• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to recover after using guns

Xsesyrian

Smash Rookie
INTRODUCTION:
Have you ever done a Rainstorm or Gun-wheel offstage and you realize that you can't recover no matter how many times you pressed Up B? The reason for that is the buffering mechanic in Ultimate. If you don't know what buffering is, please watch these two videos. It's pretty helpful.

Hold Buffering

Overcoming The Buffer System

WHAT YOUR DOING WRONG:

If you cant prevent this, you are doing these two things.
1) Mashing the B Button
2) Hold Buffering Up B after Rainstorm/Gunwheel Startup

When mashing the B Button (Up B, Side B, Down B, Neutral B) while in Rainstorm/Gunwheel, you'll still be in Rainstorm/Gunwheel state. Making you fall into the blastzone

When Hold Buffering after the Rainstorm/Gunwheel startup, the game thinks that your still in the Rainstorm/Gunwheel state due to the buffer system.

HOW TO PREVENT THIS (WITH RAINSTORM):
To prevent this, do one of the following

-Before Rainstorm Startup, let go of the B Button for a few frames, then press Up B after the few frames.
PRACTICE VARIATIONS: Rainstorm Startup, let go of the B Button, (mash jump, attack, dodge). This will prepare you for the Up B timing.

-Hold Buffer Rainstorm (hold B), before the Rainstorm let go of B immediately and Hold Buffer Up B

HOW TO PREVENT THIS (WITH GUNWHEEL):
-Before Gunwheel Startup, let go of the B Button for a few frames, then press Up B after the few frames.

-Hold Buffer Gunwheel (hold B), before the Gunwheel let go of B immediately and Hold Buffer Up B

HOW TO PREVENT THIS (WITH AERIAL GUN DODGE):
-Before the Aerial Gun Dodge, let go of the B Button for a few frames, then press Up B after the few frames.

WHAT'S BETTER?:
The variation without hold buffer cancel is quicker while hold buffering is slower.

That's all from me. I tested this out at the beginning of Joker's release.

Last edited:

KenanTheFab

Smash Rookie
Generally I try to not go offstage with any of the gun moves unless I have a jump. The jump usually cancels it immediantly and you can go for an up-b recovery asap.

haxfactory

Always in the lab
NNID
thehaxfactory
3DS FC
1779-3108-5319
Switch FC
SW-1200-3583-4733
Yeah, I mostly just figure people should only push the button if they intend for each of their inputs to come out.

I get that mashing **** out is common, but with the guns, it's a lot like dancing blade off stage, you have to leave the state before you can recover.

So only push B as many times as you want it to come out.

Also with rainstorm each b press is 3 bullets. So if you tap it 3 times, you're just dead. 9 bullet rainstorms will kill you.

I'd honestly say the key is, don't buffer anything, and keep your inputs clean.

Top Bottom