• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How viable is it to main one Pokemon and ignore the others?

dakotaisgreat

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MegaSkarner XLR
I want to use Squirtle only. Am I able to tag out twice and get back to Squirtle before my respawn invincibility runs out?

Yes I know it's more optimal to play them all. I don't care about that right now.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
If I'm not mistaken, respawn invincibility last two seconds. Pokemon Switch is a 40 frame move. So, theoretically, you should be able to switch twice before running out of invincibility.

How viable each Pokemon will be on its own however is something we have yet to see.

chaostails7

Smash Cadet
After you switch once, you can't switch again until 2 seconds have passed since your stock icon switched. So no, you will be vulnerable if you start each stock this way.

Lyserdon

Smash Cadet
NNID
420BlitzIt
After you switch once, you can't switch again until 2 seconds have passed since your stock icon switched. So no, you will be vulnerable if you start each stock this way.
Do you have a source for this? I recall reading that this was not the case.

chaostails7

Smash Cadet
Do you have a source for this? I recall reading that this was not the case.
The PT discord was talking about it earlier this week - that's where the exact number came from. But search for Zero's old PT analysis video and you can see how long it takes to double swap. I've definitely seen it in other PT footage after stocks, but I've seen too many videos to go back through all of them @_@

The stock icon doesn't change though.
Sorry, meant your portrait.

wildlands

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-7568-7625-6294
I'd say very viable, more so with Ivysaur. With fast poke swapping it should be no problem.

https://twitter.com/WildlandsTV/status/1071356202745884672]

Basically you just do a B Special move after swapping to reset the swap cooldown. Since Squirtles neutral B can be canceled, you can swap from Charizard to Ivy really fast after respawning. Ivys side B is fastest for him, and Charizards neutral B is fastest for his set of special attacks.

Using all of these moves with a Swap in between and you'll find you can cycle between them all over and over very fast.

If this makes solo maining viable, we'll see, but makes it a whole lot easier!

Last edited:

chaostails7

Smash Cadet
Taunting also works, so quick swapping from Charizard is as easy as cancelling your taunt into a switch. Solo mains rejoice.

wildlands

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-7568-7625-6294
Taunting also works, so quick swapping from Charizard is as easy as cancelling your taunt into a switch. Solo mains rejoice.
I re-binded taunt buttons to shields for mashing out of grabs without rotating the control stick for extra inputs without the potential bad DI. Had to test this out though. How does one taunt cancel?

Squirtles insta B cancel prob doesn't need to get replaced with a taunt cancel, but Charizards neutral special is a bit slow. Can taunt canceling be done faster for all the Squirtle solo mains out there?

Also, taunting is disabled online :upsidedown:

Last edited:

LetGoOfMyBread

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW 8515 9783 4204
Short answer- Yes, but no.

As mentioned before, fast swapping will allow you to switch between pokemon very quicky (Not so much with zard). However, you would be doing yourself a huge disservice by not using all three. Squirtle struggles killing at higher percents and sometimes can have issues with chars with longer range (even though leffen has went on record saying squirtle does pretty good v. Chrom). Zard and Ivysaur both are great at those repectively.

In addition, Pokemon Trainer's offstage game is very potent when using all three mons with the power of quick swapping. Ivysaur's Down-Air has such a huge hitbox and his Forward Air's tipper has a lot of knockback. Zard has multiple jumps, which lets him go out a littler further when connecting a fair, bair, or dair to kill.

Squirtle's recovery is sorta mid too. Ivysaur's recovery on the other hand is very good.

Tldr: Do what you want. However, you are selling yourself short if you choose to ignore Ivysaur and Charizard.

LetGoOfMyBread

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW 8515 9783 4204
I re-binded taunt buttons to shields for mashing out of grabs without rotating the control stick for extra inputs without the potential bad DI. Had to test this out though. How does one taunt cancel?

Squirtles insta B cancel prob doesn't need to get replaced with a taunt cancel, but Charizards neutral special is a bit slow. Can taunt canceling be done faster for all the Squirtle solo mains out there?

Also, taunting is disabled online :upsidedown:
I do the same thing for my d-pad. I suppose a work around for this offline would be to simply leave one of the taunts (probably whichever is the fastest startup for zard) and leave the rest for mashing out of grabs. I have not tested it, but it might work.

D

Deleted member

Tldr: Do what you want. However, you are selling yourself short if you choose to ignore Ivysaur and Charizard.
People seem to prefer maneuverable/combo characters, something that Ivysaur and especially Charizard are not. The latter suffers from this the most from what I've seen; is this due to his lackluster Sm4sh perfomance? His overall sluggishness? Maybe Rock Smash's removal?

Đoubt

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-1626-9421-3614
You can, however you're setting a handicap on yourself as I think (along with many other PT players) that Ivysaur is the most well rounded, and likely your best option as a "solo" character among the three.

Squirtles main issue is kill confirms, which Charizard, and Ivysaur alleviate. To add onto this, Squirtle is close to being the lightest character in the Smash U. cast, so he will die at relatively low %'s.

I would personally suggest just playing around Squirtle/Ivysaur if you dislike the other pokemon that much.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Think of Pokemon Trainer as 3 mediocre characters that each have good qualities. Squirtle is bad at killing but good at comboing, Ivysaur is bad at safely returning to the stage and pretty decent at zoning, and Charizard is bad at racking up damage but good at recovering and killing.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
It's better to be hyper proficient with a character you actually like than trying to juggle 3 different ones. It's very hard to be good with a character you genuinely dislike. I'm Solo Zard, through and through, regardless what anyone else says.

You can't be gimped by ignoring Ivysaur when being solo Squirts if you don't care to train with Ivysaur.

Personally, I'm holding out hope that they allow you to pick one of the Pokemon and stick with them, separate from Pokemon Trainer.

Snipnigth

Smash Journeyman
It's better to be hyper proficient with a character you actually like than trying to juggle 3 different ones. It's very hard to be good with a character you genuinely dislike. I'm Solo Zard, through and through, regardless what anyone else says.

You can't be gimped by ignoring Ivysaur when being solo Squirts if you don't care to train with Ivysaur.

Personally, I'm holding out hope that they allow you to pick one of the Pokemon and stick with them, separate from Pokemon Trainer.
Out of the 3 for a solo main I think charizard is the most viable, because of his kill power and good recovey, but he lack combo and zoning and gets comboed hard, a good squirtls can combo and add a lot of % real fast and he is slippery but has little to no kill power, and ivy can play the zoning game very well with some kill options but his recovey sucks, and charizard is great for eadgeguarding and living in those high %. Its kind of like shulks monado arts.

The fun part of this character and why I ever considered manning him is juggling between these 3 playstyles, PT is a very flexible character if u learn how to use the 3 of them and very viable IMO, but i dont think using just 1 is gonna cut it in competitive play, they are very bad on their own not to mention that u need to find space to switch back to your main when u die.

Top Bottom