• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to record videos fast and cheap

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Which VirtualDub are you running, 32-bit or 64-bit? When you got K-Lite Codec pack, did you make sure to install all the encoders, or did you just get the decoders?

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
Which VirtualDub are you running, 32-bit or 64-bit? When you got K-Lite Codec pack, did you make sure to install all the encoders, or did you just get the decoders?
It's all good, it works fine. Apparently though the EasyCap in the link you provided isn't actually compatible with VirtualDub.

Aside from the ones you provided, have you heard of any cheap capture cards that work (cheap as in sub $20?) that are compatible with VirtualDub? I don't want to make the same mistake of ordering the wrong item again.

Also, are component cables compatible with capture cards with female composites?

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
No, you need component inputs for component cables.
I don't really care too much about quality, so will component cables not work at all with composite cables? And if so, do you know where I can get a capture card with component inputs?

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Nothing cheap, other than the DBTech one that's currently sold out, unfortunately.

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
Nothing cheap, other than the DBTech one that's currently sold out, unfortunately.
Okay, I've got everything working except the LameACM codec. Is it compatible with Windows 8? I've tried to right-click > install the .inf file multiple times but it still doesn't show up in VirtualDub.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I unfortunately don't have any experience with Windows 8.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
As far as LAME goes, I've never had success installing it for 64-bit, for whatever reason, so I've ended up using the 32-bit VirtualDub instead. The K-Lite Codec Pack does have its own ACM codec that works about as well as LAME and is 64-bit, though, if you're insistent on sticking with 64-bit VDub.

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
As far as LAME goes, I've never had success installing it for 64-bit, for whatever reason, so I've ended up using the 32-bit VirtualDub instead. The K-Lite Codec Pack does have its own ACM codec that works about as well as LAME and is 64-bit, though, if you're insistent on sticking with 64-bit VDub.
Oh okay. What settings would you configure it then?

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I might as well just re-write this guide since I'm practically one step short of walking you through the entire process.

TheRogueTwinkie

Smash Rookie
Okay so I want to get the Diamond VC500 capture card and I'm worried about what else I need.
So you're saying I have to buy three of these in order to split all three RCA signals?
I'm sorry if I'm completely oblivious I just don't want to buy something and have it end up not being what I needed.

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
Can't I just connect my laptop to my TV via HDMI cable and record using Fraps? Or do I have to buy a legitimate game recorder such as Avermedia?

Shadow the Past

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3711-8167-5215
Can't I just connect my laptop to my TV via HDMI cable and record using Fraps? Or do I have to buy a legitimate game recorder such as Avermedia?
(Late reply, but whatever)

Connecting your laptop to your TV turns the TV into a second monitor. However, the TV handles each input individually, meaning you cannot have both HDMI and component cable input be on-screen at the same time. If you go to HDMI input, you will see your computer desktop (since it's being treated as a second screen). If you go to AV input, you'll see the game.

Basically, doing this causes no communication between the Wii and the computer, so you can't record anything.

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
(Late reply, but whatever)

Connecting your laptop to your TV turns the TV into a second monitor. However, the TV handles each input individually, meaning you cannot have both HDMI and component cable input be on-screen at the same time. If you go to HDMI input, you will see your computer desktop (since it's being treated as a second screen). If you go to AV input, you'll see the game.

Basically, doing this causes no communication between the Wii and the computer, so you can't record anything.
I'd like to record my games using Avermedia recorder but it doesn't have an AV input. Will it work if I buy an AV-to-HDMI converter and connect the avermedia to my wii? What is the best way to record brawl games directly from your tv?

DrizzyDrew

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3772-7996-8482
just get an elgato game capture hd. It does everything for you..audio recording and good quality recordings. its great. its about 150 on amazon so if you got the money do it!

chrisall76

Smash Apprentice
NNID
chrisall76
3DS FC
2921-9185-8763
I'd like to record my games using Avermedia recorder but it doesn't have an AV input. Will it work if I buy an AV-to-HDMI converter and connect the avermedia to my wii? What is the best way to record brawl games directly from your tv?
I just tried to use it, sadly yes. But what you'll need is a composite to HDMI converter. I highly recommend the live gamer portable though, as it's done me pretty well.

Top Bottom