• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to UpSmash out of JC QD?

Ulmaxes

Smash Rookie
I've seen it done, I know it's possible, but I can't get the inputs right. I can do almost all of the other fancy QD JC shenanigans, but can't seem to get a single Up Smash out of the deal.
Youtube videos keep saying to do it, but no visual aid for controller input. I'm looking for something like that.

When I'm trying to UpSmash, I'm trying with both the C-stick and with Analog Stick+A, but I'm getting nothing.

Help plz.

Ulmaxes

Smash Rookie
Yeah, I can Jump Cancel just fine. I can Jump Cancel into Grab well enough, and do any of the aerial fun as well including Wavelanding. It's just the transition into UpSmash I'm not getting. From an input perspective, does c-stick/analog+attack matter? How does the timing compare with Grab or waveland?

Sylarius

Smash Ace
After you jump cancel, you can use either C stick or up + A.

If you can do jump cancel into grab fine, for jump canceled upsmash all you have to do is replace grab with upsmash.

With tap jump on, you could do quickdraw -> up and press A immediately after to jump cancel upsmash.
Or quickdraw -> press up + cstick up right after.

With tap jump on or off, you can do quickdraw -> y + cstick up. Or quickdraw -> y -> up + a immediately after. (Or replace y with x if you prefer using x.)

I personally play with tap jump on and press up on the control stick + cstick up right after to jump cancel usmash.

Edit: As for timing, I'm not 100% confident in this but I believe you need to input the usmash during jumpsquat, which is 5 frames for Ike? So after you press jump, you have roughly 5 frames to input the usmash to jump cancel usmash, or else you'll jump. Someone else can correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:

Ulmaxes

Smash Rookie
I was able to make it happen like, two or three times with c-stick. But I can do it practically every time with Tap Jump off- Thank you so much! I don't know if it's a mental block or a problem with my controller, but I think I'm sticking to Tap Jump for now.

You da man.

Tha_Shogun_12

Smash Journeyman
I don't know the exact frame count but I believe about a quarter of the way during the QD is when you can initiate the Up Smash.

If you jump out of QD then you have the initial timing of when to do it down.

If your Tap Jump is set to on then try practicing Up Smash out of shield first before attempting the QD USmash. The concept is pretty much the same just a smaller window with QD.

I hope this helps

metroid1117

Smash Master
Although it looks pretty awesome, IMHO QD -> JC USmash is not as useful as DACUS'ing; DACUS is faster, isn't telegraphed by the QD sound/animation, and can be combo'd into, so I'd recommend focusing on picking that up.

If your Tap Jump is set to on then try practicing Up Smash out of shield first before attempting the QD USmash. The concept is pretty much the same just a smaller window with QD.
USmash OoS and QD USmash should have the same timing, actually, since both are just JC USmashes out of different situations (although USmash OoS is slightly harder since you have to release L/R before hitting A, otherwise you grab).

Edit: As for timing, I'm not 100% confident in this but I believe you need to input the usmash during jumpsquat, which is 5 frames for Ike? So after you press jump, you have roughly 5 frames to input the usmash to jump cancel usmash, or else you'll jump. Someone else can correct me if I'm wrong.
This is correct. Just to elaborate, 5 frames translates into 1/12th of a second in real time; although that might sound fast, it's not quite that bad once you get the hang of it.

Sylarius

Smash Ace
I was able to make it happen like, two or three times with c-stick. But I can do it practically every time with Tap Jump off- Thank you so much! I don't know if it's a mental block or a problem with my controller, but I think I'm sticking to Tap Jump for now.

You da man.
If you can do it with tap jump off, but not tap jump on, it sounds like you're pressing up on the control stick too early (or not pressing A or C stick up fast enough right after). It -could- be a controller problem but the only real difference between jump cancel grab and jump cancel usmash is really you're inputting usmash instead of grab lol. Though if you jump cancel grab with x or y, it could make jump cancel usmash stranger to do if you don't claw your controller.

Ignoring my rambling, try jump cancel usmashing out of quickdraw like this: side B -> let go of the control stick while holding B to charge quickdraw -> let go of B, then while you're quickdrawing: press up on the control stick, then up on the c stick immediately after.

Although it looks pretty awesome
http://gfycat.com/GiddyLividGrub

Last edited:

X0dus

Smash Apprentice
I have tap jump on and after doing a quickdraw, I move the analog up and hold A. Its probably the easiest way. I'm thinking about turning tap jump off and doing it with X or Y, but its more inputs and I have a higher chance of messing it up (Despite never using it).

Tha_Shogun_12

Smash Journeyman
USmash OoS and QD USmash should have the same timing, actually, since both are just JC USmashes out of different situations (although USmash OoS is slightly harder since you have to release L/R before hitting A, otherwise you grab).
I didn't clarify, but I meant the amount of time you have during quick draw as opposed to the amount of time you have with your shield being up.

masterpad

Smash Journeyman
i do it just by performing "jump" with the [Y] button and UpSmash with D-StickUP+A.
it is not easier than QD JCGrab but is really simple with a little practice.

Wandering_Ico

Smash Rookie
I just have z set as jump so I can have my thumb on the c-stick for a QD USmash. It's nice since I also have grab set to the right-trigger, hence it makes for very easy QD JC grabs (or JC grabs in general).

Last edited:

masterpad

Smash Journeyman
I just have z set as jump so I can have my thumb on the c-stick for a QD USmash. It's nice since I also have grab set to the right-trigger, hence it makes for very easy QD JC grabs.
Waouh! this is the ultimate config!!! i set my config as your by now! thank you! and maybe it xould even help to easily perform wave-dash!

Wandering_Ico

Smash Rookie
Haha, glad it works for you! That was also my intention when setting it to z as well, so it does work/help (although I tend to just use x for wave dashing nowadays :/).

Last edited:
Top Bottom