• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to Wall of Pain?

ImSpooky

Smash Rookie
New here, and new to Smash in General. I'm a casual player, not tournament tier or anything so these techniques are all new to me.

I've been practicing all the basics with Falco, whose always been my main, but I've started to really like playing Jigglypuff. My question is about the WoP, how do you do "2 bairs in one jump". I'm getting my spacing down, but I can either only Jump, do one bair and then grounded again, or jump bair mid air jump animation then bair again.

I've read RPKs sticky, but obviously there is a step I'm missing that I guess is obvious to veteran players.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, thanks for the help.

Grawgs

Smash Rookie
It has a lot to do with quickness, timing, and reaction, which are skills you'll build up as you keep practicing (solo and against players). I recently started getting into Jiggs, myself, but it should work like this:

While in the neutral...
1. You make a full jump.

2. Almost immediately after your jump starts, bair/fair.

3. This should give you plenty of time to do another bair/fair on your way back down.

You just gotta make sure to get that first aerial attack out fast and l-cancel the 2nd one when landing.

4. At certain percents and characters (and the right read on the opponent's DI), you can then continuously juggle them with more bairs/fairs. This can lead to kills or stage positioning, depending on how things play out.

To kinda reiterate what RPK said, when you're in the neutral game, you should be trying to space out the opponent, mostly with bairs and good aerial drifting in and out of their ranges. At lower percents, you usually want to just rack up some damage on them until around 30%-40%, which RPK suggests is the best time to start popping up the opponent and continuously comboing them with more jumping bairs/fairs (aka: the Wall of Pain).

I suggest looking at other guides that go into detail for frame data and auto cancel aerials to know what freedoms you have upon landing and while in the air.

It's also important to be aware of the actual inputs you're using (C-stick or A). Some input types are easier to use depending on the move or, in this case, which bair/fair. If I want to go for a quick bair immediately, I'll usually do A for the first one and then that lets me use the C-stick for the next one if I want to reposition myself. Keep in mind I'm still learning, too, so I assume most skilled Jiggs players will tell you to only use C-stick to make sure you have the best possible mid air control at all times.

Hope this helps.

iAmMatt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mattgw420
You just gotta make sure to get that first aerial attack out fast and l-cancel the 2nd one when landing.
You can WoP without landing, no need for l cancel.
4. At certain percents and characters (and the right read on the opponent's DI), you can then continuously juggle them with more bairs/fairs. This can lead to kills or stage positioning, depending on how things play out.
The real WoP, knocking them off the side of the stage with continuous bairs, can only be done if they di up.

Last edited:
Top Bottom