• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to spike with Roy? (Q)

The Sleeve

Smash Rookie
There's 2 meteors and 1 spike with Roy. One meteor is his left shoulder on his down-air, all of the other hit boxes in the attack will take priority over the meteor hitbox. Another meteor is the third upward tilted hit on the double edge dance. With this meteor the hitbox on the upper half of the sword will actually send opponents kind of upward so it will only send opponents down if you hit with the hilt or center of the sword.

The true spike is on his up-smash. When Roy does his up smash the attack kind of pulls an opponents downward a bit then the last hit of the up-smash sends opponents upward. If they don't get hit by the last upward hit the attack will spike. The spike is incredibly unreliable and there are so many variables that contribute to it happening you can't really intentionally hit it, it's just kind of something that happens every now and then.

vZakat

Half Genie
The true spike is on his up-smash. When Roy does his up smash the attack kind of pulls an opponents downward a bit then the last hit of the up-smash sends opponents upward. If they don't get hit by the last upward hit the attack will spike. The spike is incredibly unreliable and there are so many variables that contribute to it happening you can't really intentionally hit it, it's just kind of something that happens every now and then.
The up smash one is a meteor as well.

The Sleeve

Smash Rookie
I'm not so sure, I've never seen someone able to meteor cancel out of it and I've always seen the attack spike outside of the range Melee recognizes for a meteor. I asked Sethlon about it a while back he said it was a spike and the ssbwiki says it's a spike.

The Sleeve

Smash Rookie
The cpus will recover the frame they get out of hitstun, the spike might not have a lot of hitstun which would explain how they can recover so soon.

Last edited:

Genghis_Connor

Smash Cadet
NNID
Genghis_Connor27
3DS FC
4356-1827-2712
Yeah, upsmash is actually a true spike, believe it or not. It's got crazy vertical trajectory which makes it look like a meteor and function like a meteor except for the lack of cancelling (which is good because it's so goddamn hard to actually land).

Jink8

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, upsmash is actually a true spike, believe it or not. It's got crazy vertical trajectory which makes it look like a meteor and function like a meteor except for the lack of cancelling (which is good because it's so goddamn hard to actually land).
i just did it and it felt great

Top Bottom