• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to optimize moonwalking?

Pesi

Smash Rookie
NNID
CurseOfThe18th
This is going to sound like a noob complaint, but I have a hard time making falcon's moonwalk effective. I can do it, and it's a good mixup, but I can't seem to make myself go further back than where I started the initial dash. I've seen some videos of westballz going crazy long distances with it and it made me question how far it can actually take you.

How do you maximize moonwalk distance? Is it based on input speed or the shape of the movement? Both? Something else entirely? Super curious about this because I want to start applying to to my game a lot more.

krazyzyko

Smash Champion
Moonwalking is rarely about your footing but the aerial momentum you get facing backwards to grab ledge or land a deep bair.

But to answer your question the quicker you do the motion the further you go.

Last edited:

Haku_

Smash Rookie
Input speed is key, the shape of the movement is used to make the input speed faster. I don't remember the technical data so I won't give you any of that since im not 100% sure (search it up if you want to know more.)

Make sure to dash one direction then moonwalk the opposite to gain max speed and then jump and keep holding the direction you are moonwalking in. The motion of the control stick should be a nike swoosh without going through the middle of the control stick (again hella videos on this).

Example: Dash left -> Dash right -> moonwalk (your back facing left now)-> jump off the left side of the stage with a deep bair
Control stick: flick left -> flick right -> nike swoosh motion till your control stick is now all the way left (not going through middle) -> wait like half a second or so then jump -> back air.

tauKhan

Smash Lord
How do you maximize moonwalk distance? Is it based on input speed or the shape of the movement? Both? Something else entirely? Super curious about this because I want to start applying to to my game a lot more.
The amount of speed you gain from moonwalk depends mostly on your control stick position on each frame, since that's what determines your acceleration. The most important part is probably to move your stick to somewhat backward position ASAP after initiating dash, since on any frame beyond first where you hold forward you'll accelerate in opposite direction of where you want to go.

Optimal method for moonwalking right is something like this: 1. :GCL: (dash input) into 2. :GCDR: (best possible backward acceleration input for frames 2,3 of dash), then roll to 3.:GCR: .

Full half-circle is bad because then you'll end up holding forward for unnecessarily long time. Instead you want to smash your stick directly at the opposite downwards diagonal notch first(or little below it to make sure you don't accidentally dash or turn), then roll to full backward input from there.

Avoiding middle with the stick isn't actually that relevant, what you need to do is to first move your stick backwards but not all the way. Holding the stick a bit backward for 2 frames disables smash input window for turn and makes you unable to dash back anymore. It works the same way like spotdodge with control stick for example: You can't spotdodge if you first hold slightly down for a bit before the full down input. The diagonal corner notches are convenient for moonwalking, since they'll stop your stick at backwards position that gives backward acceleration but barely won't cause you to dash back.

With falcon, your speed before the moonwalk affects the result a bit. You'll get slightly further with moonwalk out of walk or dash. It's also notably easier to move your stick to back quickly when dashing backwards, because when you dash back, you'll actually turn for 1 frame, which kind of removes one frame of acceleration forward.

redcometchar

Smash Journeyman
Technically the optimal method is to dash frame one and then by frame two have your control stick fully angled in the other direction. This works because smash turnaround is disabled for the first 3 frames during your first dash.

Last edited:

tauKhan

Smash Lord
Technically the optimal method is to dash frame one and then by frame two have your control stick fully angled in the other direction. This works because smash turnaround is disabled for the first 3 frames during your first dash.
From standing still yeah, but can't do that out of turn. I believe diagonal moonwalk out of walk/dash yields longer moonwalk than the perfect moonwalk from stand still.

tauKhan

Smash Lord
No, it only works with dash forward. Dash back from walk is turn into dash, and you can do another turn out of that dash immediately.

Mastodon

Smash Apprentice
I think, for me, its important to simply remember that in order to get the best moonwalks I need to have the stick on the opposite side as quickly as possible in order for the directional influence to have the greatest effect, therefore causing the greatest moonwalk distance.

Haku kind of sums it up nicely: input speed is most important (remember the end goal of having the stick all the way in the opposite direction), input shape will help you acquire that. Even if your input shape is optimal, it doesn't matter if its not fast enough.

Credentials: i have sick moonwalks.

Last edited:

The Shadow

Smash Apprentice
Dash-Dance moonwalk is the best method for the maximum distance.

If you try to do it from a stand you're at the mercy of inertia.

Optimally moving the control stick one frame forward to back makes a TAS moonwalk or a pretty excellent standing moonwalk. And ATM it's hasnt been done by human hands.

Charlie-Walking helps too, and that's with all the cast whose running speed is relevant. It turns you around at double the speed for the edge-guard.

tauKhan

Smash Lord
Dash-Dance moonwalk is the best method for the maximum distance.
Walk -> moonwalk gives more initial speed and thus length.

Optimally moving the control stick one frame forward to back makes a TAS moonwalk or a pretty excellent standing moonwalk. And ATM it's hasnt been done by human hands.
I can do that, but less than 70% consistently. The biggest problem with that method is it only works from dash forward, and it's not even noticeably better than good dash -> opposite diagonal -> full side method.

The Shadow

Smash Apprentice
Try this, go to Training mode and set the speed to 1/4 and go forward to back in a dash dance motion ASAP.

Or, do a debug match and in the first frame click forward and second frame click back.

EDIT: Now, try and do that in normal speed.

Last edited:

The Shadow

Smash Apprentice
I'm not sure if I'm misunderstanding you, but a perfect moonwalk is a dash dance in one frame.

You can do that?!

tauKhan

Smash Lord
Yeah, around 70% of time, it's not impossible. The key to the technique is to make as slight dash input as possible, so that you start moving stick backward asap. It's very limited though since you can only do it from forward dash anyway, and walk -> diagonal down moonwalk gives better distance and is much easier.

Also, you'll still moonwalk with frame 1 dash -> frame 3 stick back input. Not that hard tbh. Not frame perfect one will be shorter though.

My current controller has the beneficial malfunction for back dashes though, I can dash back around 95% of time with normal inputs, so that might influence it. I don't know if it does.

Last edited:

Klemes

Smash Journeyman
We need a "Melee mechanics by Kadano" type of video on this topic to educate the masses. Nothing has ever been so necessary.

Top Bottom