• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to punish Marth aerial wall/approach?

Xenoraven

Smash Rookie
Falco noob here. I'm having a lot of trouble against Marths. Whenever they fair or nair towards me, I always find myself at a disadvantage. If I laser or throw out my own aerial, they usually stuff me. If I shield, they land at range and grab/dtilt stab me. If I try going to platforms above him, he will just utilt/uair me freely, as Marths do. If I retreat, they just repeat the process until I'm cornered and then dthrow me to gimpsville.
However, I notice that good Marths tend not to spam fair/nair, which suggests to me that there is a counterattack that I am too nooby to figure out. My ground movement is sluggish, I don't wavedash enough, and I greatly underuse nair.
What are some good ways to counter these types of Marths, and what does it seem like I'm lacking? Level up my movement? Wavedash OoS to shine/grab? Space my lasers better? Any help would be great.

Last edited:

1000g2g3g4g800999

Smash Journeyman
Move into a more comfortable position. If you can get in closer to Marth's zone in shield, you can nair oos vs early aerials, grab if he is close and not drifting out, shine, etc. You can just not get in range of the aerials as well, and try to time an approach so you'd get in his zone when hitboxes can't threaten you, but Marth might waveland away. You could try to use tilts, but Marth can cut those.

You can bair and at least trade with approaching aerials from Marth a good amount of the time, dash dance and if not get a punish outright, have enough frame advantage to convert into pressure. If you dash back because they're jumping from far or trying to space, you can laser for free. If they aren't enabling this, and are going more in with their aerials, see the OoS section.

Basically the answer is to just space better, and be able to execute your options quickly.

Also, if you find yourself trying to jump for a defensive option in any situation and get hit, that's a good sign you're better off shielding or moving back.

You have to be very aware of how quickly your own options come out for, the range of attacks and how they extend hurtboxes, and how your opponent is moving and is positioned.

SSS

Smash Ace
Marth's hitboxes are not out for very long. If you know they're going to aerial, you can dash back and then dash back in and punish. Play around with laser dash back. If they try to punish you thinking you're going to laser again, your dash back will leave them attacking empty space and then you can punish it. You can also roll through Marth (surprisingly hard for him to get around), you can spotdodge a lot of what Marth can do (including aerials, a lot of them are only out for like 2 frames), and you can CC all of his aerials to pretty high percents. If you feel like people are outside your punish range when you shield something, practice wavedashing forward out of shield. You can also do very deep forward momentum dair against a lot of stuff.

Xenoraven

Smash Rookie
Thanks everyone! Laser to dash/wavedash back has improved my spacing a lot and seems to frustrate Marths who expect me to rush in after one or two lasers. I'm also faster with sheild-->nair/bairing them out of aerials. This has helped me a lot in many matchups, not just Marth.

SSG SAX GAMER

Smash Apprentice
Marth's hitboxes are not out for very long.
Yes, +1 for that. Marth lacks lingering hitboxes.

Also look at how marth reacts to your approaches. Some will shield and try to shield grab you or something, and other will try to beat you out. If your having a problem where you are always getting beat in aerials, try changing the timing of it and not just throwing it out as soon as you jump

Maza Nomains

Smash Rookie
I generally play really defensively against Marth in neutral. You can't get stuffed if you don't approach, he has no real way to counter good laser camping, and Marth's attacks on-shield are hilariously bad against Falco. Badly spaced aerial? Shine oos. Well spaced aerial? WD back - dashback/jump and reset neutral, laser oos, or you can even catch them with Dair oos sometimes. Just don't get grabbed out of that shield of yours, obviously.

Top Bottom