• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How usefull is Taking less damage in clown car and more outside of it?

Copy_Kirby

Smash Rookie
NNID
anime9090
I rarely see this talked about but It's a thing.
I think it's x0.95 for hitting the clowncar and x1.15 or x1.05 for hitting jr himself.
It doesn't seem to make much of a difference for me, or I could just not be paying attention.
I would like to know your guys' thoughts and opinions on this.

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
You only take x0.88 damage for clown-kart hits and x1.15 for hits to Koops himself, so you're actually slightly sturdier than average as long as they don't get you in the body, which is pretty difficult a lot of the time. I certainly notice surviving hits I should by no means really be surviving.

Also, I've had a few times where - on the flip side - it's really mucked with people's combo reliability or made me more combo-able. Since you basically have two different hitboxes, if your opponent isn't paying attention, they'll likely treat every hit as if it was a hit to the kart (the more likely option) and end up whiffing, but then you're taking less knockback so you're likely gonna be combo-bait anyway.

Though there is the side where I've been knocked the hell out because of human error concerning Abandon Ship - it's really the only thing you have to be worried about. Otherwise this is pretty beneficial to us IMO. The (basically) extra survivability is nice.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Truthfully, the damage multiplier differences between Bowser Jr. and his Koopa Clown Car are usually quite negligible, since the damage reduction that the Koopa Clown Car offers doesn't do anything for Bowser Jr.'s knockback resistance.

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
Truthfully, the damage multiplier differences between Bowser Jr. and his Koopa Clown Car are usually quite negligible, since the damage reduction that the Koopa Clown Car offers doesn't do anything for Bowser Jr.'s knockback resistance.
but isnt it that damage is tie in tie with knockback? like if Ganondorfs would do "1 more %" on his Turn Around Warlock Punch it would kill 5-20% earlier. isnt it the same mechanic on Jr gimmick aswell?

I believe thats the case due "Less Damage output = Less Knockback recieved"

Saltyman

I'm Already Dead Inside
NNID
JustAnotherNoob
The 0.88 damage is extremely noticeable. I both play Lemmy and have tried killing Koopalings before, depending on the hit they can survive later than Bowser (Knockback Angle and Scaling determines this). Slightly earlier than Dedede off the top. If they are getting hit by Stale moves they can survive even later. Sheild Shulk still wins.

It also reduces hitstun and they have good air mobility.. so yeah, it's definitely a factor. On the down side certain hits to the body can kill you pretty early (Justice Knee..). The changes in damage have a huge effect on the actual scaling on attacks. This also makes it slightly more difficult to gimp you out of your Kart since everything does increased damage. Yay!

Another very odd note: Some throws seem to do reduced damage while others do increased damage.. some Upsmashes also tend to hit your body even when you're both grounded.

divade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Divade011
The 0.88 damage is extremely noticeable. I both play Lemmy and have tried killing Koopalings before, depending on the hit they can survive later than Bowser (Knockback Angle and Scaling determines this). Slightly earlier than Dedede off the top. If they are getting hit by Stale moves they can survive even later. Sheild Shulk still wins.

It also reduces hitstun and they have good air mobility.. so yeah, it's definitely a factor. On the down side certain hits to the body can kill you pretty early (Justice Knee..). The changes in damage have a huge effect on the actual scaling on attacks. This also makes it slightly more difficult to gimp you out of your Kart since everything does increased damage. Yay!

Another very odd note: Some throws seem to do reduced damage while others do increased damage.. some Upsmashes also tend to hit your body even when you're both grounded.
It changes the kb to a (marginally noticeable) extent yes, but planing on it is pretty useless unless you're marth (tippers and spacing king) .

platomaker

Smash Journeyman
Everything counts in small amounts.
and I believe the amount you received is 85% normal damage (-15% in and +15 out)
living to 200% is common practice.

Scarlet Jile

Smash Lord
NNID
ScarletJile
Everything counts in small amounts.
and I believe the amount you received is 85% normal damage (-15% in and +15 out)
living to 200% is common practice.
It's 15% extra for hitting Jr. and 12% less for hitting the car, so mathematically speaking, it's a net loss. That said, the car hurtbox is bigger.

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
It's 15% extra for hitting Jr. and 12% less for hitting the car, so mathematically speaking, it's a net loss. That said, the car hurtbox is bigger.
I think the main thing to also consider is that Jr. is also heavier than average. Even with perfect hits, he's still dying later than a considerable portion of the roster in my experience. Again, not even taking into consideration things like the kart's larger hitbox.

Assuming you're hit by 3 moves that deal the same %s, two out of those three will have to directly hit Jr. for it to matter, which is really a lot harder than it sounds, even when Jr has just used his Up-B, it's not guaranteed. -and even then, the % difference is negligible enough due to Jr's general survivability that unless being hit out of kart is a constant, it's not really a downside that's noticeable 9/10 games.

It's less "a net loss", and more a noticeable risk of the character IMO.

Top Bottom