• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A How to Wreck *****es with Ganon?- Linguini Q&A Thread

Bizzarro Flame

Smash Lord
I seriously doubt that. It's pretty ****ing amazing in this game

P.S. Thanks Tommy
I used to love it because I was able to do a f-smash after reverse up-air reset assuming they didn't roll, but the problem is that they can roll after a up-air reset above a certain percentage, having you to guess (1/3 chance) again due to the lag of your L-cancelled reverse up-air.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Lol nice. One of my favorites on spacies is reverse uair spike, drop zone dair, dj dair their meteor cancel. Destruction.

Bizz I'm pretty sure most of us thought you were referring to the reverse uair spike in general and not it's reset properties. I see what you mean now.

Last edited:

Yort

Smash Apprentice
I've never seen Eikelmann pop off that hard

And watching bizz almost win the foundry last night was pretty exciting

good day for ganondorf

spider_sense

Smash Champion
Is double jumping to waveland on a platform optimal? Is there any advantage to single jump wavelanding?
The "noobish way" would probably hold diagonally in the direction you're wavelanding , which actually isn't that bad because you're able to CC on platforms, which makes shield dropping a little easier imo. lol Ian popping off hard.

@ Linguini - Brah, we need to blaze it.

Last edited:

tm

Smash Ace
Lol they were quite impressed by the cg to fsmash.

Edit: browsed around gator gaming's vids, good to see Emilio making an occasional appearance. He still has a lot of good habits for someone that never practices. Posting since people asked about jiggs recently.

Linguini vs randompuffplayer1
(First 2 matches)
http://youtu.be/Yq9e7yXJjXc

Linguini vs randompuffplayer2
(First match)
http://youtu.be/XC0mstnW9Z0
Me: oh sweet, I'll get to see how another great player handles the MU
> by buying a gun a growing a tail

oh well

Bwmat

Smash Ace
I'm just re-discovering how ****ing good invincible landed ledgehop uair is for edgeguarding, wow.

I'm going to grind this ****.

Last edited:

Superspright

Smash Lord
It ain't the trees. It's the drug tests lol. Makes no sense how long that sh*t stays in your system.
Yeah it is pretty stupid. I haven't been drug-tested fortunately. I could be, and it's stupid that I smoke but if I didn't I'd probably be bipolar as ****.

Yort

Smash Apprentice
Drug tests aren't too bad if you know how to detox a few weeks in advance

Still a pain in the ass though. Just a forced t break lol.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Aside from this.... I'll have to look. Anything specific? Or just everything lol

It's a zoning matchup. You can compete with his range if you can keep a half step ahead of him.

Fully spaced bair beats anything.

Be selective with fair or you'll get bodied.

Uair is golden when he jumps and at short range (retreating uair scoop)

Nair is a great way to put him on a platform at low to low/mid% and get a free techchase. Use this after a dthrow or dair when platforms are around.

You beat marth by getting him offstage and edgeguarding him.

If he is spamming sh double fairs, and you shield the first one, you can uair oos before the second one (won't work if he spaces the fair well).

Shield DI is your friend. Use it to change your position in close quarters while you're being pressured. For instance, if you shield his fair, and you're holding down and in, you can get shield grabs much more often.

If he approaches you aggressively and goes through you, aim your bair oos for the tip of his head (shield poke).

If you condition him to shield when expecting an aerial, either fastfall and tomahawk or don't ff and aim the heel of Ganon's boot on marth's exposed feet (shield poke).

Grab, grab, grab. You can obviously aerial out of it and get a guaranteed hit, but try to get 2 and actually send him offstage (like I said nair is great for this at low-ish%.

If you shield a fsmash, you can wavedash oos and grab him.

You can chaingrab him to like 15% (definitely 2 regrabs if you don't pummel) and more if he DI'S full behind.

ASDI, and SDI his hits away/down + away, and get back on your feet ASAP. Never make it easy for him to maintain control.

Don't over-commit to ANYTHING. Try to "float like a butterfly and sting like a bee"

That's just off the top of my head. Try searching these boards. This matchup has been discussed a ton on here.

Coastward

Smash Lord
Aside from this.... I'll have to look. Anything specific? Or just everything lol
this was pretty good, just needed a reminder of what i needed to do in the MU.

been playing it like **** recently, struggling with maintain space and i keep getting grabbed and just keep getting grabbed afterwards. thanks man.

Yort

Smash Apprentice
ACE I would like a bit of clarification on something I have been thinking about.

The idea is to immediately shorthop after throw and be ready for a back air for of missed tech / tech in place and also be able to react to tech roll away with a waveland grab.

Is this theoretically impossible? Are there too many frames required to waveland grab tech roll away?

I messed around with it alot and it feels slow and most likely not viable but I also feel like maybe with up throw at certain percents you would have enough time. I am probably wrong though just looking for clarification.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
ACE I would like a bit of clarification on something I have been thinking about.

The idea is to immediately shorthop after throw and be ready for a back air for of missed tech / tech in place and also be able to react to tech roll away with a waveland grab.

Is this theoretically impossible? Are there too many frames required to waveland grab tech roll away?

I messed around with it alot and it feels slow and most likely not viable but I also feel like maybe with up throw at certain percents you would have enough time. I am probably wrong though just looking for clarification.
Great thinking @ Yort Yort but it's unnecessary thankfully. Input the bair ASAP, as in before you reach the peak of your sh, then fastfall. It will auto-cancel if they don't tech in place, so you can just dash and jc grab them when they roll through you.

Last edited:

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
this was pretty good, just needed a reminder of what i needed to do in the MU.

been playing it like **** recently, struggling with maintain space and i keep getting grabbed and just keep getting grabbed afterwards. thanks man.
CC dtilt can really bring you some profit via free uair/possible fair. Not sure of specifics but it works often.

Avoiding the grab can be done by making fast decisions while in mid-air like Yort was talking about. You can't be whiffing aerials... if you'll whiff and you know it, waveland instead.

Marth is one of those matchups where it really pays to scare him into shield and grab him, since even Ganon, who can compete with Marth's range, still has trouble getting inside. Think tomahawks, and platform wl grabs often. Grab + aerial beats an aerial any day.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Yeah it is pretty stupid. I haven't been drug-tested fortunately. I could be, and it's stupid that I smoke but if I didn't I'd probably be bipolar as ****.
That's pretty backwards, when I smoke these days I feel like Im an entirely different person. Must stop before brain melts. Im getting old too so a body does not tolerate **** that much anymore which means its time to be strict. I'm believing in the fact that if you smoke too much you can create a schizo problem lol.

Anyways, ya Im buying some hard liquor before coming to toronto so.. we'll see if we can find time to party a little. Would be pretty funny to do the MM drunk @ n0ne n0ne

Last edited:

Vandire

Smash Cadet
Hello everybody.

My name is Tim "Vandire" Fletcher. I'm an Illinois Marth main for Melee and a Roy/Marth main for Project M. I'm an intermediate player who is still learning the ropes but on my way to become a better player. Recently, I have been having doubts about my own mains. It may be just my frustration with having problems with them, or in a case i've been having.. they seem bland.

It's just a forward throw to fairs and up airs all game. Recently, with Apex and VOD's, Ganon has been peaking my interest quite alot. Even when i first started playing, and I first saw Ganon in a match in Melee, I literally told myself, " This monster is pulling mid-air Gears of War curb stomps. I wanna do it." But, at the time, was told to pick a high tier to learn at a faster rate.

I've heard the Ganon family is an incredible family. I've been talking with Eikelmann and he told me you guys are the best family to grace Smash.

I'm willing to drop my high tier and learn entirely from scratch on this ruthless, violent, head kicking demon. Show me tips, vids, anything you got for me. Show me a reason to change.

-Vandire

( orginal post: http://smashboards.com/threads/a-reason-to-change.391946/)

Last edited:

tm

Smash Ace
Well guys, I finally placed well in singles, winning a local! Played very well (maybe my best) and beat everyone there, including a strong player who has always had the upper hand on me. As far as 'winning a tournament' goes, it's not much, but this is a big milestone for me and I see it as just the beginning.

Hello everybody.

My name is Tim "Vandire" Fletcher. I'm an Illinois Marth main for Melee and a Roy/Marth main for Project M. I'm an intermediate player who is still learning the ropes but on my way to become a better player. Recently, I have been having doubts about my own mains. It may be just my frustration with having problems with them, or in a case i've been having.. they seem bland.

It's just a forward throw to fairs and up airs all game. Recently, with Apex and VOD's, Ganon has been peaking my interest quite alot. Even when i first started playing, and I first saw Ganon in a match in Melee, I literally told myself, " This monster is pulling mid-air Gears of War curb stomps. I wanna do it." But, at the time, was told to pick a high tier to learn at a faster rate.

I've heard the Ganon family is an incredible family. I've been talking with Eikelmann and he told me you guys are the best family to grace Smash.

I'm willing to drop my high tier and learn entirely from scratch on this ruthless, violent, head kicking demon. Show me tips, vids, anything you got for me. Show me a reason to change.

-Vandire

( orginal post: http://smashboards.com/threads/a-reason-to-change.391946/)
Welcome! I don't have anything particularly inspiring to say, and I won't tell you that "Ganondorf is THE WAY!!", but there are plenty of reasons that maining ganon can be a very fun & fulfilling experience. It all comes down to what you want out of the game. If "winning" the most and getting higher results and being the most successful player are your goals, then you probably shouldn't play ganondorf. If having fun is your goal, and playing ganondorf isn't as fun for you as other characters, then you should also probably not play him. (I think most people fit into one of those two categories)
I think even among all of us ganon mains here, we have a lot of different reasons for playing him. I think it would be cool if we all shared, actually :)

Tribulation

Smash Rookie
Well guys, I finally placed well in singles, winning a local! Played very well (maybe my best) and beat everyone there, including a strong player who has always had the upper hand on me. As far as 'winning a tournament' goes, it's not much, but this is a big milestone for me and I see it as just the beginning.

Welcome! I don't have anything particularly inspiring to say, and I won't tell you that "Ganondorf is THE WAY!!", but there are plenty of reasons that maining ganon can be a very fun & fulfilling experience. It all comes down to what you want out of the game. If "winning" the most and getting higher results and being the most successful player are your goals, then you probably shouldn't play ganondorf. If having fun is your goal, and playing ganondorf isn't as fun for you as other characters, then you should also probably not play him. (I think most people fit into one of those two categories)
I think even among all of us ganon mains here, we have a lot of different reasons for playing him. I think it would be cool if we all shared, actually :)
I started out as a Marth main myself, I dropped him for Ganon last June. The reason for me was very simple, when I played as Marth, I was not having fun with every match, but Ganon is just too much fun for me to not play him. I have found that I seem to be having more fun in my matches, no matter the outcome, then a lot of other people that play the game do.

Also, I'm fairly new to competitive melee, only been playing for about a year, and I feel that I have gotten a lot better at the game a lot faster manning Ganon then I would have manning a top tier character. This is because I had to learn how to play the game right, instead of relying on my character to win for me.

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
There are times where I wish I hadn't mained Ganondorf for so long, since I DO want to win and be the best. I've been thinking lately about what could have been, but that's a useless fantasy that really gets me nowhere. I stuck with Ganon in the beginning because it was mostly due to Bl@ck Chris giving me advice on how to play Ganon before I even came onto the Ganon boards. If it wasn't for him, I don't know who I would be maining instead (It might have been Ganondorf anyway... or maybe back to Link... rofl)

I feel like there are two important times in everyone's smash career that it is totally safe to switch characters to a different main. Within the first 6 months of playing competitively, or before you get a true understanding of the character, to all the way until you nearly "master" the character and are ready to move on to something better after having "discovered" all that your character has to offer (which more often than not isn't true). I'm stuck in the transition phase of really trying to "master" Ganondorf and knowing so much about how he functions and how to play him that playing any other character feels really out of the loop for me. It could also be that Ganon is just the kind of character for me, but I'm not absolutely sure. I'm mostly sticking with Ganondorf because I feel like I have no other choice in the matter and I don't want to go backwards in my improvement just because of a character choice. I've been more motivated than before to really nail this character down and be a threat to everyone.

I don't know if I'm forever "destined" to be a Ganon main for life, but I know that I want my first successes to be with this character, as I have nothing under the belt as of yet (I haven't taken sets off of really good players yet). No point in thinking about what I could have done, I just gotta keep pushing forward, make my tech skill easy muscle memory, tighten my tech skill, don't waste any frames, don't mess up wavedashes, always space your aerials well and fast, etc. I've kind of fallen in love with this character over time, as I really like the way Ganon looks in Melee, I like his sounds, his moves feel powerful, I can really get immersed in this character, and that's how you know that you really enjoy a character.

Just felt like mumbling a bit. Don't worry about me. I'm really trying to nail down all the errors in my tech skill so that I play technically flawlessly in a game vs someone. I want to get to the point where my tech is flawless and I can concentrate more on decisions to make vs my opponent and adapting. That's the first step to really improving, right? I'm definitely putting in the effort and being hard on myself. I'll get a little mad at myself for messing up tech but it won't upset me that much as it had before. I always have high expectations for myself and I'm always shooting high. Here's hoping that at Olympus I can see some real progress has been made.

Superspright

Smash Lord
That's pretty backwards, when I smoke these days I feel like Im an entirely different person. Must stop before brain melts. Im getting old too so a body does not tolerate **** that much anymore which means its time to be strict. I'm believing in the fact that if you smoke too much you can create a schizo problem lol.

Anyways, ya Im buying some hard liquor before coming to toronto so.. we'll see if we can find time to party a little. Would be pretty funny to do the MM drunk @ n0ne n0ne
Alcohol actually has a higher chance of giving you psychosis believe it or not. I like drinking too, but that's the thing I tend to avoid. My liver won't be able to handle it.

YvngFlameHoe

Smash Ace
How should I set up a way to practice moonwalking? Do I go to training mode and put it at a slower speed? Do I practice with falcon first? Give me a good regimen

tauKhan

Smash Lord
How should I set up a way to practice moonwalking? Do I go to training mode and put it at a slower speed? Do I practice with falcon first? Give me a good regimen
Watch your controller and at first practice to hit opposite down diagonal asap after hitting dash input. Easiest/best mw inputs are :GCR: -> :GCDL: into :GCL:. After a short while when you are confident you can hit the diagonal fast, pick a char and try to mw.

It's probably good to pick falcon for practice since it's easier to see results, and his dash frame windows are the same as Ganons.

Last edited:

YvngFlameHoe

Smash Ace
Is
Watch your controller and at first practice to hit opposite down diagonal asap after hitting dash input. Easiest/best mw inputs are :GCR: -> :GCDL: into :GCL:. After a short while when you are confident you can hit the diagonal fast, pick a char and try to mw.

It's probably good to pick falcon for practice since it's easier to see results, and his dash frame windows are the same as Ganons.
Is it mandatory that I dash back then forward, or can I just dash forward and do the half circle?

Top Bottom