• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How well can Wii Fit control the pace of battle?

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
For example:
Cloud can control the pace extremely well with the use of his Limit Charge. If the oppoent doesnt approach, he can just charge his Limit, and obtain a good recovery, a strong projectile, Finishing Touch, and Limit Cross Slash (arguably the greatest move in the game). With his well-rounded build and quick strength within his attacks. He has advantages over most of the roster, giving him more potential over control of the pace of the battle.

.... Basically, the only thing I know about WFT is that she requires reads in order to use her correctly, but I dont know how she controls the pace of the battle. And I need to know. (I also couldnt find a Q&A thread)

Last edited:

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
Well you can basically just abuse Sun Salutation/Deep Breathing if your opponent isn't careful. On top of that, you can set up ball tricks if your opponent doesn't rush you, and because you have 2 pretty powerful projectiles, you can bet yourself they're gonna be the one to approach. -and if they're up in the air, WFT is really good at swatting your opponent out of the sky.

The only downside is that WFT has really bad non-projectile range, so you really have to make the most of being either really close and in attack range, or so far away that you almost inevitably win out on projectiles.

SteadyDisciple

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rorrim
In terms of controlling the pace of a match by exerting indirect pressure (such as the threat of charging limit break), Wii Fit is arguably one of the better characters out there, since she's the only character who can reliably heal completely independent of what other players are doing. If your opponent decides to sit back and try to force an approach, Wii Fit can just use the small heals from Sun Salutation and Deep Breathing to slowly but surely reduce her percentage. These moves also create a sense of threat independent of their healing factors, since Sun Salutation is a very strong charged projectile, and a successful Deep Breathing temporarily buffs Wii Fit's movement speed, damage, and knockback (including the knockback and damage of said projectile). On top of these, Wii fit has a couple really good tools against characters who would try to play the range game, with a silly low crouch hurtbox, the ability to trump many projectiles with Sun Salutation, the ability to cancel Sun Salutation charge into shield without losing charge, and a variety of tricks with header (header cancel allowing the ball to be hit in a lot of directions, and the ball itself has a hurtbox so it intercepts even projectiles with transcending priority, like Limit Blade Beam). All in all, while no one tool forces an approach as well as Limit Charge does for Cloud, I would argue that Wii Fit's collective kit make people need to approach even more desperately. After all, once Cloud gets limit break up and running, he has one use of a powerful but slow projectile, or he has to approach. Wii Fit throwing out projectiles, even if they don't hit anything, still help her with healing, meaning she is completely content to just sit and spam suns forever if you want to play keepaway and don't have a good answer for both big energy projectiles and the fast moving Header.

Lakuto

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Lakutos
Sure, WFT may force the opponent to approach. But, imo, that doesn't mean she control well the pace of the match.

I mean, sure, when playing against a character/player that has hard time approaching, WFT can control the pace of the match somehow by just being really evasive. But, in other cases, i feel like being chased all the time by aggro character (Sheik for example), is not really controlling the pace that well. Mixing up your ledge getups and projectiles is all you can do to rack up damage and "control the pace"; for me, mix up those too is not enough to call it a match pacing character but it's ok nonetheless. If the opponent gets on your 2 projectiles pattern or legde getup habits, you're controlling nothing at all. Fortunatly, side b cancels and b reverse/wavebounce can create a large number of options.

Then, you can mix up with close combat against those type of aggro characters but it will most likely get you punish (frame data). But, things like Nair1 > Usmash or Jab3 > Usmash with Deep Breathing can kill early enough to be considered a threat (60-70%).

Overall, she's above average if you can mixup projectile pattern. Otherwise, she average.

⑨ball

Smash Ace
Wft controls the pace of battle by using general understanding of the opponent to cut off options in each state. So it's not so much reads you need to make her work, as it is a basic grasp of how each character plays. This also means her pace control can be phenomenal or pathetic based on how much you understand.

Top Bottom