• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to Up+B Cancel Video and Discussion

poega

Smash Apprentice
This had me learn up+b cancel just after one watch. I went from never having done it successfully once, despite reading various comments about it here, to being able to land it 10 times in a row. Should most definitely be stickied.

Mr.Lemon

Smash Journeyman
This had me learn up+b cancel just after one watch. I went from never having done it successfully once, despite reading various comments about it here, to being able to land it 10 times in a row. Should most definitely be stickied.
Nice! I'm glad it helped you.

poega

Smash Apprentice
Actually landed a sweet Up+B cancel>Fsmash today on falco. It works if he is on low percent coming towards you when u stand on some kind of edge, like a platform. It HAS uses for sure.

WumpaWolfy

Smash Cadet
For some reason my doc always ends up facing the right side of the stage even if I am facing the left side when I do my upB cancel. He finishes the cancel facing the right side when I initiate it from the right side too. Should I be worried, and do you have a solution by any chance?

Scidadle

Smash Champion
Still can't do it :/

But now I wanna learn. I see a lot of potential with this now.

Doc just turns around and does the up - b.

I'm even doing it in training mode with 1/4 speed :/\

Should my control stick be on the upper half of the Octagon or the lower half when it's finished.

Mr.Lemon

Smash Journeyman
For some reason my doc always ends up facing the right side of the stage even if I am facing the left side when I do my upB cancel. He finishes the cancel facing the right side when I initiate it from the right side too. Should I be worried, and do you have a solution by any chance?
:urg: That has never happened to me. Are your doing a successful up+B cancel, or are you turning around in mid air? If I were to guess though, I would say it sounds like it is a problem with your controller. Your joystick may just be REALLY sensitive so that you always end up facing right. Try doing it with another controller....maybe

Still can't do it :/

But now I wanna learn. I see a lot of potential with this now.

Doc just turns around and does the up - b.

I'm even doing it in training mode with 1/4 speed :/\

Should my control stick be on the upper half of the Octagon or the lower half when it's finished.
Your joystick should ALWAYS be in the upper half of the octagon. There is no reason for it to be anywhere near the bottom. Rewatch the video and pay close attention to what my hand is doing, and watch the part where I explain what it looks like when doing something wrong.

Scidadle

Smash Champion
Starting to get the hang of it.

It seems to be easier with hit lag.

Staying on the upper half of the octagon is definitely better now that I've practiced it more. Just gotta get use to the diagonal motions

odinNJ

Smash Lord
Sorry about my non-specificness. I meant to ask if you could test the various moves that could be done on certain characters, for example, if it is done on peach, is a follow up possible
stuff like that, you seem to be in command of the specifics so i trust you will have a better answer than i could give even after practicing this for a while.

Mr.Lemon

Smash Journeyman
Sorry about my non-specificness. I meant to ask if you could test the various moves that could be done on certain characters, for example, if it is done on peach, is a follow up possible
stuff like that, you seem to be in command of the specifics so i trust you will have a better answer than i could give even after practicing this for a while.
Although I seem to be in command of the specifics, honestly I don't know too much about the technical stuff. I just know how to do it and wanted to show errbody.

I do know however, that it is easier (for me at least) to follow up on fast fallers after an up+B rather then floaties since they just fly away. I have successfully landed a FH/SH d.air on falco a bunch, but again I have no way to prove that it is actually a follow up.

WumpaWolfy

Smash Cadet
:urg: That has never happened to me. Are your doing a successful up+B cancel, or are you turning around in mid air? If I were to guess though, I would say it sounds like it is a problem with your controller. Your joystick may just be REALLY sensitive so that you always end up facing right. Try doing it with another controller....maybe

I tried it with two other controllers and the same thing keeps happening :/ But yes they are successful UpB cancels where doc doesn't leave the ground and I see a couple coins when it connects.

strawhats

Smash Master
Thanks alot Mr. Lemon...this is one of the few ATs that I haven't really explored.

RedGamer

Smash Ace
*ahem* I realize that I am bumping this thread, but I would like to ask something.
has anyone evern done this to escape shield pressure from falcon/sheik/fox or falco on platform stages/shield pressure in general?

Mr.Lemon

Smash Journeyman
*ahem* I realize that I am bumping this thread, but I would like to ask something.
has anyone evern done this to escape shield pressure from falcon/sheik/fox or falco on platform stages/shield pressure in general?
Yes I do it a lot against Falco and Falcon the most oos when shield pressured, just to get them away from me. It works great for that

Rocketpowerchill

Smash Ace
hey for oos, which button shud u shield with for up-b cancel, I am used to L and wen i up b cancel I accidently roll because my fingers are moving so much on left side of controller. any tips on how to feel comfortable doing OOS UP B Cancel

RedGamer

Smash Ace
hey for oos, which button shud u shield with for up-b cancel, I am used to L and wen i up b cancel I accidently roll because my fingers are moving so much on left side of controller. any tips on how to feel comfortable doing OOS UP B Cancel
try releasing the shield button as you up-b cancel

Rocketpowerchill

Smash Ace
good stuff, definitely feels easier to do and i love up-b cancel, its like a samus dtilt, great for mixing up with jabs and shield pressure
its use in a match shud be very uncommon only certain scenarios work but its very flashy

mas_torque

Smash Apprentice
Figured out an easier way to do it instead of just mashing the stick. If you push it softly in the direction you want to attack and then fully push it in the opposite direction upon pressing B. It allows you to do the cancel in a smoother motion. Hold the soft direction then press B and cancel.

BTmoney

a l l b e c o m e $
Figured out an easier way to do it instead of just mashing the stick. If you push it softly in the direction you want to attack and then fully push it in the opposite direction upon pressing B. It allows you to do the cancel in a smoother motion. Hold the soft direction then press B and cancel.
nice, I'm gonna attempt this later, never tired this. Looks like a super good OOS option fxk a space animal

mas_torque

Smash Apprentice
nice, I'm gonna attempt this later, never tired this. Looks like a super good OOS option fxk a space animal
today's my first day trying it and i already have it pretty consistent after only like 20 minutes. i can't seem to get it OoS though haha

edit: nvm got oos. and it's a really subtle movement but once you get the feel for it it's super easy and consistent.

edit #2: push the stick halfway to the first direction and all the way for the cancel direction seems to work best

mas_torque

Smash Apprentice
It might be a bit faster, I don't have AR, but it's definitely possible. The correct directions are in between straight up and the diagonals. NOT just the diagonals.

Rocketpowerchill

Smash Ace
i was doing straight upb cancels off of edge dashes
its disgusting

but had the same problem for months and still havent figured it out
i ****ing roll everytime i try oos, i go upleft down right for the cancel, oos i roll 100%
shud i be doing it vertically?

mas_torque

Smash Apprentice
it's up left > up right or vice versa but it's not in the groove of the control stick, it's on the flat part right above the diagonal

Mr.Lemon

Smash Journeyman
i was doing straight upb cancels off of edge dashes
its disgusting

but had the same problem for months and still havent figured it out
i ****ing roll everytime i try oos, i go upleft down right for the cancel, oos i roll 100%
shud i be doing it vertically?
wait are there multiple ways of canceling, everyone i see do it does up left -> up right?

can you actually upb cancel up and dow ?
can we get a 2013 upb cancel video?
If you keep rolling while in shield then you're doing the motion of the joystick first instead of hitting B first. Basically hit B faster.

Don't do a down motion at all, watch the motion I make in the video.

You can only Up+B cancel 1 way. You can't cancel up and down.

Rocketpowerchill

Smash Ace
If you keep rolling while in shield then you're doing the motion of the joystick first instead of hitting B first. Basically hit B faster.

Don't do a down motion at all, watch the motion I make in the video.

You can only Up+B cancel 1 way. You can't cancel up and down.

aight cool,

cuz i was thinking u cud go from any direction and go opposite. i guess thats why ive been doing it inconsistent.
as i said i thought i went upleft down right, now i know my thumb was accidentally passing up right out of control problems.

wow im a ****ing dumbass and thnak you mr lemon :)

if anyone gets it down oos, its pretty much more technical than any fox has, as of now i didnt even know how to do this properly lol :) gg

Top Bottom