• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to Practice in the Lab

Ezlo

Smash Cadet
So I live in Kuwait, meaning that there's virtually no Project M scene here (it's all smash 4 -- the community here literally rose with that game, so that makes sense). Because of that, I end up practicing a lot on my own, and I probably do so sub-optimally. Does anyone have any advice on how I should practice?

More specifically, what kinds of things should I practice, and how? Should I practice tech, different mixups, fundamentals, or just moving around really well? Against computers, or in training mode? etc.

And yes, I know I was the last person to post. I have no shame.

Last edited:

Denjinpachi

Smash Journeyman
So I live in Kuwait, meaning that there's virtually no Project M scene here (it's all smash 4 -- the community here literally rose with that game, so that makes sense). Because of that, I end up practicing a lot on my own, and I probably do so sub-optimally. Does anyone have any advice on how I should practice?

More specifically, what kinds of things should I practice, and how? Should I practice tech, different mixups, fundamentals, or just moving around really well? Against computers, or in training mode? etc.

And yes, I know I was the last person to post. I have no shame.
Sorry no one replied sir, lol. But in general, you are gonna want to practice your movement. Crispy move dashing, moonwalking, and dash dancing. Practice your familiarity with all and every one of your hitboxes. Get familiar with the trajectory, and angle of all of your projectiles too. These sound like really vague and basic things to practice because they are. These are the most fundamental things you will benefit from the most once you move into learning specific combos, follow ups, and pokes that work best in specific match ups your character may lose.

So, you may as well hold the advantage in your technical capabilities. You can pull a lot of work out by grinding in the lab, but you can also start to pull back negative results if you only fight CPU's because you'll become way too familiar with how they fight, and how to punish them. Then when you play real people, you'll fall to pieces because they'll do something you haven't seen.

If anything, don't shoot down an opportunity to try to learn somethings from better players in smash 4. Don't try to cut and paste every bit of advice and tech that TL has in that game, but basic fundamentals like spacing, knowing when to block/grab/roll will help you in smash brothers in general. And since that game has less movement options, its a lot more rock paper scissors which will help your decision making in PM too. Trust me, im not boasting about S4 by any means, but each game can have traits that will benefit you in the other.

Top Bottom