• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to safely and effectively edgeguard?

Which type of edgeguarding is better for Bowser?

• Off-stage

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Stage control (On-stage)

Votes: 8 88.9%

• Total voters

firedude953

Smash Apprentice
NNID
firedude953
Whenever I jump off the stage to try to get a KO, I either end up just going back onto the stage but with worse stage control, or I end up dying. Edgeguarding from on-stage works well for me, but it doesn't KO. How can I actually get kills by edgeguarding?

Possom

Smash Cadet
Whenever I jump off the stage to try to get a KO, I either end up just going back onto the stage but with worse stage control, or I end up dying. Edgeguarding from on-stage works well for me, but it doesn't KO. How can I actually get kills by edgeguarding?
It would be useful to know what character you are edgeguarding. You probably aren't going to kill Bayo from on or off stage, but you'll have more success against Little Mac.

firedude953

Smash Apprentice
NNID
firedude953
It would be useful to know what character you are edgeguarding. You probably aren't going to kill Bayo from on or off stage, but you'll have more success against Little Mac.
I pretty much have trouble against every character.

Big Sean

Smash Journeyman
A few common ways to get kills via edguard

onstage:
- 2 frame recoveries with downward tilted ftilt/dtilt
- dsmash near the edge. It covers literally every option. after like 160 it's almost guaranteed since ledge invincibility is limited.
- pivot grab. There are two locations you can do it. Just outside of jab/grab range if the person is immediately getting up/jumping. The second place is past roll range.
- ledge trump -> bair. Kills at 60
- Bowser bomb the ledge. This can kill a number of ways. You can 2 frame. You can stage spike. you can ledge trump. it's fairly safe too.
- Bowser bomb in front of the ledge. If people like to get up and press buttons, this is a perfect option. Beats jab/grab/shield/spot dodge. Can also beat jump -> air dodge but you need to do a full hop one and time/space it well.
- Firebreath. Works best against CF/Ganon. 2 ways to kill with this. 1) Hold Firbreath and attempt to dtilt if they up + b too high. 2) Lovetap their recovery. You really just want to tap it and pray to get this type of gimp. I would recommend short hop firebreathing with a downward angle.
- Fortress the ledge. Fortress hits every option and it kills at ~180 so it's a nice way to get a near guaranteed kill at super high percents. It can also be useful as a low % gimp too. If you have a read that you're opponent likes to ledge jump, you can fortress all the way at the end of the stage. This eats their double jump and puts them in TONS of hitstun. I once killed a ZSS both stocks at near 0% using this gimp.
- short hop dair. Mostly for people who like to ledge jump. Very situational.
- Full hop bair. Covers most jump options. You can even delay it to catch jump -> air dodge.

offstage:
- run off fair. Used sparingly it can really catch people off guard. Bowser is fast and the hitbox is gigantic
- run off bair. The idea behind this is that if a person is trained to air dodge the fair, then you jump slightly past their air dodge and get the bair instead.
- run off uair. Useful for people who like to throw out moves offstage. Like DDD, toon link, mario
- dair. Probably don't do this.

DrButteFatman

Smash Rookie
NNID
DankMemester420
Sorry if I'm a little late!

I think Bowser Bomb to the ledge is an incredible option. It's amazing at dealing with characters who can't sweetspot the ledge, such as :4cloud:,:4shulk:, and :4littlemac:. It also punishes holding on to the ledge for too long, or a poorly timed jump from the ledge. If you get the trump, go for a back-air (or a down-air for style points.)

Also, something people don't know about :4bowser: is that his neutral ledge get-up has a lot of invincibility frames. Along with :4rob:, it has 54, the most of any character spare the Miis and :4palutena:. This means that you can Bowser Bomb the ledge, and just calmly get up from the ledge if it fails.

I personally think that Bowser Bomb to the ledge is an underrated option. It's great for keeping your opponent on their toes, and just scaring the crap outta them. Obviously, as with anything in Smash, don't get too comfortable and don't spam it. It IS punishable, if your opponent sees it coming.

EDIT: Almost forgot to mention, great an option as it may be, don't try it against :4greninja:. Trust me, I learned the hard way.

Last edited:
Top Bottom