• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A How to Wreck *****es with Ganon?- Linguini Q&A Thread

tm

Smash Ace
They are all short hops if i want them to be and I am very consistent with short hop up air out of shield. I think I learned it this way because I never really learned to jump oos with up on c stick and I've never heard of the double c stick thing ace was talking about. I just jump with Y, go up on analog slightly, and do A. I do not really see what is so difficult with the input, I thought this was the way most falcons do instant up airs and it was the way I learned instant up airs with both falcon and ganon. Experimenting with it now and I can't get my up airs out of shield nearly as fast with Y to c stick up as I can with A button, which feels near instant. I also do this with falco shine bair, feels all around much more plausible to get the quickest shine bair with down b to y to a rather then down b to y to C stick back.
oh ok, if you are consistent with pressing slight up on joystick very quickly then that works fine. Personally I am not that consistent at it (ganon doesn't need to utilt very much... lol) so I would be worried about pressing it too far and double jumping.

Last edited:

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
Today I learned that my retreating short hop bairs weren't hitting running Fox because I was doing them too slow. I started doing it as fast as possible and I noticed that I hit a standing/dashing Falco and Fox. I also learned just how good using instant upair in neutral is. Such a fast and nice move.

Duel

Smash Apprentice
Another question to pick your brains. I love to use a downward angled forward tilt to kill spacies that are trying to recover with illusion, i rarely miss it, but am I better off going for the reverse up air edgeguard?

Last edited:

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Another question to pick your brains. I love to use a downward angled forward tilt to kill spacies that are trying to recover with illusion, i rarely miss it, but am I better off going for the reverse up air edgeguard?
Low ftilt aka the stank leg is great but will not hit a true sweetspot. Reverse uair and dair will though.

Duel

Smash Apprentice
Low ftilt aka the stank leg is great but will not hit a true sweetspot. Reverse uair and dair will though.
Wow, i didn't realize the sweet spot was punishable with reverse u-air, makes me feel like a chump. How does it hit if it's a true sweet spot?

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Wow, i didn't realize the sweet spot was punishable with reverse u-air, makes me feel like a chump. How does it hit if it's a true sweet spot?
It reaches low enough. The uair can require different spacing depending on the move (like in dittos, if your opponent is trying to DJ sweetspot the ledge, you have to space the uair farther away from the stage to hit it. This puts the hitbox of the uair closer to the center of your opponent, who is curled up into a ball while DJ'ing). There could be exceptions (certain characters' up-b's/DJ's/etc may be able to get by it) but I don't know of any. It definitely works on the vast majority of recovery options in this game. It's worked for me too many times over the last 10 years lol.

Dair reaches even lower and will hit anything. You just need to be facing toward the center of the stage and almost edge cancel it.

Anything that's an imperfect sweetspot is covered by the stank leg basically.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Also I'd lOve to see a Tipman vs Eddie MM at some point. How deep are your pockets MW? Lord knows Tommy can come out of the woodwork and wreck faces.

Renth

Smash Hero
Also I'd lOve to see a Tipman vs Eddie MM at some point. How deep are your pockets MW? Lord knows Tommy can come out of the woodwork and wreck faces.
Tipman has come out of the shadows and placed fairly high out of no where more than a few times.

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
Tipman is still good, from what I've heard. I have a sneaking suspicion he still whips out the AR disc and tries to further the ganon metagame from time to time.

Eddie still has some of the most amazing strategies- it's always really cool to look into the past a couple of years and see what the solutions were for certain problems. Very strange to adapt to and a LOT of fun to play against. His ganon is still good with obvious signs of rust. His marth, however, got 4 stocked by yours truly.

Duel

Smash Apprentice
I need help again, this time with the puff matchup. Seems like I need to go for a lot of grabs? This Is now my least favorite matchup, very boring.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Well you can usually count on me answering at some point Lmao. 5" of snow turned to ice = no work for me today.

I still like to take her to fd. Platforms usually help Ganon, but they just turn him into combo food and a rest magnet.

In neutral, stay away from fair. Uair, bair, your ftilts, and jab are great. Respect her bair and the horizontal mobility that comes along with a standard bair approach.

Make the most out of every grab. Uair all day. Space the sh*t out of bair at low% when they DI dthrow behind. And space fairs the same way once they become possible (mid 50's in %? someone chime in) or you can be rested. Dair is even possible out of dthrow at times.

Mid 60's after dthrow you can yolo usmash just like the peach mu and get ko's if they don't DI.

I'm already drinking so if someone else wants to elaborate on getting grabs on jiggs or some finer aspects of the neutral game I'm sure people would benefit

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
Getting grabs on Puff is hard. The reason I tend to get a lot of grabs on my Puff friend is cause he's easy to bait into his shield, or he doesn't space himself properly. Ganon's actually so slow on the ground that Puff moving in the air with a nair is faster than you running, so the struggle is real. You basically have to outspace her aerials while she is still in the air and grab her when the hitbox goes away. You can't just grab her when she lands like with any other character because she has this annoying "crouch" animation that happens when she lands. It's almost better to just down-angle ftilt her at that point.

Basically, the only real way you're gonna get grabs on the Puff is if she makes a pretty crucial error. She could be retreating with no bair and you could maybe be able to running grab her, but that's about it. The best way to get grabs is to scare her into shield and grab her instead of an aerial. You only really want to grab Puff when she makes a mistake, you do not want to use that option too much in neutral as Puff has an easy time getting around it. Grab is much more of a punish in this matchup than most other matchups, and getting a grab is huge obviously. Like, if I were to play hungrybox, it would be a tough battle because he's smart enough to not be on the ground that much and not be in his shield. He spaces his aerials well enough for me to not get in, let alone get a grab. He'd have to do something really risky for me to get a grab on him.

Then again, you could always just short hop waveland into puff and hope to get a grab, but I would think that's react-able and you'll probably just eat a bair most of the time.

Duel

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for the help Ace and Skytch, the MU is just a pain the ass.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Forgot to say, edge cancels help a lot and serve as great baits. And you can practice these setups on your own easily. There aren't many easy ways to fool a good jiggs but this is one of them, as long as it's not overused. Bait them with the aerial you will edge cancel, lure them in, and hit them with another aerial.

The whole jiggs metagame is neutral game. You have to constantly trick her into doing something unsafe. Pretty tough considering her movement options.

Last edited:

SwiftNinjaBlackMan

Smash Apprentice
Quick noob question can any of ganon's moves reset you(Jab reset)? Someone told me the very tip of the up air can.... not sure if thats true or not....

Last edited:

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Lol they were quite impressed by the cg to fsmash.

Edit: browsed around gator gaming's vids, good to see Emilio making an occasional appearance. He still has a lot of good habits for someone that never practices. Posting since people asked about jiggs recently.

Linguini vs randompuffplayer1
(First 2 matches)
http://youtu.be/Yq9e7yXJjXc

Linguini vs randompuffplayer2
(First match)
http://youtu.be/XC0mstnW9Z0

Last edited:

Duel

Smash Apprentice
Is double jumping to waveland on a platform optimal? Is there any advantage to single jump wavelanding?

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
Getting really tired of doing "tournament winners" in games. Gonna keep drilling the basic tech skill until I get it down 50 times in a row at least. I hate losing because of technical errors that I'm making, better make it all muscle memory.

Is double jumping to waveland on a platform optimal? Is there any advantage to single jump wavelanding?
If you do it near your opponent, you don't risk losing your double jump if you get hit. DJing is faster, so do it when you're far from your opponent.

Duel

Smash Apprentice
ALright, thanks, makes sense not to burn your second jump, and to only do what I can pull off correctly.

Top Bottom