• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to Use DDD's Moveset to the Fullest

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
D3 is different from most fighting games' grappling chars, however, cuz usually grappling is a tough process that requires half-circle, if not full 360, rotations. However, these chars usually do not have much to offer in the sense of 'conventional fighting'. DDD is kinda the opposite. His grabbing techs are more or less easy to pull off, but he also actually has a moveset that allows him to function as a well-rounded char. Most of the time, grapplers are low/bottom tier chars, but D3 is a time-tested high tier char. :)

allshort17

Smash Ace
D3 is different from most fighting games' grappling chars, however, cuz usually grappling is a tough process that requires half-circle, if not full 360, rotations. However, these chars usually do not have much to offer in the sense of 'conventional fighting'. DDD is kinda the opposite. His grabbing techs are more or less easy to pull off, but he also actually has a moveset that allows him to function as a well-rounded char. Most of the time, grapplers are low/bottom tier chars, but D3 is a time-tested high tier char. :)
He's really not that much different from normal grappers. Here's what i think makes a grappler:

*Big and slow: Check
*Long range normal moves: bair, dtilt, ftilt, ect.
*Uses grabs to set up pressure and establish fear: A Dedede basic
*Difficult to get in close with: Tell me about it
*Grab does big damage: The CG
*Uses grab to set-up bad situation and capitalizes on it: I consider being offstage pretty bad
*Has little to no combos or pressure tools outside of grab: Check
*Giant grab range: Oh yes!

Sure, he is technically dumbed down. But, that's just so he could fit in SSBB. He plays like more traditional grapplers like Zangief, Hakan, Tigar, Hagger, Maxima, King, ect more than anyone else in the game. That's why I like him. He's the only one that really fits the style. Also, there have been other good grapplers like SF4 Zangief.

Queen B. Kyon

Smash Master
Technical chase This thread is pretty good. I learned a few things from here. D3's downtilt is my favorite. Has any vids of the downthrow upsmash been posted yet?

Psymon

Smash Sweetheart
Really good guide! There's a lot of typos/broken English in certain sections, but the information there is invaluable. Good shizz! 5*

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Thanks!

And I need to update this...much has been discovered since I created this.

And maybe if I'm feeling inspired I will proofread this...maybe. I tend to just skip words when I'm typing on anything that isn't a formal paper, for long periods of time lol.

Bobwithlobsters

Smash Journeyman
I love the down tilt vs olimar. It stuffs so many of his approaches. Its not took effective vs pikman throw but if he dashes at me it will stuff most of his options.

:phone:

allshort17

Smash Ace
Down tilt vs Snake means he literally can only shield or spotdodge if he wants to get around it on the ground (unless he has a grenade in front of him.) That means free grabs.

allshort17

Smash Ace
does down tilt out reach his forward tilt? That is really useful knowledge. Definitely will be using that in the future.

:phone:
Hit one yes. After hit two I think he lunges forward enough to hit you thought. It also beats grab, jab, and mortar slide and trades with utilt, his dtilt, and the beginning of dash attack. I also think it can poke under his nair if you are close enough. I'm not too sure about how to set that up properly, but I've done it.

Napos

Smash Ace
for the chain-grab, I remember a video saying something about it..

its simply downgrab downgrab or do you input something else?

Ex. the video explained with inputting (whatever it was) you got more grabs in

MEOW1337KITTEH

Smash Lord
NNID
daniel7001
Shield cancel dash grabs, I believe its dthrow>dash>shield>grab>dthrow

And the shield just barely comes up.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
I would like to announce that as awesome as this guide has been for us...it will become obsolete soon. I am relasing a full guide that will cover everything this did...and everything else. So there won't be a update of this. But stay close! I'm working very hard on our new Dedede guide!

MEOW1337KITTEH

Smash Lord
NNID
daniel7001
I would like to announce that as awesome as this guide has been for us...it will become obsolete soon. I am relasing a full guide that will cover everything this did...and everything else. So there won't be a update of this. But stay close! I'm working very hard on our new Dedede guide!
It must be destiny that I picked up DDD like.. two days ago.

Le vieux lapin

Smash Ace
About time. Can't wait.

D

Deleted member 189823

Shouldn't the U-Tilt deserve more hype? It's very strong despite it's speed.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Just throwing one of my many tricks in here, i'm sure other people use it but why not have it written down somewhere (it's fairly obvious lol)

Basically I always try to start a chaingrab with a waddle doo out, and i try to time it so i can start a throw with them in the laser. What ends up happening is they get hit by most of the laser without breaking the grab, and then when the grab does break you can buffer regrab and they couldn't SDI out of the laser. Generally you can get close to the full 27%.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
I just was talking to a couple people and realized it's not as widely known as it should be.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Word. Actually, I've realized that many DDDs simply don't use Waddles as they should. Contrary to popular belief, our only bad move is probably downB (and maybe uthrow). As the thread title dictates, we need to figure out "How to Use DDD's Moveset to the Fullest." :smash:

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Waddle Throw is hard to use, everyone in their early DDD-learning days get punished or SD because of it, so I don't blame people for not Waddle Tossing much...
I'm trying to figure a timing or a distance where it's barely safe to throw them (obv, depend on the opponent's character and habits), because god, I love Waddle Doos.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
I used to hate Waddles (except for the Doos) until I learned that the Dees randomly jump and their jumps have hitboxes that can KILL people. :crazy: Then I learned that all Waddles, regardless of race, color, religion, or sexual preference, can be utilized quite well to protect DDD from projectiles.

ALL PEOPLE MUST SERVE THE KING!!!

#KingDededeMasterRace

FredFuchs

Smash Apprentice
are there any videos of ddd comboing n-air into u-tilt? i need to know a way to make it so my n-air isn't telegraphed. also, how do i make it so i net a grab by using jab because i tried it on cpus and it didn't really work as they get out of my grab range after the second hit. and for the part that was saying how ddd can d throw mk, and if he techs in place, ddd can move forward and land an f-tilt and re grab him, how exactly does that work?

bubbaking

Smash Hero
I don't have any videos (or maybe I do; I should check.....), but I know from personal experience that I've combo'd nair into utilt many, MANY times. John12346 could probably vouch for that, if he came here, lolz. I've also kinda 'jank combo'd' nair into grab. I say 'jank' because I don't know if that's a true combo or not. You really have to take advantage of DDD's extremely fast falling speed, specifically his fast-fall speed, to surprise people with falling nair. It also comes out fast enough for you to surprise people above you during your ascent, and it lasts long enough to punish air dodge if timed well.

Jab 1 > grab and jab 1 > jab 2 > grab aren't actual combos and they're not even as reliable as other chars' jab > grabs. It's a mix-up that you can use, taking advantage of the fact that jab 2 also leads into jab 3, which can tack on a nice piece of damage. Therefore, you should be mixing up between jab 1 > grab, jab 1 > jab 2 > grab, and the full jab combo. However, tbh, DDD's jab is really a somewhat inferior move. I very rarely see top DDD's use it. If you're within range to jab, you're also within range to grab and DDD's grab is faster, both in startup AND cooldown. Jab is really just good for those 'uncertain' scenarios where you suspect the opponent might spot-dodge, IMO, or you're just trying to make him GTFO. In both cases, I like the multi-hitting jab 3, and I doubt I would actually go for a grab in those situations.

This is how dthrow on MK works. First, you have to read his DI. If he DI's upwards, you can re-grab him (or ftilt him, I think) if he does anything other than AD. If he AD's, you can re-grab/ftilt him after the AD. If he doesn't DI/DI's down and techs, you have to tech-chase. If he techs in place and you preemptively ftilt, you will hit him because techs leave you vulnerable during the tech animation's ending for a short period of time.

HOWEVER, ftilt > grab is not guaranteed. It's a mix-up that works on bad reactions.

D

Deleted member 189823

I have a combo idea.

FFN-Air, U-Tilt to Grab.
The grab is achieved by baiting your opponent into thinking you're going to follow up with an aerial, preferably being F-Air or B-Air. I think you should Dash Dance a bit and confuse him for which side you're going to Grab and thereby punish the landing.
Of course all this isn't a true combo, but it's something interesting I just thought of.

Judas Furri

Smash Apprentice
I main D3 and this helped a lot. I am fixing to enter my first tournament and I got some useful tricks from this. Thanks man.
:metaknight: happened. lol

People realized D3 has substantial amount of bad MUs and didn't feel like getting ***** by Metaknight. Also everyone was under the impression that his metagame advancement is completely done so they moved on...many of them went to :metaknight:. So there are VERY few of us. Most people think D3 is just a secondary character these days. But I still have faith. So much so that I even switched from my old main since 2008 :snake:

Top Bottom