• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A How to Wreck *****es with Ganon?- Linguini Q&A Thread

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
How? That's not even possible to tilt after a downthrow on Yoshi's, they have to use an aerial or waveland on the platform.
Bruh how do you DI the sheik cg? Answer that before I explain more.

Really? Could've sworn it was around 90..
No, damn you guys have still not ****ed with or experienced partial DI...

Last edited:

Swagic

Smash Journeyman
Bruh how do you DI sheik cg? Answer that never I explain more.

No, damn you guys have still not ****ed with or experienced partial DI...
My regular Sheik practice is ass at the cg, not great to practice getting out of (he can't grab anything that isn't full away), but I could've sworn the Sheik boards said 90 for that cg.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
My regular Sheik practice is *** at the cg, not great to practice getting out of (he can't grab anything that isn't full away), but I could've sworn the Sheik boards said 90 for that cg.
**** the sheik boards, they're wrong. Partial DI so close that they don't know which side to choose and you escape.

Oldiz

Smash Apprentice
Pretty sure it ends around 70, and further if they DI behind.

EDIT: nvm, read wrong.

Last edited:

Oldiz

Smash Apprentice
It can be before that unless they're perfect. Try what I said
I know, thought about ganons cg when I wrote the post for some reason.
But do you know if on yoshis/fod if you can waveland onto the platform then reaction techchase? Just preemptively jump up if they're at a high enough % to get on it after a dthrow.
Maybe even NIL on bf, that'd be sexy as hell.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
I know, thought about ganons cg when I wrote the post for some reason.
But do you know if on yoshis/fod if you can waveland onto the platform then reaction techchase? Just preemptively jump up if they're at a high enough % to get on it after a dthrow.
Maybe even NIL on bf, that'd be sexy as hell.
You mean punishing off dthrow? Yeah I use NIL all the time, wL is much slower since you can instant dash out of NIL. Great on DL also.

Oldiz

Smash Apprentice
But do you actually have time to do a falcon style techchase off of it? Since they can't roll as far ganon could be able to cover all options by reaction.

Oldiz

Smash Apprentice
I meant when you dthrow them so that they land on a plat, but it might be better to go for a read with a stomp anyway.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
I meant when you dthrow them so that they land on a plat, but it might be better to go for a read with a stomp anyway.
That's what I thought you meant LOL. NIL instant dash grab is mad legit. As long as you backjump you can hold forward as soon as you leave the ground and you'll NIL right above you.

Glennwood

Smash Cadet
NNID
nuclearglenn
Lol I'm not even trying to. I just try to help the Ganon meta.

Show me a Ganon vs top sheik match where the Ganon loses and didn't make some awful mistakes. Just saying.
Dude, I super appreciate your optimism honestly. The ride or die attitude it what I like to see. Hell man I credit one of my wins to you at my weekly today. Buddy goes sheik so I second guess myself and pick my marth. What happens is my marth loses, close but not close enough for me to feel comfortable, I thought for a bit and decided "What would ace do?" and I came to the conclusion "GO ****ING GANON" so of course I went Ganon and took the set. Was such a good feeling, I've thought about dropping him or pocketing him so many times but then I think of the advice and how someday I want to push the Meta WITH you. Ganon's are a dying breed and it is good to have a player who no matter what sticks to his guns at all times and for that I thank you man.

Potet

Smash Rookie
Dude, I super appreciate your optimism honestly. The ride or die attitude it what I like to see. Hell man I credit one of my wins to you at my weekly today. Buddy goes sheik so I second guess myself and pick my marth. What happens is my marth loses, close but not close enough for me to feel comfortable, I thought for a bit and decided "What would ace do?" and I came to the conclusion "GO ****ING GANON" so of course I went Ganon and took the set. Was such a good feeling, I've thought about dropping him or pocketing him so many times but then I think of the advice and how someday I want to push the Meta WITH you. Ganon's are a dying breed and it is good to have a player who no matter what sticks to his guns at all times and for that I thank you man.
amen brother. Even though i'm relatively new to the scene I'm prepared to help and be helped by my fellow ganon mains to push the meta. Lets do this guys!

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
That's ****ing awesome dude. Way to 20GT that guy.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Bruh how do you DI the sheik cg? Answer that before I explain more
I DI Sheik's downthrow up/slightly to the sides so I can reach the platform at 50% if I got grabbed below 50%. They can't combo with direct tilts, they have to techchase on Yoshi's.

When you make a decision, you gotta believe in it 100% that's the mindset needed to get Ws. ;) Probably why you lost with Marth from the get-go.

Last edited:

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
I meant without platforms.

Random but when you tech on a platform, tech in place to immediate shield drop is super good.

Last edited:

Glennwood

Smash Cadet
NNID
nuclearglenn
I DI Sheik's downthrow up/slightly to the sides so I can reach the platform at 50% if I got grabbed below 50%. They can't combo with direct tilts, they have to techchase on Yoshi's.

When you make a decision, you gotta believe in it 100% that's the mindset needed to get Ws. ;) Probably why you lost with Marth from the get-go.
That makes sense, it's more of a mix of, I wasn't confident and my Marth just isn't as good as my Ganon.

ManXan

Smash Rookie
I know i'm late to the Ganon party, it sucks that as soon as I want to pick him up I see this https://twitter.com/kagethewarrior/status/754550023044472832. All you guys definitely convinced me that I should be maining Ganon from seeing combo videos to always hearing talk about how passionate you guys are about this character. Where should I start as a new Ganon player? I have his movement down really well but that's about it, from the matches i've played with him thus far it seems as though I struggle with people who zone me out. Also, you guys rock for how active this thread is. I tried to read through as much as I can before posting and there is SO much information compiled here that I didn't really know where to start! Also, congrats to Linguini for making top 64 at CEO and bodying MacD! :ganondorfmelee:

Swagic

Smash Journeyman
I know i'm late to the Ganon party, it sucks that as soon as I want to pick him up I see this https://twitter.com/kagethewarrior/status/754550023044472832. All you guys definitely convinced me that I should be maining Ganon from seeing combo videos to always hearing talk about how passionate you guys are about this character. Where should I start as a new Ganon player? I have his movement down really well but that's about it, from the matches i've played with him thus far it seems as though I struggle with people who zone me out. Also, you guys rock for how active this thread is. I tried to read through as much as I can before posting and there is SO much information compiled here that I didn't really know where to start! Also, congrats to Linguini for making top 64 at CEO and bodying MacD! :ganondorfmelee:
Movement and ledge stuff is probably the most important stuff. When you say you have movement down, how consistent is it? You're going to need upwards of 90% consistency to succeed, because flubs will get you killed. But if you have it all super consistent, start chaining a few thing together, like SHWL-ftilt, or wavelanding off a platform, then FFWL on the main stage.

Glennwood

Smash Cadet
NNID
nuclearglenn
What I did when I first got on this board was read through pages and write notes down in a pad I have. All the info I found on MUs, setups, his disadvantages, punishes and much much more. If you have your movement down I'd personally recommend you work on spacing which should come fairly quickly and don't forget to master edge guarding as that is where Ganon shines really well.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
If I was still in SFL I'd try a few tourneys as Marth and see how it goes, but I'll always be a Ganon main.

In central Georgia again currently, not enough time to go body people

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
If I was still in SFL I'd try a few tourneys as Marth and see how it goes, but I'll always be a Ganon main.

In central Georgia again currently, not enough time to go body people
Just let me know when you pass by NC and I'll see if we can hang for a night.

Potet

Smash Rookie
What I did when I first got on this board was read through pages and write notes down in a pad I have. All the info I found on MUs, setups, his disadvantages, punishes and much much more. If you have your movement down I'd personally recommend you work on spacing which should come fairly quickly and don't forget to master edge guarding as that is where Ganon shines really well.
Like a physical pad or a notepad file? If it's a notepad file could you post it somewhere? As a new-ish player the condensed info would really help me! :grin:

ManXan

Smash Rookie
Like a physical pad or a notepad file? If it's a notepad file could you post it somewhere? As a new-ish player the condensed info would really help me! :grin:
M ManXan check locke's thread "the golden nuggets of the Ganon boards"
Just google "The Golden Nugget of the Ganon Boards" and the first link should take you to a place where someone was kind enough to sort through all of the info and compile it into topics that you can click on. It REALLY saved me so much time.

Glennwood

Smash Cadet
NNID
nuclearglenn
A physical notebook sorry man, I take it to tournament and read it over and stuff. If it wasn't I'd would give you the file. I'd just type it up and post it but I have so much info in it.

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
Not impossible I'll take i-85 next time to stop by one of my gf's relatives, in which case I'd be going through Charlotte. I'll let you know
Sick

Just google "The Golden Nugget of the Ganon Boards" and the first link should take you to a place where someone was kind enough to sort through all of the info and compile it into topics that you can click on. It REALLY saved me so much time.
You're welcome.

tm

Smash Ace
do sheiks crouch where you are TM? i think that's when i got the most annoyed with that matchup; when jab and grab miss and you get counterhit cause the ***** is crouching, a piece of rage i didn't know i had welled up inside me LOL

on
not as much as they should, but I tell them to lol. It's really ****ing good but still subject to counterplay

Can't ganon reaction techchase on platforms though? He has to cover less distance. Then continue the CG could be pretty effective.
Depends on how far away from you they land and how high the platform is / how far they fell from above it. A lot of the time you can cover all 3 techs with grab, but you can't cover missed tech if you go for that.

At 50% try slight behind and no DI. Try angles so close to straight up they can't decide which side to grab you. They'll miss. It tests whether they're perfect or not quickly.
This is what I do once I keep them honest with dash and turnaround. Even with ganons huge body, most people are very bad at it, and I escape so regularly that most players just start utilting around 50 or even less. Then you can option select SDI out of the utilt behind them and uair instantly.

Lol this sheik **** is going too far. Accepting all MMs my ganon vs any ganon-main's sheik except ACE lol

Bwmat

Smash Ace
Hit me up if you're ever in Vancouver lol, got a pocket sheik

Last edited:
Top Bottom