• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A How to Wreck *****es with Ganon?- Linguini Q&A Thread

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
@ -ACE- -ACE- I know Bert | Grouch. He goes to my school.

Former Ganon Main now he plays fox. Decent player. Sucks at the ganon matchup. You should be able to beat him, I've never lost a game to him in tournament (as fox or ganon).

I also have to agree with you on ledge hop jab. I used to use it a lot, now, not so much. I should implement it into my game again.

Last edited:

n0ne

Smash Ace
u know why i went mario? to teach u to stop ****in doing shield grabs. I actually planned it and was gonna call u out on that over here. stop doing it and start WDing out of shield. Same thing with the buffer rolls. i punished almost all of them.

Learn to make pressure not scare u as long as u have space to retreat.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
buffered roll is still almost always better than a shieldgrab attempt with no shield DI. n0ne just had a read on coast's habits and took advantage of the lack of exp vs Mario. I'm positive coast will commit less and give mario slightly more space in neutral next time. Gotta space the living **** out of bair.

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
Snapchat-1464785062461195412.jpg
The red dots are people I am undefeated against... Not just a positive record. And I have yet to drop a game to grouch or moxxy.

I've also taken games from Matt R and 7ent and sets from everyone else besides Ripple, who I have yet to play in tournament.

Wtf is this ****?

Last edited:

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
I'd put myself and 14k at 3-6. Ripple doesn't even live in Champaign anymore, I'm not really sure why he's still on the PR. No doubt he's good, but if I left, I wouldn't be on there lol.

I would say PRZ, 14k, and sizzle should be above me... giving all the benefit of the doubt. While sizzle and I go back and forth head-to-head, he has impressive wins against other players that I don't have. Same with PRZ, though he has yet to beat me.

14k is just solid, but he isn't ranked highly for the same reason I'm not ranked highly... inactivity. But, shlt, just because you don't compete all that often doesn't mean you can't wreck people when you DO compete.

Last edited:

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
fvck man if PPMD ONLY ENTERED APEX but won every year, defeating everyone.... It would be very hard for me not to call him #1. The attendance requirement should be adjusted by knowledgeable PR panelists for out of the ordinary circumstances.

Last edited:

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
Congrats on the PR ranking! I'm so far off from making PR in my region. New England is a bad region for how big it is, but it is still a big region that's better than a lot of the smaller regions. I

I've been thinking about mentality a lot lately. Specifically, the concept of the flow state. When I was a kid, I could enter into this state on a whim. I didn't know how to describe it, but it's what I did whenever I played chess or played a violin concert. I would fully immerse myself in an activity and constantly narrate what I was doing to myself. Now that I actually know what it is, I'm astounded I was able to do that when I was younger and I'm sad that I no longer am as mentally tenacious as I used to be.

But I'm finding some weird ways to work around this. Music seems to help me clear my mind and fully focus on something. And letting my emotions flow through the game seems to work too. A lot of people say you need to always stay calm and collected. But I don't think you have to be calm at all to play at your best.

I don't know if any of you guys are Star Wars fans, but I'm kind of one. I'd describe this new mentality I'm trying to develop for tournaments as being very similar to the vaapad variation of the seventh form of lightsaber combat.

Wookieepedia said:
Vaapad was described as more than a fighting style; it was a state of mind that led through the penumbra of the dark side, requiring the user to enjoy the fight, and relish the satisfaction of winning. The practitioner of Vaapad would accept the fury of their opponent, transforming them into one half of a superconducting loop, with the other half being the power of darkness inherent in the opponent.
Playing to enjoy the fight and the struggle is a great way to play. Even when you're down, you don't let it rattle you. In fact, sometimes being down is more exhilarating.

Last edited:

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
one of the MUs that i dont know LOL

i was so scared to go offstage and edgeguard and i didnt know what to do when you were pressuring my shield or how to DI when i was getting combod. RIP.
Really simple **** like fair jab, bair ftilt, etc works wonders against Mario and Doc. Uthrow at low percents, dthrow at higher percents. To edgeguard grab the ledge and treat it like Marth. I've gotten a lot of experience in this MU as one of the best doc mains around is in NE.

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
Dthrow uair is given at low% also.
I'm not 100% but I think there is a percent range where they can nair out. What I like about uthrow is you always avoid that and you can sometimes bait them into burning their double jump because they think you were too slow when in reality you're going for the bigger punish.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
I'd say it's worth testing. I know dthrow uair, and even pivot uair hit before nair on peach at 0% (frame perfect). Luigi can't nair out either.

That said, I use a lot of high ftilt at near 0% since it's so easy.

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
I'd say it's worth testing. I know dthrow uair, and even pivot uair hit before nair on peach at 0% (frame perfect). Luigi can't nair out either.

That said, I use a lot of high ftilt at near 0% since it's so easy.
I avoid tilting out of throws if I can. I don't like how it resets things back to neutral. The only time I do it is on Falcon when I can put him offstage with a uthrow ftilt.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
I avoid tilting out of throws if I can. I don't like how it resets things back to neutral. The only time I do it is on Falcon when I can put him offstage with a uthrow ftilt.
It doesn't always reset. Think about their DI options while they're trying to spam nair. You can often follow up. Uair is best. Nair could be best if it had a hitbox that comes out on frame 6 like uair, but as it is there are so many matchups where the uair his only a few frames before they can nair, making use of nair difficult. Every time I see kage dthrow nair a peach, I always think "damn, that was close" she can nair out.

Also don't forget dthrow ftilt is a VERY important finisher vs spacies (100-120 range). Wizkick won't hit if they DI fully behind (even at 125-135%), and even the window for DI away is small. Wizkick hits any DI that isn't full left/right though.

Uhhh Ian.....
Stage control bro. A good chunk of your decision making should be based on the capabilities of the shine alone. It's hard to SDI out of a waveshine when the second shine is the one putting you offstage. If you are between fox and the ledge, know that you can't stay there long. He's most likely coming at you soon. You used this situation to your advantage kinda in that gfycat of you vs rice (shielddrop wL uairx3 dair).

Remember to be really selective with your approaches when he's at 0%. Remember how well dash attack is at knocking them down. When he's >30% is a different game. Think dirty tricks and quick kills.

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
Yeah I like to nair peaches too until they show me they can nair out. But most do not see it coming.

The thing is that tilting is most likely to reset things to neutral. Sure, maybe you'll get them on a platform, or they'll DI in hard and still be close to you. But I just don't like how it's not guaranteed.

The one tilt I am a big fan of out of throws, however, is dtilt. When a falcon fails to DI a uthrow or a dthrow at certain percentages, dtilt is sick. Sets up for a big ass combo.

At the percent range where dthrow ftilt works you can just uthrow bair. Even if they DI in front of you you can still get off pivot bair. But I guess dthrow ftilt is better if you're under a platform or something.

spider_sense

Smash Champion
@ -ACE- -ACE- Hit me up asap bro. lol

Ian Fox is a homo, but with that being said just keep a solid mid range when facing off. Fox has to come to you so therefore he has to commit with somewhat risky approaches. Shines can be asdi and if you suspect another one you can asdi and roll away. Dash dance and give him a false sense of security when he thinks he's got you figured out and tries to nair or full hop at you. All his moves are horizontal; I'll try to post more on Fox when I get the time but my brain/body is fried from work lol.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Yeah I like to nair peaches too until they show me they can nair out. But most do not see it coming.

The thing is that tilting is most likely to reset things to neutral. Sure, maybe you'll get them on a platform, or they'll DI in hard and still be close to you. But I just don't like how it's not guaranteed.

The one tilt I am a big fan of out of throws, however, is dtilt. When a falcon fails to DI a uthrow or a dthrow at certain percentages, dtilt is sick. Sets up for a big *** combo.

At the percent range where dthrow ftilt works you can just uthrow bair. Even if they DI in front of you you can still get off pivot bair. But I guess dthrow ftilt is better if you're under a platform or something.
No no no. If they are trying to nair, they are not DI'ing. Unless they ****ing claw when a Ganon grabs them lmao. I'm just saying ftilt is a great option if you aren't confident with being FP with a uair when it is required.

You cannot uthrow bair reliably. Good players know DI'ing away from Ganon is safest (no chance for pivot bair). Dthrow ftilt IS guaranteed though, and better even on FD. There is almost always something more reliable out of dthrow unless you are under a plat AND you can't cg.

@ spider_sense spider_sense call me dude

Last edited:

spider_sense

Smash Champion
No no no. If they are trying to nair, they are not DI'ing. Unless they ****ing claw when a Ganon grabs them lmao. I'm just saying ftilt is a great option if you aren't confident with being FP with a uair when it is required.

You cannot uthrow bair reliably. Good players know DI'ing away from Ganon is safest (no chance for pivot bair). Dthrow ftilt IS guaranteed though, and better even on FD. There is almost always something more reliable out of dthrow unless you are under a plat AND you can't cg.

Let me catch some zzz's and I'll blow your phone up later lol

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord

I've never had much trouble being FP with the uair. You can just buffer the jump and doing instant uair is just muscle memory for me at this point.

You can't bair out of a pivot? I have only recently begun implementing that into my game so I wasn't sure. But around 120 couldn't you just fair out of uthrow? I know for a fact you can uair, and I'd much rather do that than ftilt. I see Kage do these setups on spacies at high percents off the uthrow all the time and they seem like the most optimal punishes.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Yeah FP uair isn't hard, lol.

You can bair out of a pivot, sure. You just can't dash or jump like captain falcon so DI away is safe for them. That's why uthrow is good when a plat is in front of you, the only DI that used to be safe for them now forces them to tech within your range. Without the plat (or if you grab him near the ledge) he can always DI the uthrow away and we have no punish :<

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
I have to test this out, because I feel like I should be able to uair him even if he DIs all the way away from me at like 100+

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Lol spidey was at his technical peak around 6-12 months ago. His job is killing his smash time. He's still maaaad technical though, f ear not. We're def gonna grind some tech before Vegas.

Last edited:

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Lol I'll be honest I'm like 0/250 on that tech. Always airdodge a pixel below the plat. I advised spidey and tipman that the tech wasn't worth spending the time to master unless the particular way you RLD makes it easier. It's all about consistency then and hardly anyone can do that one on command in a tourney atmosphere.

Superspright

Smash Lord
Lol I'll be honest I'm like 0/250 on that tech. Always airdodge a pixel below the plat. I advised spidey and tipman that the tech wasn't worth spending the time to master unless the particular way you RLD makes it easier. It's all about consistency then and hardly anyone can do that one on command in a tourney atmosphere.
What are we talking about?...

Top Bottom