• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to stop Approaching with Nair

PsychoSoldier

Smash Cadet
Want to approach but can't get through? All of your neutral airs getting countered or falling short? Are you tired of getting knocked out of your Nairs with mere jabs?

Well You Don't Have to Worry About That Anymore!

StrongNormals presents "The Simpler Guide to Getting Hits!" - Now with extra content!
No more getting F-smashed by out of the air!
After reading this book you'll dancing around your opponents with Neutral destroying knowledge! Get your order today for $21.95! That's right - Just 21.95! Call 1-800-172-2000! That's 1-800-172-2000! Get yours Today!!

Jokes aside I'm sick of seeing bad Pichu neutrals. In any case, I really will be writing a guide. You probably won't be seeing any tournament sets from me any time soon, but hopefully I'll have some recorded in Japan if I get to play aMSa and the Cpt. You're probably thinking I'm not veritable and you have every right to - but that's not going to stop me from helping you.
Potentially.
Since I'm away from college, I'll have to make a mini scene for melee (luckily the president of Clemson Smash is a close high school friend) and hope for the best. I'm also trying to help SC grow. Believe it or not, Clemson was close to beating GTech in TMG (They actually swept every team out there and we lost by 6 stocks which isnt that bad in comparison) - so yeah we're decent but growing. In any case, I want to make the best guide for this character so Players around the globe will play this character more and abstain from dismissing Pichu as an nonviable character. If find something of interest about the character's tech please inbox - email me. Thank you in advance and have a good run.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct...-cTEXXekMZSmi86o5yM2tz-Q&ust=1463614867181120

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
DD and other footsies + Dash SH Nair beats reaction time from a third the length of pretty much any legal stage

It's all Pichu has got at a high level aside from Jolt which damages Pichu of course

But even though he can beat reaction time and is fast enough to punish a lot and tech chase.....so can other better characters in pretty much every single way but better and with less effort. Pichu is directly worse than Pikachu in almost every viable way (consider MUs), and he's worse by almost direct comparison to Fox, Falco, Falcon, Marth......to a lesser degree Mario and Doc. Ganon by comparison requires like 20% of the effort and inputs but and is still much more viable in all comparable MUs. Have fun thinking about ICs, Peach, Jigglypuff, Sheik. Samus, Pikachu MUs while crying into a pillow softly. Those are not fun to play; forget viability, is the character even fun to play against all the viable tourney characters? My opinion, NO...aside from Bowser, Pichu is the least fun against non-FFers or mid tiers. You will never win against equal or better players using viable characters, and you will lose to worse players that can learn the MU. You will lose to noobs abusing CC against Pichu.

I only wrote that last paragraph because of this -

In any case, I want to make the best guide for this character so Players around the globe will play this character more and abstain from dismissing Pichu as an nonviable character. If find something of interest about the character's tech please inbox - email me. Thank you in advance and have a good run.

Last edited:

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
down tilt is pretty decent, so don't forget about that.

Plunder Plunder it's nice that you posted, but there's a bit more than that to pichu. think of what westballz does with falco, how radically different his movement is from other falcos. concepts of pichu's neutral game can be developed with stuff like what west did with falco. i'm not saying he'll become viable (he likely won't), but surely better.

the muted smasher

Smash Journeyman
This is one of the worst things I've ever read, Pichu is viable only within the realm of the neutral game, however his punishment game is so under classed the risk reward ratio makes what would be a decent match up a nightmare. Also his tech skill ceiling or I guess floor(what he has to do to stand apart from pika) is insanely high

Last edited:

PsychoSoldier

Smash Cadet
@Comet7 ChivalRuse ChivalRuse nice stuff. I hope the steady flow of ideas continues. the muted smasher the muted smasher I thought I'd hear something more positive from you, but hey - can't win em all. Hopefully we'll get more knowledge about matchups and general dos and don'ts later on. Speaking of which - I've forgotten to post in the match-up thread about "vs marth"

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Pichu is an easy character to play in the sense that you have so few viable options in neutral. Nair/bair and grab. Maybe uair to challenge somebody jumping over you. I feel that d-tilt is significantly worse than Pikachu's, due to having slightly less range. U-tilt is extremely situational, as are the smash attacks.

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
100% agree.

Same for F-tilt, D-tilt is especially not worth talking about in neutral.

I really think all Pichu mains should just switch over to Pikachu, he actually is semi-viable and he actually needs more mains to represent. Maining Pichu is kind of a waste, like maining Dan in SF.

But this game is about having fun, so i guess keep on playing Pichu if you're having fun. But I can't possibly fathom how anyone that plays Pichu competitively actually has fun in any MU aside from Fox/Falco/Falcon, just seems like torture.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Yeah, maining Pichu doesn't really give you an advantages, except that you are a smaller target and have a better grab range. For some people, that might be an incentive maybe. But being lighter and having worse hitboxes and doing damage to yourself are usually deal breakers.

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
rocket science right there^

down tilt is good. do you want to approach with something less committal than nair? down tilt works. of course it's not as good as pikachu's, but who cares?

pichu's neutral is just a slower pikachu's with a better nair. maybe pivot grab can be incorporated with pichu's bigger and more disjointed grab, but those situations are so rare that it's not something that should be focused on (but please talk about niches like this, the small things add up).

up tilt has great disjoint. it lasts a bit too long to be thrown out in neutral without a solid read, but it's good for intercepting nearly anything.

Last edited:

the muted smasher

Smash Journeyman
Thing about Pichu,s nair over pika,s is besides having a better L cancel and being disjointed and able to tear through other approaches is unlike pika Pichu has some serious mix ups in his 2 frame empty land he can do things like empty turn around spacing an up smash on marth/marth,s shield (he can't grab punish but it looks like he can) or grab/ D tilt.

F tilt is awesome because upwards angled will clank with Martha f smash and most moves in general if they don't run into the long lasting hit box by mistake (had Godly frame data and becomes more disjointed the later the hit)

I just don't think anyone can knock the nair heavy pichu other than staleing out till we have someone Techical enough to apply all current known nair knowledge and there's a lot never seen

Top Bottom