• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to win as Jigglypuff

Cornballer

Smash Apprentice
Ok, I'm bored and just recently won a 20 person tournament and have been doing pretty well so I decided to come up with a few basic rules on how to win as Jigglypuff.

Rule #1: Have good counterpicks. This applies to both stages and characters. Jigglypuff will never win solo against the best players, because they will go Olimar or Game and Watch and you will lose. However, for Olimar, on Jungle Japes you have a very good shot at winning and either way, you can force them to swap character with Marth. Marth is a great counterpick to have, and having a few stages you are comfortable with in addition to being fairly comfortable with the general stages can easily tip a battle in your favor. If you go Marth, they will move away from their choice in character and you can start using Jigglypuff to pick away their secondaries very effectively.

Rule #2: Never play wifi. After playing melee for a period of time and liking it infinitely better than Brawl, I realized something. Why wifi sucks is because it ingrains in you a very similar style of play that drastically alters how you play. The reflexes become different, and like playing both a recorder and clarinet or many languages, you start mixing the reflexes. Brawl is all reflex once you learn technique, so wifi is literally the devil. Find real friends, play them. A slight issue with your reflexes, especially with Jigglypuff, can completely destroy your gameplay.

Rule #3: Start of the game with a wall of bair. Yeah you heard me right, sometime in the first minute, do something unbelievably stupid. Fortunately, if you do it right, its hard to punish and they'll take huge liberties in guessing your gameplay style. This is when you rock their ****. The ability to completely change your gameplay style due to her versatility despite her suckiness helps her a lot. Go from rocking the air but doing absolutely nothing to punishing everything with grabs to getting in and neutral airing out to back airing shield and then resetting. Keep them off their toes.

Rule #4: Play different characters and different players In short, this requires you to play tournaments. I've been a horrible example of this so you can mock me for it (you better remember who I am or your gonna think I'm a huge *******) but you have to play consistently and play different people if you want to be good. Learning to combat a players gamestyle will leave you off your toes for someone who plays differently and your easy matchups will become torture.

Rule #5: Don't get hit, especially, grabbed/ Jigglypuff has one huge redeeming trait in Brawl. She doesn't have to get grabbed. Whatever happens, you might get hit, you might not. Try to minimize this, but the ultimate sign of a failed Jigglypuff is one who lets itself be grabbed (you can tell I've played melee, but trust me on this). You are given huge aerial acceleration for a reason, use it.

Rule #6: Learn the technical aspects of all other characters. Learn little else. Learn what the character can do and then use this to have your reflexes dictate the best solution from there. Know the character, don't try to think. Just realize that if your landing in front of a Falco and air dodge into the ground or just land, he can boost smash punish you. Or laser you. Learn their technical aspects. Which involves playing these characters. As these characters. Learn what they can do by reflex so when you play them, you will act by reflex. Higher thought will cause you to lose.

Rule#7: Use fair This is going to be extremely controversial as its her best kill move, but I don't mean stale it intentionally. I mean use it when its available, and as you get better and better, your reflexes will put you into situations where you don't have the option to use it. Don't intentionally save it for a kill move because too often they spot dodge and then force you to sourspot it, and that 40% damage you could have dealt them for the kill becomes worthless.

Oh and by the way, we have around 5000 cornballers left to be sold, remember, its El Cornballer.

Oh and when I say, don't think, I mean, don't think about your next move. Let that happen. Plan the rest of the match in the back of your mind, plan the stage dynamic. Respond instinctively to what they do. This gives you the best reaction. If you over think, you will lose. You just cannot respond in time. This is not a turn based game, however, you can plan out the match. Just when you thought they would grab but they front smash and you had spot dodged, you better react instinctively or else you will not be able to respond in time.

EraOfGames

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2895-7773-5577
I'd might agree with Rule#2 except....
It is impossible for me to practice offline :( all the people in my area (or at least on AiB) are flakes for whatever reason. I also can't drive far often. So I must resort to WiFi to get better atm.

*JuriHan*

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-4901-1779
Most of these tips are universal to all characters, such as not doing wifi , playing different characters and people ect, but i will say tip 7 I *strongly* agree with. I honestly feel f-smash is a more reliable killer than f-air. In my guide I say to use f-air if you are good at finding alternative ways of killing. I was still thinking of creating an entire section on f-air called: "F-air: Stale or KO?"

Metatitan

Smash Master
Fair is very good and pretty essential in Jigglypuff's game, eliminating it from use just because it's her only reliable killer is eliminating another option. But please remember if you're using it to combo that Nair can combo just as well providing you don't need Fair's range at that moment.

Veril

Frame Savant
Marth is not a "great counterpick to have". The reason there are so few good Marth's in Brawl is that he genuinely requires work to get good at, and you shouldn't be working on your second more than your main lol. Than again having Jigglypuff as a main is incredibly impractical from a competitive standpoint.

This game doesn't require you play as all the characters to learn there technical tricks, at least not more than once in a blue moon. Seriously, I hadn't played vBrawl against anyone decent until last night, and I remembered all of the "technical" crap with no problem, pretty much getting caught back up strategically in a few hours. Why do you need to play as falco to know he can boost smash? That's just silly.

And..

MK > Marth in every way as a second. Using Marth as a second is ********. What're you gonna do about Snake with a Jigglypuff Marth duo? LOL

dj asakura

Smash Ace
MK > Marth in every way as a second. Using Marth as a second is ********. What're you gonna do about Snake with a Jigglypuff Marth duo? LOL
But if that's really what you're worried about instead of learning the matchup regardless of who's favor it's in, why not just switch to MK altogether?

Why 2nd MK when he has EVERY better matchup and does better on almost all stages? If you don't want to learn the matchup and how to play it on an given map, just switch to MK and never worry about learning a 2nd or any other character.

GeneralWoodman

Smash Lord
i disagree with a lot of this. When a match starts you should create some sort of "reason for your opponent to approach or move from his/her spot." If a match started and my opponent was bairing at the air i would just stand there and spam, wait for the bair approach and move away(not roll). and marth sux

Cornballer

Smash Apprentice
Umm do what I do. Go Marth or Jigglypuff and although the matchup isn't great on Snake, you can definitely win. Oh and Woody, we don't have a projectile! In short, we're gonna have to approach 90% of the time. Regardless. I'm saying that Marth is a fairly good cp for Jigglypuff (obviously in addition to MK, hes the universal) and its only if you feel more comfortable with Jigglypuff than Marth.

GeneralWoodman

Smash Lord
your just saying that because you main him :/
And fair> bair in this game (there are exceptions i know)
unstale fair by nairing, u-airing and jabbing as you move around the stage.
put pressure on your opponent with nairs and elude them of your fairs range, so you can **** them.
dair oos, learn how to pivot so you can do melee puff stuff and confuse your opponent with full hops/fh nairs.
use pound and fsmash when your opponent is being dumb(IE: standing in one spot or walking up to you lol)

That's how you win matches ^

dj asakura

Smash Ace
I honestly feel like Puff plays very much the same as Melee Puff with less priority. I'm by no means an expert or qualified to say that but it feels very similar. I think Puff has a lot of potential with the right amount of work.

It's just a matter of playing fair smart and using all if our aerials and knowing when to throw out a killing fair.

Puff is just fun.

PokemonMasterIRL

Smash Master
I honestly feel like Puff plays very much the same as Melee Puff with less priority. I'm by no means an expert or qualified to say that but it feels very similar. I think Puff has a lot of potential with the right amount of work.

It's just a matter of playing fair smart and using all if our aerials and knowing when to throw out a killing fair.

Puff is just fun.
Word for word, I agree with this post.

dj asakura

Smash Ace
Word for word, I agree with this post.

It's just that I used to love using Puff in Melee and then I finally came back to Brawl in the past few months and after using all higher tier characters (mostly Diddy and Snake) I came back to the IC's and Puff, just like I did in Melee.

Puff just has so little support it seems. Big things can happen with her, we just need a stronger showing.

Veril

Frame Savant
But if that's really what you're worried about instead of learning the matchup regardless of who's favor it's in, why not just switch to MK altogether?

Why 2nd MK when he has EVERY better matchup and does better on almost all stages? If you don't want to learn the matchup and how to play it on an given map, just switch to MK and never worry about learning a 2nd or any other character.
"making a more reasonable choice for a second" ≠ "you must main MK"

Marth is hard to play at a high level. Being a Marth main with a Jiggs second makes more sense by a wide margin, really you'd be a Marth main with a Jiggs for low tier events. There are just better choices for a second. Someone who goes near even with MK and GW is a good idea. Snake, MK and Diddy are all better choices than Marth.

And yeah, having bad matchups is something you should worry about. You get a second to cover those and Marth is simply bad as a second:

•You need to be amazing at the MK matchup to beat good ones with Marth or Jiggs.
•Snake and DDD counter both.
•You have overlapping MU advantages
•Marth is a difficult character to master. You have a finite amount of time to put into your second vs. your main.

Jiggs is a terrible character to have as a main and an OK second. I DO main MK in Brawl, but I keep Jiggs around for Diddy Kong. Even though the matchup isn't bad for MK, people just won't have the experience with Jiggs that they will with MK, and I take advantage of that. I'm not forced to use her but I can. Anyone who gets ***** by Diddy can benifit from a pocket Jiggs really, that's the best use for her. Period. And you'll have a good character for low tiers.

dj asakura

Smash Ace
I try not to really look at tiers, to be honest. Believe me, I completely understand where you're coming from but I just feel like a tier level shouldn't stop you from using a character you enjoy more. By all means, if you have more fun using MK or anyone else, main them but when I see people who like using Jiggs main a different character just to have better MU's, then I get a little sad.

I don't like MK, I'll admit that. I feel that MK is a way out of really putting in a lot of time and hard work to succeed. That doesn't mean I don't respect a good MK, but why would you 2nd MK when you can just use him for all the MU's on all the stages? It's a waste, IMO.

I do fully agree that Marth just takes too much time and skill to use well that having him as a 2nd is a bad idea. But know that I'm not saying Jiggs is amazing, just that I don't like seeing her get used as nothing more than a good low tier tournament character when she has a lot of potential. People would just rather use someone a little higher up then put in the work.

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
but when I see people who like using Jiggs main a different character just to have better MU's, then I get a little sad.
Most people play to win, and Jiggs just doesn't cut it. Nothing wrong with switching to a better character, although I agree that seeing so many MKs is annoying and makes the game more one-dimensional and boring.

Veril

Frame Savant
Most people play to win, and Jiggs just doesn't cut it. Nothing wrong with switching to a better character, although I agree that seeing so many MKs is annoying and makes the game more one-dimensional and boring.
The game is still "boring" without MK. IMO a lot less interesting actually. What's so cool about Snake dropping nades from shield, controlling the stage with his explosives and spamming tilts? Or Marth camping behind fair? Or a whole match of throwing bananas? Or infinite CGs? This game won't magically become more interesting with fewer MK's, you'll just see more of the same stuff non-MK top-tiers do... which isn't that exciting tbh

MK is part of this game and he's probably here to stay. Whether it annoys people is largely irrelevant. Not everyone can play him well and he is not the only viable character (though only a few are worth using competitively). I genuinely prefer MK over the other top tiers and he just has a much more interesting combo game than anyone but Diddy.

I don't like MK, I'll admit that. I feel that MK is a way out of really putting in a lot of time and hard work to succeed. That doesn't mean I don't respect a good MK, but why would you 2nd MK when you can just use him for all the MU's on all the stages? It's a waste, IMO.
Seriously. That's not a good way to look at things as a competitor. You can put in however much work or time you want into anyone, including MK. He, Snake, and Diddy (and the other top characters to a lesser extent) simply reward that work more than anyone else. Don't assume your personal sense of honor has any impact on how people play this game, or should play the game. This is ridiculous when the goal is to win, not to get props for eschewing MK.

People would just rather use someone a little higher up then put in the work.
Yeah, god forbid people act rationally and choose an easier, more reliable option.

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Well, boring is subjective...... and generally, I enjoy Brawl. It's not even MK himself that I find boring (the only MU that really bores me is DDD), it's the fact that so many people play him.

This could be because of the region I'm in, but I see so many MKs, it's just very repetitive and annoying to me personally. I'm not saying people shouldn't pick him, because hey, he's the best character. People want to win. I just find it aggravating.

I'm well aware that he's never going to get banned, though, and I don't think he's worthy of being banned. Doesn't make it fun to see or play 237823987123987123 "______ vs. MK" matches at every tourney, though.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
If I fight a MK I usually go Jiggs first because I might be able to beat them if they don't know how to fight puff. If they do know how to fight Jiggs with MK she has no chance so I just go Diddy instead.

Marth isn't exactly the best choice because if you find a MK that knows how to fight Jiggs then your screwed because Marth doesn't do any better against him.

Also I disagree with the WiFi part. Its like the game puts you on training weights so that when you play the real game everything seems so much easier to perform.

dj asakura

Smash Ace
I generally have no issue with people choosing a top tier character, that fact doesn't bother me. I expect that to happen for the most part. But when that character is played by the majority of the people playing the game and has ZERO bad matchups and ZERO bad stages and there are rules made to limit the effectiveness of the character and he STILL is hands down the best in the game, that's when I have an issue with it.

It has nothing to do with honor, it has to do with a glaring issue.

Vmage

Smash Journeyman
Ok it's Canada. That's it no more details.
If I fight a MK I usually go Jiggs first because I might be able to beat them if they don't know how to fight puff. If they do know how to fight Jiggs with MK she has no chance so I just go Diddy instead.

Marth isn't exactly the best choice because if you find a MK that knows how to fight Jiggs then your screwed because Marth doesn't do any better against him.

Also I disagree with the WiFi part. Its like the game puts you on training weights so that when you play the real game everything seems so much easier to perform.
Yes. I play wi fi before and when I come to my friends house to play brawl it feels so easy to play. Now it seems I am maining Jigglypuff. My Kirby is doing horrible now.:(

Veril

Frame Savant
Veril Marth does fine vs Snake xD
But as a secondary he's not a good choice, Marth requires far too much effort.
Wrong, a few amazing Marth players make the matchup almost even. With a huge amount of work. Needing to do a huge amount of work to make a MU with your second even is ********.

I generally have no issue with people choosing a top tier character, that fact doesn't bother me. I expect that to happen for the most part. But when that character is played by the majority of the people playing the game and has ZERO bad matchups and ZERO bad stages and there are rules made to limit the effectiveness of the character and he STILL is hands down the best in the game, that's when I have an issue with it.

It has nothing to do with honor, it has to do with a glaring issue.
That issue shouldn't impact anyone's choice. MK isn't banned. Unless he is banned than this IS about "honor" :ohwell: and not rational.

No MK Johns. You don't have to like him but you should recognize that MK players, myself included, don't care how much people hate him.

Anyway, to bring this back to the title of the thread: To win as Jigglypuff you have to either by playing:
1. against an MK who doesn't know the MU at all, or who is mysteriously incapable of using tilts. So an idiot or someone who doesn't play Brawl. Like a melee player who has some deep seated fear of Puff after Hungry-box ****.
2. Fighting Diddy on a stage other than FD. Do this. Its the best thing Jiggs has.
3. A Rob, IC or DDD who you are better than.
4. A GW, Snake, Falco, Wario or Marth who you massively outclass.
5. In a low tier event (watch out for Zelda).
6. MMs against drunk people.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Anyway, to bring this back to the title of the thread: To win as Jigglypuff you have to either by playing:
1. against an MK who doesn't know the MU at all, or who is mysteriously incapable of using tilts. So an idiot or someone who doesn't play Brawl. Like a melee player who has some deep seated fear of Puff after Hungry-box ****.
2. Fighting Diddy on a stage other than FD. Do this. Its the best thing Jiggs has.
3. A Rob, IC or DDD who you are better than.
4. A GW, Snake, Falco, Wario or Marth who you massively outclass.
5. In a low tier event (watch out for Zelda).
6. MMs against drunk people.
7. Jungle Japes
8. Another Jigglypuff

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
this is advice from one of the better jiggs on these boards. jiggs is doomed
meh what can I say? I personally enjoy playing Jiggs vs MK over Diddy vs MK any day. Win with the novelty character so that my Diddy can get counterpick advantage.

Or just use Jiggly when MK counters you to a stage like Frigate or Brinstar.

Its helped me win against some MKs in tournaments *coughjunebugcough* lol.

I made a stupid and fatal mistake at pound 4 that knocked me out of the tournament. I fought HAT's Wario and lost the set 0-2 because I went Jiggs both times. If I went Diddy I most likely would have won. But oh well, can't change it now.

Vmage

Smash Journeyman
Ok it's Canada. That's it no more details.
meh what can I say? I personally enjoy playing Jiggs vs MK over Diddy vs MK any day. Win with the novelty character so that my Diddy can get counterpick advantage.

Or just use Jiggly when MK counters you to a stage like Frigate or Brinstar.

Its helped me win against some MKs in tournaments *coughjunebugcough* lol.

I made a stupid and fatal mistake at pound 4 that knocked me out of the tournament. I fought HAT's Wario and lost the set 0-2 because I went Jiggs both times. If I went Diddy I most likely would have won. But oh well, can't change it now.
I saw your videos.....Wait a sec did I forget to do something? Never mind.

Yes. Everyone makes mistakes. I sometimes make an embarrsing mistake that made me lose the game.:embarrass That is often the rollout going in the wrong direction. Happens to me a lot.:embarrass

MalcolmM

Smash Lord
OH
MY
GOD!

I never ever...in my entire life...thought to use FAIR. I'm used to melee jiggs so I've been a bairing machine for the past few weeks. I'll def incorporate this along with the other rules and bring some results to the jiggs boards soon.

Rose alumna

Smash Journeyman
Ok, I'm bored and just recently won a 20 person tournament and have been doing pretty well so I decided to come up with a few basic rules on how to win as Jigglypuff.

Rule #1: Have good counterpicks. This applies to both stages and characters. Jigglypuff will never win solo against the best players, because they will go Olimar or Game and Watch and you will lose. However, for Olimar, on Jungle Japes you have a very good shot at winning and either way, you can force them to swap character with Marth. Marth is a great counterpick to have, and having a few stages you are comfortable with in addition to being fairly comfortable with the general stages can easily tip a battle in your favor. If you go Marth, they will move away from their choice in character and you can start using Jigglypuff to pick away their secondaries very effectively.

Rule #2: Never play wifi. After playing melee for a period of time and liking it infinitely better than Brawl, I realized something. Why wifi sucks is because it ingrains in you a very similar style of play that drastically alters how you play. The reflexes become different, and like playing both a recorder and clarinet or many languages, you start mixing the reflexes. Brawl is all reflex once you learn technique, so wifi is literally the devil. Find real friends, play them. A slight issue with your reflexes, especially with Jigglypuff, can completely destroy your gameplay.

Rule #3: Start of the game with a wall of bair. Yeah you heard me right, sometime in the first minute, do something unbelievably stupid. Fortunately, if you do it right, its hard to punish and they'll take huge liberties in guessing your gameplay style. This is when you rock their ****. The ability to completely change your gameplay style due to her versatility despite her suckiness helps her a lot. Go from rocking the air but doing absolutely nothing to punishing everything with grabs to getting in and neutral airing out to back airing shield and then resetting. Keep them off their toes.

Rule #4: Play different characters and different players In short, this requires you to play tournaments. I've been a horrible example of this so you can mock me for it (you better remember who I am or your gonna think I'm a huge *******) but you have to play consistently and play different people if you want to be good. Learning to combat a players gamestyle will leave you off your toes for someone who plays differently and your easy matchups will become torture.

Rule #5: Don't get hit, especially, grabbed/ Jigglypuff has one huge redeeming trait in Brawl. She doesn't have to get grabbed. Whatever happens, you might get hit, you might not. Try to minimize this, but the ultimate sign of a failed Jigglypuff is one who lets itself be grabbed (you can tell I've played melee, but trust me on this). You are given huge aerial acceleration for a reason, use it.

Rule #6: Learn the technical aspects of all other characters. Learn little else. Learn what the character can do and then use this to have your reflexes dictate the best solution from there. Know the character, don't try to think. Just realize that if your landing in front of a Falco and air dodge into the ground or just land, he can boost smash punish you. Or laser you. Learn their technical aspects. Which involves playing these characters. As these characters. Learn what they can do by reflex so when you play them, you will act by reflex. Higher thought will cause you to lose.

Rule#7: Use fair This is going to be extremely controversial as its her best kill move, but I don't mean stale it intentionally. I mean use it when its available, and as you get better and better, your reflexes will put you into situations where you don't have the option to use it. Don't intentionally save it for a kill move because too often they spot dodge and then force you to sourspot it, and that 40% damage you could have dealt them for the kill becomes worthless.

Oh and by the way, we have around 5000 cornballers left to be sold, remember, its El Cornballer.

Oh and when I say, don't think, I mean, don't think about your next move. Let that happen. Plan the rest of the match in the back of your mind, plan the stage dynamic. Respond instinctively to what they do. This gives you the best reaction. If you over think, you will lose. You just cannot respond in time. This is not a turn based game, however, you can plan out the match. Just when you thought they would grab but they front smash and you had spot dodged, you better react instinctively or else you will not be able to respond in time.

I don't agree with rule 2 I still win online so... And the people arnt noobs that I go against

Top Bottom