzout1

Smash Cadet
NNID
Skoolzout1
3DS FC
0018-2889-0858
Okay well. This should be obvious, but what I'm about to say is purely my opinion.

If you've seen the trailer for little Mac where Samus makes fun of how short Mac is by measuring his height compared to hers. You could think of that line she draws as "you must be at least this tall for zss to stand a chance against you"

In case you've never witnessed or been told this, zss has a hell of a time dealing with short characters. Why? Well just look at all of her moves.. You'd struggle to find an aerial or tilt that is active for more than like 2-3 frames.

Besides this, her offensive Hitboxes are actually fairly small as well, since there is a sizeable gap between her and the whip. People often think nair is a huge hitbox, but if you actually look at the size of the hitbox that is actually low enough to hit a walking/running pikachu.. It's really really small. A Pikachu would have an easier time reacting and punishing the nair attempt since zss has to wait longer in order to get low enough to hit Pikachu. And again, since the hitbox is really small at that height, it's just hard to hit a moving Pikachu in general sometimes.

That pretty much sums up the matchup with any character below the height of like pit. Pikachu just happens to have all of the things that zss doesn't like: small size, fast speed, amazing edgeguarding that can challenge her recovery, and a decent upsmash to punish her jump attempts.

Top Bottom