• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to shorten foxes illusion (side B)

sleak-

Smash Journeyman
With falco I can mash B and it usually works out well, but with fox it dosent really work, any tips on how to shorten foxes illusion? thank you

Ezzee

Smash Apprentice
This is probably because Falco's illusion can be cancelled earlier than Fox's. Practicing with Falco would probably through off your timing with Fox, even if you are mashing.

Ezzee

Smash Apprentice
Start later. You probably have a pretty consistent time of when you start mashing and the speed at which you mash, which is why it works with falco but not fox

pik

Smash Rookie
It just takes time to practice. If you're not getting it, it's probably because you're pressing B the second time too early. You press B again RIGHT before Fox's illusion starts, almost instantaneously. I practiced it for an hour-ish one day and got it moderately consistent.

SneakyDave

Smash Cadet
It just takes time to practice. If you're not getting it, it's probably because you're pressing B the second time too early. You press B again RIGHT before Fox's illusion starts, almost instantaneously. I practiced it for an hour-ish one day and got it moderately consistent.
Would you happen to know the frame windows for this?
Like if you press it slightly later, will you do the slightly longer sideB?

BonaparteZ

Smash Rookie
Relying on mashing too much sounds like a bad idea to me. Of course, mashing is a safe-guard against accidentally pressing too early so that it still cancels, but I really think you should aim for the correct frame. I do it by ear and it's not incredibly difficult. I listen for that "pling"-sound and time my second B-press in relationship to that.

Edit: @ RaynEX RaynEX below: Just in case, I didn't mean to say that you press B before the "woosh" sound, but I find it easier to listen for "pling", start my inner clock there, and then press B (although the "woosh" sound has already started). Listening for the "woosh" was no good for me. Maybe it's because the "pling" is way more defined.

Last edited:

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
The most consistent method is to tap B when the "whoosh" noise normally occurs. Tapping B any earlier than that, for example when you hear the "ping" sound, is incorrect timing.

In order to master its varying lengths (there way more than people realize), you have to understand that theoretically you can hit B at any point during the illusion and stop there. That's how top level Foxes edge cancel illusions so easily upon recovery. Aside from using the whoosh, a good practice method is to go to any platform level and practice ending your illusion on specific points on the platforms. Illusion straight above a platform and hit B when you feel Fox would be passing over the spot you want to stop at. That's how I've been doing it for years and now its second nature.

Using the "whoosh" sound is only useful if you want the incredibly short length were you virtually get no distance. Every other version has to be done manually, using latter method I described.

Last edited:

BTmoney

a l l b e c o m e $
do it once on accident, then your brain and muscle memory kind of kick in. after you get in on accident/after trying and you get it once it becomes really easy

that's how I learned. I learned with falco by mashing at first. now it's just do it on command. try mashing slower/longer/more spaced out for fox. I use one of the middle/short falco illusions and I use a fox length that's just slightly longer. that length is a bit after the falco length in timing. I shorten the same way with both cars but I just do it slower with fox since the window is later (it's sort of like having a BPM/metronome muscle memory for each)

looking at the frame data/reading a bit about it might help

Last edited:

Rob Taylor

Smash Rookie
Sydney Australia, Cleveland Ohio, Cincinnati Ohio
The shortest shorten (and easiest to learn) happens on frame 20, so about 180 bpm. That should be a good baseline to learn the timing, just get a metronome online that gives you the 180 bpm and that should be a good baseline.

I think you can get the empty shorten a few frames before 20, but try playing with the timing to learn them. Once you get the shortest timing it becomes pretty easy to teach yourself the other two mid-shortens, as you can see a lot more easily whether you pushed it too soon or too late.

Top Bottom