• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to play against Pikachu as Falco

AntiJIgglypuff

Smash Rookie
Hey guys. I have a couple of questions regarding the Falco/Pikachu matchup. I have no idea how to escape Pikachu's dsmash and don't have a firm grasp on how I should be playing against Pikachu in general. I've also been gimped too many times by Pikachu when Pika throws me off stage at a low percent and then kills me with an uair/dair/nair/anything that prevents Falco from getting back to the ledge. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

proxibomb

Smash Clown
When getting around the stage, you should be throwing out some serious lasers that force Pikachu to move away or above you. If Pikachu gets too close to you, you can try shining or starting a pillar when you get the opportunity. The gimping off of stage is partly because Pikachu has really good edge-guarding options, so you just wanna stay away from getting off stage as much as possible. This is especially apparent since Pikachu has so many good options with keeping you off stage (f-tilt, u-air into u-air or n-air, d-air).
The best thing Falco can do is be either super campy with lasers and wait for Pikachu, or be aggressive as hell. All your hard work will come from being on neutral stage, as you don't want Pikachu to push you off and edge-guard you. Never give Pikachu the chance to get close to use and down-smash. If you do get down-smashed, it should be pretty easy to SDI out of it. You don't want to crouch-cancel it, obviously, as Pikachu will get more percents from you.
The reason why I say to use lasers, is because they limit Pikachu's already small range, forcing him to jump on you. Pikachu can become a literal canvas from here, so try you best to come up with something to punish Pikachu for coming towards you. You'll most likely have to learn to read well, since spotdodging nairs or incoming uairs can be super useful. Hope that helps.

AntiJIgglypuff

Smash Rookie
When getting around the stage, you should be throwing out some serious lasers that force Pikachu to move away or above you. If Pikachu gets too close to you, you can try shining or starting a pillar when you get the opportunity. The gimping off of stage is partly because Pikachu has really good edge-guarding options, so you just wanna stay away from getting off stage as much as possible. This is especially apparent since Pikachu has so many good options with keeping you off stage (f-tilt, u-air into u-air or n-air, d-air).
The best thing Falco can do is be either super campy with lasers and wait for Pikachu, or be aggressive as hell. All your hard work will come from being on neutral stage, as you don't want Pikachu to push you off and edge-guard you. Never give Pikachu the chance to get close to use and down-smash. If you do get down-smashed, it should be pretty easy to SDI out of it. You don't want to crouch-cancel it, obviously, as Pikachu will get more percents from you.
The reason why I say to use lasers, is because they limit Pikachu's already small range, forcing him to jump on you. Pikachu can become a literal canvas from here, so try you best to come up with something to punish Pikachu for coming towards you. You'll most likely have to learn to read well, since spotdodging nairs or incoming uairs can be super useful. Hope that helps.
For sure. Thanks for the input. I'll let you know how it goes!

FakeSnakeJake

Smash Rookie
Crouch canceling is extremely important, (especially against n-air approaches). Playing aggressively and putting pressure really does help. Lasers are great too (just as long as the pikachu doesn't powershield) and as for recvering, try to mix up your options. You can cancel your fall momentum with shine and recovering on to platforms with a stage that has them is great because it allows a tech option as well as another mix-up.

RAT!

Smash Rookie
Falco has very limited options recovering if found below stage, and like many other characters do, Pikachu can capitalize on this easily. Many Pikachu players have a very established edge guard against Falco going to the ledge using f-tilt. Try to mix up your up-b and side-b recoveries, and start trying to recover from above stage level if you notice they're reading your sweet spot. It's hard to react to the many ways you can get onto the stage from above, and reading your recovery high is no good if you occasionally side-b right away. And go for edge cancels, those are sick.
This is a weakness I notice in my edge guarding of spacies.

Top Bottom