• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to punish out of shield?

Artmastercorey

Smash Journeyman
One of the things I have trouble with using YL is punishing someone out of shield. If someone fast like roy for example, hits my shield from the air and I try to shield grab, he has more than enough time to roll before I can grab him. Though if the roles are reverse I find I get shield grabbed easily. Its a bit frustrating and Im not sure what to do exactly when I get punished for someone else making a mistake. Any advice?

Last edited:

Tri Knight

Smash Ace
Well being a tether grab, it's much slower than the average fighter. It's a good OoS option when an opponent uses a slow smash attack, or whiffs your shield just out of their range. It's also good for tech chaces and of course recovery so it's not all bad.

His jab starts at frame 6 which is good for a disjoint. You can get out of shield and jump -> retreating aerial (Young Link's N-air is REALLY fast). Up-B is a great option OoS when they do something unsafe or end up aerialing behind you.

Idk Roy all that well yet but I can imagine him being tough to punish on shield hits for anyone because he's very fast and I'm sure his landing lag is godlike.

Artmastercorey

Smash Journeyman
Well being a tether grab, it's much slower than the average fighter. It's a good OoS option when an opponent uses a slow smash attack, or whiffs your shield just out of their range. It's also good for tech chaces and of course recovery so it's not all bad.

His jab starts at frame 6 which is good for a disjoint. You can get out of shield and jump -> retreating aerial (Young Link's N-air is REALLY fast). Up-B is a great option OoS when they do something unsafe or end up aerialing behind you.

Idk Roy all that well yet but I can imagine him being tough to punish on shield hits for anyone because he's very fast and I'm sure his landing lag is godlike.
Thank you for the reply. So nair is Yl's only real option outside a jab (which might work actually)? It feels strange to me how now it seems punishing someone's attacks is only one sided for some characters. Feels unbalanced in that regard but I'll try doing more nairs and jabs instead of the classic grab scenario im used to when someone hits my shield from the air.

Last edited:

LukeStormwalker

Smash Rookie
One thing that you can do is up b OoS. It's a neat option select, because when you press up b while holding shield it doesn't do anything, unless your shield gets hit. So if they commit onto your shield or try a block string that you think you can break, up b is pretty good and easy to do. Plus it can combo into up air if you're fast enough and that can even kill at higher percents.

Artmastercorey

Smash Journeyman
One thing that you can do is up b OoS. It's a neat option select, because when you press up b while holding shield it doesn't do anything, unless your shield gets hit. So if they commit onto your shield or try a block string that you think you can break, up b is pretty good and easy to do. Plus it can combo into up air if you're fast enough and that can even kill at higher percents.
Nice, thank you very much Luke Ill try to add that to my game

Top Bottom