• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Universe How to save the New Super Mario Bros. series

Quillion

Smash Hero
After being massively commercially successful in the past, the NSMB series has definitely become snark bait for both non-fans and fans, with many calling it Nintendo's Call of Duty. Going along with this, NSMB2 and U both sold about 1/10th the previous games sold.

However, no one will admit to calling the games outright "bad"; just rather average. So here's one simple thing they can do to save the series:

Give the next NSMB game a character roster similar to that of the sports spinoffs. We get to play as Wario, Waluigi, Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, Baby Mario, Baby Peach, Toadette, and all the rest. Give them stats that slightly adjust their playstyles so that they're about as different from each other like the Mario Kart games. This isn't Smash; it's Mario, so the simpler route is better.

Considering that the NSMB series has become its own "secondary" thing separate from the main series, this wouldn't be too strange.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I just want to see one based on Doki Doki Panic

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I mean taking place in subcon with wart and all

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I feel like a couple things could be improved on, which does include the bosses that are fought. Sure, the worlds would remain pretty much the same, but what if the mountain world had a Chinese like setting, just to make it more unique.

Heroine of Winds

Smash Ace
Only things I want to see is make levels with different themes that aren't the same level tropes like the desert or underwater levels, for example. Along with composing different music without relying on the annoying 'BAH' sound.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Only things I want to see is make levels with different themes that aren't the same level tropes like the desert or underwater levels, for example. Along with composing different music without relying on the annoying 'BAH' sound.
I feel like a couple things could be improved on, which does include the bosses that are fought. Sure, the worlds would remain pretty much the same, but what if the mountain world had a Chinese like setting, just to make it more unique.

That's purely cosmetic. How will that help gameplay at all?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Maybe not so much on the gameplay, but having more diverse enemies and bosses wouldn't hurt. Imagine seeing Mario have to deal with enemies like the Zeus Guy.

This would apply to the bosses as well, where Mario wouldn't always be dealing with Boom Boom and the Koopalings, but also some other bosses, with a couple old faces making a return. For a whole list on what I'm saying...

World 1-Fort: Boom Boom
World 1-Castle: Larry Koopa

World 2-Fort: Giant Mummipokey
World 2-Castle: Morton Koopa Jr.

World 3-Fort: Pom Pom
World 3-Castle: Wendy O. Koopa

World 4-Fort 1: Reznor (x4)
World 4-Fort 2: Goomboss
World 4-Castle: Iggy Koopa

World 5-Fort 1: Winged Boom Boom
World 5-Fort 2: Boss Sumo Bro
World 5-Castle: Roy Koopa

World 6-Fort 1: Reznor (x6)
World 6-Fort 2: Chief Chilly
World 6-Castle: Lemmy Koopa

World 7-Fort 1: Ninja Pom Pom
World 7-Fort 2: Petey Piranha
World 7-Castle: Ludwig von Koopa

World 8-Fort 1: Reznor (x8)
World 8-Castle 1: Bowser Jr.
World 8-Fort 2: Kamek
World 8-Castle 2: Bowser

World 9-Castle: Dry Bowser

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I think cosmetics probably have a greater impact on people's perception of a game than you think. I wouldn't say cosmetics will fix everything on their own, but I think having different-themed levels and enemies would go some ways toward preventing people from feeling like they're playing the same exact game over and over again, even without altering the actual gameplay.

That said, I think your proposal of a change-up in characters would probably help as well, contributing to the same sort of "this is no longer a blatant copy-paste" effect while also making way for some new directions in level design.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Characters having different attributes like the Mario 3D World game

Also fighting a boss that isn't Bowser would REALLY mix things up. Reason why I want it set in Subcon.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Better backgrounds and music would go a long ways, as would more variety in the power-ups. Biggest thing would probably be a greater sense of progression. Kinda hard to do in Mario without making it not Mario though... I'd make the game more interconnected and give switch palaces and secret exits more prominent roles. Naturally, you can skip certain switches if you have the right power-up and are skilled enough. Add slower, more cerebral stages that act like hubs for worlds and introduce new mechanics and skills to new players so they can later be used more fully in proper stages. Add a few more tricks to Mario's arsenal for good measure.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Better backgrounds and music would go a long ways, as would more variety in the power-ups. Biggest thing would probably be a greater sense of progression. Kinda hard to do in Mario without making it not Mario though... I'd make the game more interconnected and give switch palaces and secret exits more prominent roles. Naturally, you can skip certain switches if you have the right power-up and are skilled enough. Add slower, more cerebral stages that act like hubs for worlds and introduce new mechanics and skills to new players so they can later be used more fully in proper stages. Add a few more tricks to Mario's arsenal for good measure.
I honestly don't know what the deal is with the NSMB team not making an interconnected map on the level of SMW.

Even a fan team could do that (Newer SMBW is amazing).

And one more thing: why can't we just take Yoshi out on the world map like SMW?

Last edited:
- You should be able to take Yoshi to the world map like in SMW.
- Have more playable characters (like Peach or Wario), ditch both Toads in favor of the one with red spots and blue vest (Toadsworth can run the Toad Houses).
- Have unique bosses like in the original NSMB instead of using Koopalings again, also fix the biggest problem that bosses in NSMB have: Jump onto the boss, then jump on it again instantly when it's possible, then jump again and the boss is dead. That thing makes bosses way too easy.
- Bring Hammer Suit back.
- Have someone else as final boss instead of Bowser again (he could be penultimate boss or even playable character).
- More creative worlds instead of the same grass, desert, ice, water, etc.
- Also, drop "New" from the title, it's unnecessary.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I think to 'save' the series to simply stop making NSMB games and make a brand new 2D Mario. They shouldn't overdo a serious that already has repetitive aspects so much so, it hurts the brand of Mario in the long run and provides decent sales in the short run.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Looking at Super Mario Land 2, I'm surprised at how the aesthetics and atmosphere is so creative.

NSMB should take from that instead.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I wouldn't mind them going for a more hand drawn art style. Kinda like the modern Rayman games but Mario style. I think that would give it a fresh looking appeal and probably looking as colourful as Super Mario World.

I would like to have them keep Yoshi around too when you complete a level.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
☯ One of my problems with the series is the surprise that NSMB DS and Wii did, (A lot of different bosses, or the Koopalings), I haven't seen many that throw me off. Honestly if NSMB 2 didn't exist the series would had worked better. NSMB U had a great final boss and stage designs, while NSMB 2 had a watered down version of the Wii one except with better power ups.

Underhill

Smash Ace
NNID
Chase47
What would make the NSMB series better?
  • Have a new story that doesn't involve with Peach being kidnapped. I have nothing against Peach, but I do like to have a new plot for a change.
  • More characters playable like in Super Mario 3D World. Nothing wrong with playing as the Mario bros and they're my favorite characters, but I do like to play a character like Rosalina.
  • Make the levels and the worlds different and harder to beat.
  • Make new power ups, but also have more power ups to use like the Super Mario bros 3.
  • New bosses and a final boss that involve Bowser.
  • Have the spining attack from the Super Mario Galaxy series.
  • Have the hammer as a weapon like from Mario vs Donkey kong if the enemies are too strong or if its to needed to break walls and rocks.
The NSMB series is ok, but it just needs to have something new for a change so it can be exciting for everybody and enjoyable too.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
What i would to do a better Mario game: (I'm naming it: New Super Mario Bros. 3, i know it has the word NEW)

More Characters:
Mario (Starter)
Luigi (Unlocked after beating World 1)
Yoshi (Unlocked after beating World 3
Poochy (Unlocked after beating World 4, can't use power-ups)
Peach (Unlocked after beating World 9)
Daisy (Unlocked after beating World 2)
Toad (Unlocked after beating World 8)
Wario (Unlocked after beating World 5)
Waluigi (Unlocked after beating World 6)
Nabbit (Unlocked after beating World 7, can't use power-ups)
Rosalina (Unlocked after beating World 11, the secret world

Idea for a Story:
Bowser has stolen a mythical treasure and shattered it into ten pieces and gave them to his minions also kidnapping Mario's friends who are held hostage in each world, it is up to our moustached hero to get the treasure pieces and his friends back (btw Bowser is holding the last piece and the other nine are guarded by his minions)

Power-Ups:
-Mushroom
-Mini Mushroom
-Mega Mushroom
-Propeller Mushroom
-Feather Cape
-Frog Suit
-Super Leaf
-Super Acorn
-Hammer Suit
-Fire Flower
-Ice Flower
-Water Flower (NEW)
-Electric Flower (NEW)
-Poison Flower (NEW)
-Bullet Suit (NEW)
-Centaur Suit (NEW, was cut from Mario bros 3)

Unique Worlds: (Grass/Desert/Water/Snow/Jungle/Cliff/Clouds/Lava is making me die of boredom)
W-1: Shy Fortress
W-2: Creep Woods
W-3: Piranha Temple
W-4: Caramel Volcano
W-5: Midas Utopia
W-6: Frost-Burn Ruins
W-7: Tar Caverns
W-8: Mt. Dragon
W-9: Cosmic Battlefield
W-10: Eclipse Core (Last World, takes place inside our Sun)
W-11: Wart's Empire (Secret World)

Different Bosses: (They have health bars, the Koopalings are pretty boring)
1-Tower: Under-Chomp (3 headed Chomp from Super Paper Mario)
1-Castle: General Guy
----------
2-Tower: Mad Piano
2-Castle: King Boo
----------
3-Tower: Knucklotec
3-Castle: Naval Piranha
----------
4-Tower: Draggadon
4-Castle: Chiliconda (A gigantic snake)
----------
5-Tower: Foreman Spike
5-Castle: Shake King
----------
6-Tower: Chief Chilly (Ice half of world)
6-Tower: King Kaliente (Fire half of world)
6-Castle: Baron Brrr & Lord Burn (bit like Brrr but is a fireball)
----------
7-Tower: Kingfin (Swims around in tar, skeletal shark from Galaxy)
7-Castle: T. Rex (from Odyssey)
----------
8-Tower: Buzzar
8-Castle: Gobblegut
----------
9-Tower: Diggaleg
9-Castle: Topmaniac
----------
10-Tower: Kamek
10-Tower: Junior
10-Castle: Bowser/Hellfire Bowser (like Giga Bowser from Smash but more nightmarish and terrifying, he transforms into this in the second phase)
----------
11-Tower: Mouser
11-Castle: King Wart

Last edited:
Top Bottom