• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to Shield Drop consistently during a match?

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
(Sorry, mods, if this is in the wrong section)
So, Shield Dropping. It's been with us since Smash 64 and we can all agree it's useful.
However, the input for a shield drop in this game is rather specific, :GCLT::GCD:, but :GCD: needs to be at a very specific speed, between the speed you use to shuffle your shield and the speed you use to Spotdodge.
But how on Earth are you supposed to do that in the middle of a match? Training it in Training mode where you have all the time in the world is one thing, but applying it during a match when a Cpt. Falcon is flying at your direction ready to knee you is another.
The problem is that, whenever I mean to do it, I accidentally do a Spotdodge, since it's way too hard to do anything with such finesse in the middle of a match. So how do you people practice how to Shield Drop consistently?

Nazo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nazoplex
Well, there is a slightly easier way to do it.

When on a platform, you can try holding the control stick to the farthest left or right
and then gently move down to the down-diagonal position. doing it this way helps you focus less on the distance from center to bottom and more on how fast you move the control stick.

It's a technique that Axe, the melee player, uses for his consistent shield drops; pretty much works the same for smash 4.

Last edited:

Rinku リンク

Hero of "Likes"
NNID
JinnyK
Smash Corner recently made a video about shield dropping if you wanna check that out.

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
Smash Corner recently made a video about shield dropping if you wanna check that out.
Yeah, that's exactly the video I watched when I asked myself that question.
Pressing it in a specific speed during gameplay is kind of hell.

Top Bottom