• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to use Snakes first jump to reach Battlefield platforms

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
Hi everyone,

I was playing in training mode and noted that Snakes first full jump can't reach the platforms in battlefield.

What I did also try though was finding ways to reach it without using his second jump, as getting knocked without a second jump can put him in a bad disadvantage, particularly offstage. Here are the methods I've found:

1. Full jump back air is the easiest, although you will suffer landing lag from it.
2. Full jump dair needs to be precise, but with some practice it can be done. 1 more frame of landing lag than full jump bair though his hitbox is straight instead of sideways like bair.
3. Full jump -> directional airdodge down. There is lag with this too. Although this can also trigger a wavedash and give you some ledge-dashing potential (slide off the ledge to cancel the lag).

I just thought I should post this, since setting traps and stage control is so important with this character and it's pretty obvious the decision to have him with a short initial jump was no oversight.

The landing lag for airdodge is distance based. Yeah, so instead of trying to explain it I'm gonna post a link to the thread that explains it: https://smashboards.com/threads/spot-dodges-rolls-air-dodges-and-staling.464660/

Basically you'll suffer 18-19 frames of landing lag if you time the waveland perfectly with option 3 because Snakes first jump is so small. So I'd put it as just slightly faster than Full jump b-air.

I say slightly because I'm also taking into account the time it takes for Snake to reach the platform with full jump b-air, whereas with full jump -> waveland he travels much less distance while still suffering the same amount of landing lag. The difference is pretty small.

For applications:
I would use option 1 if you need to stick out a hitbox while getting on the platform. I would use 3 if you need to reposition yourself. 2 is less applicable because the hitbox is smaller, but maybe it has its use too.

Last edited:

Perversion

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW 3699 5960 3002
Option 1 is rather easy to pull off. However, I find that option 3 through wavedashing is rather comfortable and feels like less lag. I'm not having any luck with option 2, though. which is kind of disappointing as I'd prefer having a way to deter an approach while getting up to the platform, although I'm sure a RAR Bair could do it too.

Edit: I finally did option 2, and the timing is a bit odd, but with practice I am glad to have it as an option.

Last edited:

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
Option 3 is definetely the less laggy option. It's worth using if you need to save that double jump

Perversion

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW 3699 5960 3002
I definitely agree with option 3, it'll take a while to incorporate fluidly but I think it's the best thing we can do to utilize one jump onto platforms.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
So something I've been finding useful is using Full-jump D-air to get to the top platform of BF when I'm tech chasing the opponent at ground level after the sleeper d-throw. Since it has so many hitboxes and the knockback is more favorable than B-air, it has been useful landing on the side platforms to continue harassing them after the last hit.

Top Bottom