• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to woop (3.5 edition)

Citricide

JuneauSmashBros Tournament Organizer

What is wooping?
Wooping is a Mewtwo technique similar to Sheik's shino stall. The goal is to spam teleport ledge regrabs as fast as possible to maintain invincibility frames. Gif of wooping here: http://gfycat.com/DeliciousEthicalJapanesebeetle

The Methods Below are obsolete due to changes to how mewtwo grabs the ledge. The new Method Looks like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=fulPsZlqt9k#t=170

Easymode Way
Press Down on C Stick, Then UP B, then hold down on the analog stick (after the up b immediately start pointing down on the analog stick)​

Emukiller Way
Do a 270 degree motion from "away", to up, to down forward. After up-B you can be holding anywhere between slightly below horizontal to straight down and you'll grab the ledge, so spin the stick while pressing the B button at 12 o'clock.

Last edited:

Master Raven

Smash Master
I've always done the Emukiller way. Just feels more intuitive. I never even knew c stick affected teleport movement until a couple days ago lol.

HK_Spadez

(@'o')=@ t('o't)
first off. thanks for this thread! helped me out so much in learning how to woop.

but my problem is how do i get back on stage properly? I dont think i understand all his best options for going from ledge -> stage.

i seen emukiler go from ledge -> teleport onto stage but i dont really understand (execution wise) how to teleport from ledge onto the stage's ground. i always end up above the stage when trying to teleport from ledge -> stage.

Also it seem really awkward to try to waveland on him and his get up attack kind of sucks? I been having some success with ledge hop up airs.

anyways. i dont want to turn this TL: DR but what do you guys think is the best option to get back to stage safely from ledge?

EmuKiller

Smash Ace
EmuKiller?! More like... FREEmuKiller!!!!!!
if you up-B straight horizontal (doing my method at least), you'll end up on the stage. In melee, you collide with the ledge but pm you can "clip" through solid objects which is why you get the lagless up-B onto the stage.

the mixup between wavelanding straight down and up-B is my favorite way to get on the stage I just sort of stall until my opponent is either covering immediately at the ledge or my ledge hop up-B spot. Also knowing the different ways you can ledge hop n-air is big, sooo many different uhh.. "trajectories" depending on what time you 2nd jump and what time you start the n-air.

HK_Spadez

(@'o')=@ t('o't)
I always hit the side of the stage when I to straight horizontal. I try pressing away from stage then up b horizontal torwards stage. Is my timing just off?

Last edited:

Master Raven

Smash Master
I always hit the side of the stage when I to straight horizontal. I try pressing away from stage then up b horizontal torwards stage. Is my timing just off?
What I do is I ledge drop, double jump and then up B when the lower half of my body is level with the ground. Once you figure the timing out it's actually really easy to do lagless teleports.

Master Raven

Smash Master
DJ doesn't make it that make it that much slower imo, in fact I don't know how you can do it without DJ.

Yori

Banned via Warnings
Cool, will try this. Always wondered how Emukiller did that. Still gonna do the easy way tho :p

Chaos Archangel

Smash Cadet
Hey guys, ultra noob here.

Um, I thought "whoop" was just shorthand for "teleport." What's the difference with this method and are there any videos demonstrating it's benefits? When I saw "guide" next to the thread I had hoped for .. well.. more of a guide, lol.

Citricide

JuneauSmashBros Tournament Organizer
Last edited:

Chaos Archangel

Smash Cadet
Shino stall? I saw that mentioned earlier as something Shiek can do but.. I'm going to assume it means hanging on the ledge while invulnerable? Looks pretty useful, thanks!

HyperSilver

Smash Cadet
yeah so I have a hard time doing the "woop'' emukiller's way but I can do the woop the c-stick way mentioned earlier it's just that sometimes even when I still do have invincibility the opponent still grabs the edge and I teleport downwards SDing myself :p (I'm doing it decently tempo wise)

HyperSilver

Smash Cadet
Emukiller Way
Do a 270 degree motion from "away", to up, to down forward. After up-B you can be holding anywhere between slightly below horizontal to straight down and you'll grab the ledge, so spin the stick while pressing the B button at 12 o'clock.
can you clearify please, I don't know where to start :p

Last edited:

FreshNewspapers

Smash Rookie
NNID
FreshNewspapers2
Thanks for guide Lemon Lust! Im gonna try to get in the lab and try wooping. I wonder if there are any combos that involve mewtwo's move, disable.

CeLL

Smash Lord
Disable combos into everything... You should have known this from Melee.
Not true. It doesn't combo into... double Disable. Because after hitting him with Disable the second time, he is not stunned enough to hit the third.

But really I think he was talking about comboing into Disable from something else. The only thing I can think of is hover-cancelled sweetspot dair at %'s low enough that they don't leave the ground, and even that is pushing it. You might be able to use it if you hard read a roll or tech or something, but if you miss, it probably won't end well for you.

Last edited:

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
Not true. It doesn't combo into... double Disable. Because after hit him with Disable the second time, he is not stunned enough to hit the third.

But really I think he was talking about comboing into Disable from something else. The only thing I can think of is hover-cancelled sweetspot dair at %'s low enough that they don't leave the ground, and even that is pushing it. You might be able to use it if you hard read a roll or tech or something, but if you miss, it probably won't end well for you.
Hover nair into TP aerial Disable. The tricky part is reacting to where the opponent will fly after the nair.

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
Disable on grounded opponents can potentially follow a jab reset, allowing you greater freedom in followups and tacking on that sweet 1% damage to boot. It'll even function in place of the jab reset on targets with moderate to high tumble hurtboxes (ie ROB or Bowser but not Ike), but I don't recommend that since it's a universally inferior option. It's an okish option for opponents on platforms if you're feeling ballsy and don't want to go with utilt/uair/nair. Much riskier and significantly less coverage, but potentially high reward.

Disable against opponents in the air is Mewtwo's strongest horizontal launcher in the air and a semi-spike.

Last edited:

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
Sweetspot bair kills off the blast zone slightly earlier than Disable against aerial opponents (9% sooner iirc), but the sweetspot is at the base of his tail. You have to be right up against your opponent to hit with it. Realistically you want to compare it to sourspot bair, which kills about 14% later. This is disregarding the advantageous angle of Disable in situations where they don't quite kill; it's a semi-spike as I mentioned earlier while bair utilizes the Sakurai angle.

This is not to say that bair is bad by any means. It's faster and has much better range/coverage, but if all you care about is launch distance then Disable is superior against opponents in the air.

Last edited:

Kudrah

Smash Cadet
If you're wooping or just on the ledge in Smashville, Battlefield, or PS2, and your opponents gets close enough, you can side B to take them under stage to stage spike them. It's so evil.

Of course, this only works if they don't tech or don't have much Mewtwo MU experience.

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
The only stage that's particularly effective on now seems to be PS2, due to the particulars of its ledge. If they're just a tiny bit back from the edge it'll bounce them off the flat bit underneath, which kills most characters that fail to tech even at low %s. Other stages all have the side walls or angled undersides, which are easier to recover from. It can set up gimps if you're on top of things but as you said, this is all dependent on your opponent not reacting appropriately.

If you have tap jump off, emukiller said his way works easier with tap jump on as he's doing his double jump when he up B's
Missed this before. Emukiller style ledgestall doesn't really care about tap jump if you're executing the maneuver at speed, I do it fine with tap jump off. Emu was referring to autocanceling onto the stage, which requires you to input a double jump. This takes a bit of finger gymnastics with stock controls - if you can multishine and waveshine with spacies using X/Y jump then it shouldn't be a problem. I use Z to jump, so it just requires an extra button press in my case.

Last edited:

RedEyesWhiteSwaggin

Smash Apprentice
I should mention that yeah I'm playing with tap jump on, so when I do my ledge up-Bs I'm using up my double jump too.
So your method allows you to autocancel TP on stage? Is there a way to do it with tap jump off? Would you also press jump at the same time you press b (at 12 o'clock) during the rotation?

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
Look above your post. The jump should go in just before the up-b - I don't have frame data, but one frame prior might be enough.

Last edited:
Top Bottom