• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to quit Smash

Honna

Smash Rookie
Hey, I know these threads are very common around here, but I think I have a different situation to many people and would like to hear what people have to say. I want to quit Smash, I more often get frustrated while playing than not and I use it to procrastinate more important things almost every day. I'm not bad at the game (Often top 8 at monthlies in my region and am ranked in the top 15), but I wanna quit to focus on myself personally and live a more productive and calmer life.

I don't feel like I'd have a problem with quitting if this was another game, but Smash has been a part of my life for pretty much half of my life. I played Brawl casually and started playing competitively during the last year of Smash 4, but followed tournament results before that. During this time, I've built a very strong connection with Smash and its scene. I've been homeschooled my entire life and I don't think I've had much of a chance to make friends, but I can socialize at a tournament or even Discord. With the loss of this important part of my life, I'm concerned that I simply won't socialize outside of my family. Along with the bonds I've made during this time, I associate many things with specific people or things in Smash now. For example, if someone talks about a Nintendo game I will start thinking about Smash and will probably relapse, even though I won't enjoy playing.

Has anyone else had or know someone who has had a problem similar to mine? I felt like getting this off my chest, even if it's to random Smash players on a website I don't really use.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
Just delete your save data and sell your game, or at least give it to someone else to hold onto until you possibly want to try again in the future. I'm sure if you've made friends at your local tournament circuit they wouldn't stop being friends with you because you're not playing. You'd just have to find what else you have in common and talk about that.

AC!D!C

Smash Rookie
Just go outside. Make some friends at a convention or something. Get a job and socialize with your coworkers.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Give your copy of the game to someone you fully trust (a family member would very likely be your best choice) until you may feel ready to play it again in the future, after you've had some time to find yourself and have made some friends and progress in other areas of your life.

Should be simple as that, honestly. I know where you're coming from (although my situation has never concerned playing too much Smash) so I understand the desire and to take a serious break so you can focus on other aspects of your life. I can't speak for you, but based on my own experiences, there's a good chance you'll want to return to the Smash scene later on in your life, at least, some time after you've gotten other aspects of your life together.

Silask20

Smash Apprentice
At least u can admit when u need a break. Some of these people lining up 7 true combos in a row and predicting your every move smh need some sunlight

Predatoria

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5219-6817-7975
I used to play a whole lot of World of Warcraft. I'd play that game so much that my hands hurt from it. I can relate to this situation.

It's not easy to simply part ways with something that becomes a major part of who you are. For me, I had so many friends on WoW. My entire family played the game. It was all we'd talk about sometimes at gatherings. My entire day and schedule was structured around playing a ton of WoW, and if I didn't play, all I could think about was wanting to play.

You need to find a different thing to fill the void left behind by Smash, or else you won't be able to move on from it and you'll keep wanting to play it.

For me, what finally got me off World of Warcraft was finding an interest in indie game development. I now spend so much of my time learning how to make video games and working on my own that I no longer have the time, nor the desire, to squander my time playing WoW.

Are there any other things you may want to start putting time and interest into? If you start that, you may find your interest pulling away from Smash and you'll find it harder and harder to care how good you are, care about practicing, care about weeklies, or care about your tournament results. Eventually, you'll care so little about playing Smash you won't want to bother any longer, and then you can finally move on.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
How to quit Smash:

Realize that you only play for the characters which you can enjoy without paying $60 for a game you're only going to play a few times.

That's how I did it.

Silask20

Smash Apprentice
I used to play a whole lot of World of Warcraft. I'd play that game so much that my hands hurt from it. I can relate to this situation.

It's not easy to simply part ways with something that becomes a major part of who you are. For me, I had so many friends on WoW. My entire family played the game. It was all we'd talk about sometimes at gatherings. My entire day and schedule was structured around playing a ton of WoW, and if I didn't play, all I could think about was wanting to play.

You need to find a different thing to fill the void left behind by Smash, or else you won't be able to move on from it and you'll keep wanting to play it.

For me, what finally got me off World of Warcraft was finding an interest in indie game development. I now spend so much of my time learning how to make video games and working on my own that I no longer have the time, nor the desire, to squander my time playing WoW.

Are there any other things you may want to start putting time and interest into? If you start that, you may find your interest pulling away from Smash and you'll find it harder and harder to care how good you are, care about practicing, care about weeklies, or care about your tournament results. Eventually, you'll care so little about playing Smash you won't want to bother any longer, and then you can finally move on.
Extremely accurate, i use to be addicted to WoW and would play upwards of 16 hours a day. It was ridiculous i had no life outside of it and it left me without social skills.

It was so hard for me to get a job because i was quiet and reclusive. Id sweat in job interviews and have to practice making small talk before i even saw them only to trip and stumble on my words. I thought id never be able to love on my own. Was 18 at this time played wow for 6 years everyday.

Honestly best thing to do is cut it cold turkey, it wasnt easy. But eventually i moved in with a boyfriend, i failed over and over again to get my first job. Until someone finally gave me a chance.

Getting my first job boosted confidence, i formed friendships and it took a while but my social skills got better. This day 6 years later, i perform on stage infront of hundreds of people. Over a thousand weekly and quitting WoW was the best decision of my life.

Now i dont touch WoW. Its tempting but i dont. I play smash casually its not addictive to me personally. I try to fill my day with exercise, reading, proper dieting and friends. Its hard only at first but it can be done!!

Top Bottom