• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to transition from P:M to Melee?

ROFLPIZZA

Smash Rookie
Hello, all. I've been playing Project M for the better part of my smash career now, but I recently gained an interest in switching to Melee. I played some high(ish) level Melee with a few friends and noticed that it's much more different from P:M than I initially thought. I main Fox and Marth, so I was lucky in the sense that they are also in Melee. However, I noticed that my Fox doesn't carry over very well while my Marth does. Furthermore, I am accustomed to playing with tap jump off because I hate it (I just can't do up-tilts with it on).

Any tips on how to make the switch effectively?

Have your PM controls mimic Melee's. You can still keep tap jump off. Just play the game. There's not much more to it than that. You'll learn it better and faster that way

Xyzz

Smash Champion
Play melee. A lot. ;)
Personally when playing P:M (casually having fun with that one), i don't want to play my melee chars, because everything just is ever so slightly off, and looks similar enough to confuse me a lot, but there are definitely people who do just play the same char.

Regarding uptilts without tap-jumping. There's two main ways going about that:
a) slowly move the stick upwards.
b) don't move the stick up all the way.

Learning to do the second one definitely helps.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Tap jump is really useful once you get used to it. As far as characters go, I've heard from a lot of P:M players that they can't play the same character in both games. Spacies especially are hard to switch back and forth with because of how messed up the barlw physics engine is. I'd just suggest dropping P:M entirely and enjoy Melee in all its glory, but I guess I'm more than a little biased. ;)

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
Lots of ppl don't like Tap Jump, but if you want U-tilts in Melee (necessary for both of your mains lol), if suggest keeping it on in PM. You might not use it, and it can seem to be a hindrance, but after a week or two of working on it you'll probably adjust until it's no longer an issue.

ROFLPIZZA

Smash Rookie
Play melee. A lot. ;)
Personally when playing P:M (casually having fun with that one), i don't want to play my melee chars, because everything just is ever so slightly off, and looks similar enough to confuse me a lot, but there are definitely people who do just play the same char.

Regarding uptilts without tap-jumping. There's two main ways going about that:
a) slowly move the stick upwards.
b) don't move the stick up all the way.

Learning to do the second one definitely helps.
Thanks for the tips on pulling off up-tilts, that was one of my main issues. I think that second one may be the better option.

ROFLPIZZA

Smash Rookie
Lots of ppl don't like Tap Jump, but if you want U-tilts in Melee (necessary for both of your mains lol), if suggest keeping it on in PM. You might not use it, and it can seem to be a hindrance, but after a week or two of working on it you'll probably adjust until it's no longer an issue.
This is a good idea and I can't believe I didn't think of it. Thanks a ton for the suggestion!

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Another way to get utilt is to press up during the lag of something else. With fox, if you are trying to dair->utilt press up while you are lcanceling or before you even hit the ground, then simply press A when its time to utilt. With marth you can wavedash utilt by pressing up during the wavedash animation and pressing A when it finishes.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
If you are having trouble with the execution, all that you have to do is go back to the most primitive mechanics behind the action you're trying to perform. For u-tilts, just try to *tilt* the analog stick instead of clicking or tapping it. You will get it down in no time.

Last edited:

menotyou135

Smash Journeyman
Play with tap jump on for a while in both so you learn to up tilt with finess.

The main difference between the two on a gameplay sense is that recoveries aren't as good.

If you are having problems with melee fox, just play him a lot. You will get the hang of the differences.

Tails_Glados_Puff

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Console ban tho
I've noticed that playing spacies in PM and melee at the same time is so frustrating and annoying that it's not worth it. PM to melee is harder than Melee to PM because Melee is generally more difficult. If you want to stick with Melee, for the love of all that is Falco and his prosthetic legs, ditch PM.
ditch pm
play melee
Nuff sed.

N1c2k3

Smash Lord
Don't turn tap jump off. That's how you do Usmash and UpB OoS. You're technically jumping out of the shield then UpSmash/B'ing before you leave the ground. There's nothing you can really "do" to help you transition. Nothing helps transition like good ol' grinding it out. Just learn to control your hands like everyone else, get off the boards, and go pick up the controller...

Last edited:
Top Bottom