• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Advice How To Practice Offline?

Nubby

Smash Cadet
How should I be practicing offline when I don't have a local tourney that day or have any friends to play with locally?

GhostM

Phantom
For offline, I would say to practice against a CPU in training mode. It really depends on what level you want them to be set at, but I would advise not to set them to level 9, since they have inhuman reactions. Training mode allows you to tick on the option to see DI trajectory and the option to advance the game frame by frame, which is useful. Here you would practice your combo game and test follow up options that will lead to true combos, all while practicing how to react to certain DI inputs by the CPU.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Level 9 CPUs in regular battles can be good, but you gotta figure out (through playing them) what specific characters are good for you and your character to face a challenge, while also continually "adapting" to maintain the challenge - if something is always working against the CPU, then you should look for an alternative path of victory.

Oz o:

Smash Journeyman
Is there any chance lvl. 9 CPUs can help you practice frame traps? I remember in Smash 4 I'd be taking advantage of said "inhuman reactions" to actually force them to airdodge and punish their lag afterwards. Wouldn't that be the case? Or have things changed since Smash 4?

I'd personally use CPUs as a stepping stone from a stationary CPU in Training Mode. Having a moving opponent changes things, even if it doesn't seem like much.

Top Bottom