• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to perform Sheik's Intangible Ledge Re-grab

Raemonded

Smash Rookie
For those of you who are unaware of Sheik's Intangible Ledge Re-grab technique in Smash 4, please refer to this video by Beefy Smash Doods:
https://youtu.be/6KQn8P07dOY (0:27-2:56).

HOW TO PERFORM THE INTANGIBLE RE-GRAB:
  • One method of performing the Re-grab (shown in the above video): drop off the ledge, jump above the stage (not ONTO the stage; ABOVE it), use Up-B, let go of the B button right after Sheik explodes, then aim yourself back to the ledge, letting go of your direction soon before re-appearing, rather than holding your direction until Sheik re-appears.
  • THE NEW METHOD OF PERFORMING THE RE-GRAB (not shown in the above video): Perform a Ledge Jump off of the ledge, then, while staying above the stage, buffer Up-B, let go of the B button right after Sheik explodes, then aim yourself back to the ledge, letting go of your direction soon before re-appearing, rather than holding your direction until Sheik re-appears.
Why you should use this new method of performing the Intangible Re-grab instead of the other method:
  • Noted in the above video at 2:30 is one of the risks of performing the Intangible Re-grab via dropping off the ledge and jumping back above the stage: you could possibly touch the ground while in the process of Vanishing, which will make you unable to grab the ledge.
    • By performing Sheik's Intangible Re-grab using the Ledge Jump method, you eliminate this as a risk, since you are far from the ground, so you're unable to accidentally touch it.
  • There's less risk of messing up this method
  • It's easier to perform
  • It can disrupt your opponents' aerial approaches better
Drawbacks of using this method as opposed to the other method:
  • It can't counteract short characters' grounded approaches (such as Pikachu and Diddy Kong)
Extras of this method:
  • When using Ledge Jump, you're able to move either inwards towards the ledge and higher from the stage, or outwards away the ledge and lower towards the stage. Use the different angles in your Ledge Jump based on your situation.
  • Don't abuse this technique. Because Sheik is still vulnerable in the beginning of the Up-B animation, this technique is still punishable; it just takes good timing from the opponent.

Overall, it's a much better idea to use the Ledge Jump method as a means to re-grab ledges with intangibility, as opposed to the Ledge Dropoff method, because it provides more benefits with less risks.

TL;DR:
To perform Sheik's Intangible Ledge Re-grab: use Ledge Jump, buffer Up-B, let go of the B button right after Sheik explodes, then aim yourself back to the ledge, letting go of your direction soon before re-appearing, rather than holding your direction until Sheik re-appears.

This is also my first time posting, so tell me if I messed something up, either with how I posted, or with the information itself.

Last edited:

Glitchy_

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nintend0pr0
For those of you who are unaware of Sheik's Intangible Ledge Re-grab technique in Smash 4, please refer to this video by Beefy Smash Doods:
https://youtu.be/6KQn8P07dOY (0:27-2:56).

As a note: this technique SHOULD be called INVINCIBLE Ledge Re-grab, not INTANGIBLE Ledge Re-grab, because Sheik and ALL CHARACTERS are invincible when grabbing the ledge, not intangible (there's a difference between the two in the Smash Bros. series. Hitting an invincible opponent will result in both NO hitlag and NO damage against that opponent. Hitting an intangible opponent will result in NO damage, but hitlag will still occur.). For this reason, I'm going to refer to this technique as "Invincible Ledge Re-grab".

HOW TO PERFORM THE INVINCIBLE RE-GRAB:

• One method of performing the Re-grab (shown in the above video): drop off the ledge, jump above the stage (not ONTO the stage; ABOVE it), use Up-B, let go of the B button right after Sheik explodes, then aim yourself back to the ledge, letting go of your direction soon before re-appearing, rather than holding your direction until Sheik re-appears.
  • THE NEW, BETTER METHOD OF PERFORMING THE RE-GRAB (not shown in the above video): Perform a Ledge Jump off of the ledge, then, while staying above the stage, buffer Up-B, let go of the B button right after Sheik explodes, then aim yourself back to the ledge, letting go of your direction soon before re-appearing, rather than holding your direction until Sheik re-appears.
Why you should use this new method of performing the Invincible Re-grab instead of the other method:
  • Noted in the above video at 2:30 is one of the risks of performing the Invincible Re-grab via dropping off the ledge and jumping back above the stage: you could possibly touch the ground while in the process of Vanishing, which will make you unable to grab the ledge.
    • By performing Sheik's Invincible Re-grab using the Ledge Jump method, you eliminate this as a risk, since you are far from the ground, so you're unable to accidentally touch it.
  • There's less risk of messing up this method
  • It's easier to perform
  • It can disrupt your opponents' aerial approaches better
Drawbacks of using this method as opposed to the other method:
  • It can't counteract short characters' grounded approaches (such as Pikachu and Diddy Kong)
Extras of this method:
  • When using Ledge Jump, you're able to move either inwards towards the ledge and higher from the stage, or outwards away the ledge and lower towards the stage. Use the different angles in your Ledge Jump based on your situation.
  • Don't abuse this technique. Because Sheik is still vulnerable in the beginning of the Up-B animation, this technique is still punishable; it just takes good timing from the opponent.

Overall, it's a much better idea to use the Ledge Jump method as a means to re-grab ledges with invincibility, as opposed to the Ledge Dropoff method, because it provides more benefits with less risks.

TL;DR:
To perform Sheik's Invincible Ledge Re-grab: use Ledge Jump, buffer Up-B, let go of the B button right after Sheik explodes, then aim yourself back to the ledge, letting go of your direction soon before re-appearing, rather than holding your direction until Sheik re-appears.

This is also my first time posting, so tell me if I messed something up, either with how I posted, or with the information itself.
Hi, great idea using the ledge jump, I'll try that. 2 little notes:
-The ledgejump method sounds like it would make you go higher... which might make it miss characters that are small/crouch.
- I think you confused invincibility and intangibility

Raemonded

Smash Rookie
- The ledge jump is a little high, but not too high that it misses a bunch of characters. It does miss a couple, like Pikachu and Diddy Kong, in certain situations.
- Do you know the differences between invincibility and intangibility? I might have confused their definitions.

Glitchy_

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nintend0pr0
- The ledge jump is a little high, but not too high that it misses a bunch of characters. It does miss a couple, like Pikachu and Diddy Kong, in certain situations.
- Do you know the differences between invincibility and intangibility? I might have confused their definitions.
1. If you look up intangible in a dictionary you'll see something like "cannot be interacted with / not physically present" while invincible is just "can not be killed"
Additionally, as far as I can remember in the Training modpack blue stands for intangible and stuff like roll/ getup, ect is blue.

Btw, I didn't manage to get the insomething ledge regrab, do you have a video or something where I could see how to perform it correctly?

Raemonded

Smash Rookie
I'll have to search up those definitions, then. Thank you.

And I don't have a video of it, so the only source I know of is the Beefy Smash Doods video at the top of this thread.

Top Bottom