• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A How to Wreck *****es with Ganon?- Linguini Q&A Thread

Yort

Smash Apprentice
People were talking earlier about moonwalk edgeguards.

What are the moonwalk edgeguard options

I can pretty much moonwalk in either direction and get good distance out of waveland and wd consistently but i'm not sure how to use it. The only thing I use it for is to waveland moonwalk butt grab people who are holding shield.

Last edited:

Bizzarro Flame

Smash Lord
There's a lot of moonwalk edgeguard options.

First, just waveland to moonwalk and grab the ledge to steal it from unsuspecting space animals who try to side-B recover.

Second, waveland to moonwalk to up-air off the stage when you are in the middle of the stage.

Third, waveland to moonwalk to b-air off the stage when you are in the middle of the stage.

Fourth, waveland to moonwalk to d-air off the stage for swag points.

Fifth, waveland to moonwalk to down-b spike off the stage on the last stock for super swag.

Last edited:

Yort

Smash Apprentice
There's a lot of moonwalk edgeguard options.

First, just waveland to moonwalk and grab the ledge to steal it from unsuspecting space animals who try to side-B recover.

Second, waveland to moonwalk to up-air off the stage when you are in the middle of the stage.

Third, waveland to moonwalk to b-air off the stage when you are in the middle of the stage.

Fourth, waveland to moonwalk to d-air off the stage for swag points.

Fifth, waveland to moonwalk to down-b spike off the stage on the last stock for super swag.
Thanks alot. What else do you use moonwalk for? In neutral and stuff.

Like what goes through your mind when you go for stuff like

http://gfycat.com/UglyMinorGemsbuck

What visual cues make you think the peach will hold shield for that long for example.

I want to apply moonwalking as best as possible but i'm not sure how yet. It's such a fun input and looks very smooth on ganon

Superspright

Smash Lord
It's best used after a combo so you can get into a good edge-guard position, or as a pseudoapproach. I like using grab out of it sometimes, or dash attack if they read the grab and try to jump OoS.

why

Smash Rookie
On the topic of moonwalking, I have been having trouble getting the inputs in. Whenever I try, Ganon just moves forward a little bit. Anyone have any tips on how to make this easier?

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Just try to get to the other side fast as fvck lol. Even if you miss it. Keep doing the motion as fast as you possibly can over and over and it'll get easier.

-FEMTO-

Smash Rookie
NNID
HappySalesman
I sucked at moonwalking at first, I only knew about the half-circle method. But now that I know of the three-point method my life has become much easier.

Bizzarro Flame

Smash Lord
Thanks alot. What else do you use moonwalk for? In neutral and stuff.

Like what goes through your mind when you go for stuff like

http://gfycat.com/UglyMinorGemsbuck

What visual cues make you think the peach will hold shield for that long for example.

I want to apply moonwalking as best as possible but i'm not sure how yet. It's such a fun input and looks very smooth on ganon
The reason why I knew the peach would hold shield for that long is because most of the time Ganondorf does an aerial after a short hop. I knew he would be scared at that moment and pull out his shield for that long so I decided to do a SH perfect waveland and moonwalk for distance to grab him in his shield.

Sometimes, it's just instincts we can't explain through words.

For the neutral game, I use it to jab out of it as well.

YvngFlameHoe

Smash Ace
Amazing video. I expect an explanation of the subliminal message about you know what =P

Serious post but have you Ganon mains ever had a hard time with erection with your girl after losing to a Sheik at a tournament? **** Sheik.
Just don't think of sheik during, grab her breast, E-Z$

Last edited:

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
Actually, Bizz, I've been meaning to talk to you about sheik.

Edge guarding: a couple of reasons why I prefer ledge get up instead of ledge hop: here and here.

Ledge get up is almost as fast as a ledge hop and it covers a recovery to the ledge. If the sheik decides to recover on stage, you still have plenty of time to run up and grab her and then bair. If she decides to DI forward, just keep chain grabbing until you get the DI behind and bar to reset the situation.

Last edited:

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
First example, he should have just regrabbed the ledge and wait to punish landing lag on reaction (only ledgehop is fast enough for this). In this case he would have gotten an easy edgehog. Second example, yeah stand up.

Stand up is really good when edgeguarding sheik, but it's often only as good as the ledge regrab beforehand. Gotta grab the ledge at the last possible instant before you're hit and wait out 99% of your invincibility before inputting standup. Then you'll have the edgehog effect and be able to follow up on her other options.

Last edited:

YvngFlameHoe

Smash Ace

Edge guarding: a couple of reasons why I prefer ledge get up instead of ledge hop: here and here.

Ledge get up is almost as fast as a ledge hop and it covers a recovery to the ledge. If the sheik decides to recover on stage, you still have plenty of time to run up and grab her and then bair. If she decides to DI forward, just keep chain grabbing until you get the DI behind and bar to reset the situation.
There must be a gfycat board, cause they make these WAY too quick lol

tm

Smash Ace
Ledgehop is perfectly fine if the poof is too far away to hit you. You only NEED to stand when you've run out of ledge invincibility and she poofs near you. What makes it hard is that you have to discipline yourself to wait and see where she went before actually doing it. Just sit there if she went to ledge / straight up, anything else ledgehop grab or ledgehop then bair her offstage (depending on positioning and %), or ledgehop fsmash / dair if she's high enough %.

Bizzarro Flame

Smash Lord

Great gifs. I used to do ledge get up, but for some reason I forgot about it. I think I got frustrated when I accidentally ledge jumped instead of ledge get up in the past. Will implement ASAP!

Moy

Where's the coffee cake?
Slippi.gg
MOY#56
@ Moy Moy you gotta shield grab the ****ty falco pressure dude :(
Did you see that phantom fair I got 3rd game? Definitely feel like I should've won the set if that didn't happen - he wouldn't have gotten all his momentum back.

But you're right, a lot of his pressure wasn't safe. He's usually better at keeping it safe, which is why I was respecting him a lot. I've gotten shined from trying to shieldgrab WAY too many times.

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
Ledgehop is perfectly fine if the poof is too far away to hit you. You only NEED to stand when you've run out of ledge invincibility and she poofs near you. What makes it hard is that you have to discipline yourself to wait and see where she went before actually doing it. Just sit there if she went to ledge / straight up, anything else ledgehop grab or ledgehop then bair her offstage (depending on positioning and %), or ledgehop fsmash / dair if she's high enough %.
This is good advice. I usually just prefer to ledge get up because my reaction time is pretty bad and it's kind of a safety net. If you're using ledge hop like you say, I'm sure that it's just a matter of preference.

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
Well, even if she's too far away to hit you with the poof, you should stand when she has the option to sweetspot because she can just take the ledge from you if you ledgehop. It becomes tricky when she has the option to sweet spot and the option to recover just above the ledge so that standing up won't allow you enough to hit her before she drops to the ledge. In that situation, you HAVE to guess. It's usually a better idea to stand up because it covers 2/3 general recovery options.

But a lot of times, Sheik isn't recovering at the proper trajectory to land in such a way that she can fall to the ledge before you can hit her after standing up. Recognizing the distinction between a scenario where she has that option, and a scenario where she doesn't is imperative to edgeguarding decent Sheiks.

tm

Smash Ace
Well, even if she's too far away to hit you with the poof, you should stand when she has the option to sweetspot because she can just take the ledge from you if you ledgehop. It becomes tricky when she has the option to sweet spot and the option to recover just above the ledge so that standing up won't allow you enough to hit her before she drops to the ledge. In that situation, you HAVE to guess. It's usually a better idea to stand up because it covers 2/3 general recovery options.

But a lot of times, Sheik isn't recovering at the proper trajectory to land in such a way that she can fall to the ledge before you can hit her after standing up. Recognizing the distinction between a scenario where she has that option, and a scenario where she doesn't is imperative to edgeguarding decent Sheiks.
What do you mean? She can't take ledge unless you get off of it, and I'm saying don't get off of it until you have visual confirmation that she'll land onstage. Doing ledgehop at that moment still puts you onstage before stand from ledge during the poof would as far as I can tell.

Coastward

Smash Lord
playing street fighter again made me really appreciate creating space with your moves instead of always trying to predict their movement and covering it with some random ****.

whos tryna get my t. hawk **** tho?

Top Bottom