• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How To Swap Single Animations!

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
"with a little bit of rigging"

You do know what rigging is... right?
>_> Not talking about 3d modeling, just using the figure of speech here. Sheesh.

I don't have homebrew channel yet, but I'm getting it soon so, I was wondering if someone could answer this.
If I put D3's crouch as ZSS's crouch, how natural would it look? Would it be a slight distortion or complete distortion?
There WILL be distortion, but I don't think anyone has tested ZSS over DDD, so there is no telling how bad the distortion could be.

Lol, I wouldn't doubt a huge distortion. =P

Okay, I've run into a problem. I tried giving Marth's Side-B final low attack [the one where he stabs low a lot] to Sheik. I replaced her SpecialAirNCancel, since I don't use it. Then I went to PSA, took a whole new Sheik.pac, and changed the low F-Tilt animation to SpecialAirNCancel, and modified the hitboxes to match. I put both the motion pac and the FitSheik.pac in my SD Card.

The problem: The match freezes 3-7 seconds in. It doesn't matter what move you're doing, it just freezes. I even tested the Marth tilt before the freeze; the hitboxes and animation work perfectly. Could anyone tell me what's wrong?

P.S. I do have a Zelda PSA running as well, but no motion pac for her. Before this I also tested just giving her the Marth motion pac and renaming it, and everything worked fine, except for the B moves. I'll post the pacs if you'd like.
Well...are you using any stage mods? If something is causing a freeze, then you should remove each piece one by one until it stops freezing. My guess is that something in PSA or the stage is messed up, because when you mess up the motion file, it won't let you on to the stage.

This is why its important to test one change at a time :3.
I have a noob question. Is a Motion file the same as a MotionEtc file? Koopa, GigaKoopa, Zakochild, Zakoball, Zakogirl, and Zakoboy all only have Fit(Character)Motion.pac files and not Fit(Character)MotionEtc.pac files like the all of the other characters.
I have not used any of these, but if I had to guess, I would say that they are indeed the same files. The only difference is that they have a lot less of the animations because they don't have specials and stuff.
-DD

Kyzon Xin

Smash Journeyman
Hmm i tried to change link's standng to have him stand like Ganon. could the sword be the problem?

Kyzon Xin

Smash Journeyman
Hmm do you know what the prob would be? it buzz freezes while the stage loads. i also tried something different like giving link sheik's run it went on for a couple seconds then froze

...:::VILE:::...

Smash Ace
With animations, they may work for a little bit until a bone that does not exist is called.

With link, he has his hat bones, so if they don't exist on the new model, they will freeze when they are called.

Kyzon Xin

Smash Journeyman
Ah forgot all about the hat bones -_-
in that case i cant do some of the things i wanted with him

thx tho

hochin

Smash Cadet
Been messing with Super Sonic animations and it seems that replacing Sonic's "Run" file with anything results in the animation showing up but Sonic staying in place.

Also the figure 8 blur shows up... Would I have to do something to his FitSonic.pac to get this to work properly?

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
I just posted something related in the Mewtwo topic:
The run/walk animations are really weird to mess with. Something to do with the animations themselves determine how they work. For example, if you replace a character's run animation with one of their walks, their run will be the same speed as the walk you pasted over it. Maybe there's some way to fix that so you can change a run animation to a glide?

.Fade

Smash Journeyman
Well...are you using any stage mods? If something is causing a freeze, then you should remove each piece one by one until it stops freezing. My guess is that something in PSA or the stage is messed up, because when you mess up the motion file, it won't let you on to the stage.

This is why its important to test one change at a time :3.
Okay, now I'm completely lost.

So...I've completely cleaned out my SD Card of every other file except the FitSheikMotionEtc.pac. I've edited the GCT to have ONLY File Patch 3.5.1 [and infinite replays =D].

I followed your instructions exactly; I extracted SpecialS4Low from Marth and replaced Sheik's AttackS3S with Brawlbox. I renamed SpecialS4Low as AttackS3S, then saved. I copied the file to my SD Card. I didn't even go to PSA this time.

Popped in the SD card, started a match. I do the correct animation FOUR TIMES, and yet after five seconds the game freezes. What am I doing wrong? The only thing that could possibly be at fault now is the motion file.

If anyone wants to check this for me, here it is:
http://rapidshare.com/files/300426599/FitSheikMotionEtc2.pac

Kei_Takaro

Smash Lord
@OP, does this work when replacing animations in 1 character? (Sonic's dash atk animation swaps with Sonic's Bair for example?)

AssaultFalcon

Smash Cadet
So do you need a code to use brawlbox modified characters and motionetc. files, or can i just drop it in the character folder next to the pac. and texture. If There's is a code, I'd appreciate a link( I don't mind looking for it on my own, but we're all quakers here, arent we?)

NARUTOG

Smash Cadet
can you also switch with specails animation too like if i wanted to give ikes, links boomerang

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
Does peach's dress have bones that could screw up swaps?
Nope. Its like Marth's cape.

can you also switch with specails animation too like if i wanted to give ikes, links boomerang
Yes, all animations can be replaced. However, you probably can't give Ike link's entire boomerang move, just the animation.
-DD

DevilKiller

Smash Apprentice
Well, there's the File Replacement Code itself. Check out the Texture changing stickied thread, and scroll down till you find the code for File Replacement 3.5.1. I'm assuming you use Code Manager 1.2 at least.

If not, start your search engines and get ready for some typing.

Sweet thanks :) I was thinking about exporting some of her animations onto say ZSS or even Luigi (lolz) but wasnt sure if the dress would be a major problem.
Funny, isn't it? I've replaced some of Ike's animations with other animations from Samus (Aerial Down-a), Zero Suit Samus (Neutral A), Snake (forward tilt knee), Zelda (Item tilts), and even CAPTAIN FALCON (running animation is full of win), but the cape always moves nicely along with the animation.

The do have a lot in common. Mainly that they're all human, roughly the same height, and have 'flowing models' on them. (Cape, bandanna, dress, hair, scarf. And before you ask, Captain Falcon does have a scarf. Sort of.)

Poor Ganon and Link, too tall/short to model swap with any other humans smoothly. :bee: I suppose Link and Pokemon Trainer can get together, but it would be weird.

.Fade

Smash Journeyman
Yes, all animations can be replaced. However, you probably can't give Ike link's entire boomerang move, just the animation.
-DD
I'm pretty sure animations with names specific to one character [like SpecialNSpin for Metaknight] won't transfer over without freezing the game. I have yet to find one that does.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Mine isn't working.
When I replace the move, I don't need to rename it or anything (So if I save Ike's B and click Replace for Marth's Down B, the name doesn't change). And when I run the game, it doesn't freeze or anything but the hack doesn't work.

SpooknChed

Smash Rookie
Well...that's not entirely true. From what I can tell, it will move all the corresponding bones it can find. However, it WILL reshape your character's model as much as possible to accomodate the move. Like, when Lucario does anything with Charizard's moves, his arms come out of their sockets so he'll be more "Charizard shaped".

But you can probably use 90% of all the animations, and maybe 5% of them will only work if you rig it in PSA. This only swaps the animation data, and nothing else, so its not like the moveswap code, where trying to Falcon punch would try to load the fire effect that the character didn't have, causing a crash.

-DD
how do you edit the moveset into your melee iso now

GodBarrierDjinn

Smash Cadet
Is there a way to have Wolf's Wait1 animation match with Ike's bones? Like editing the bones in brawlbox preview maybe?

Top Bottom