• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to not get edge guarded

Muggy_ssb

Smash Rookie
Last Sunday I went to a tournament and was doing good for two rounds till I went up against a ridley and got demolished by his edge guards is there a way not to get demolished by these nasty fireballs lmao I just want info from any ridley mains or any one lmao

Firox

Smash Master
Wait, so are you a Ridley playing AGAINST Ridley or are you just asking how to not get gimped by plasma breath? If you're asking for the latter, that depends greatly on who you're maining.

Muggy_ssb

Smash Rookie
Wait, so are you a Ridley playing AGAINST Ridley or are you just asking how to not get gimped by plasma breath? If you're asking for the latter, that depends greatly on who you're maining.
No im not a ridley main im just asking how to not to get gimped

Firox

Smash Master
Well, judging by the characters under your name, I'll assume you play Cloud? Unfortunately, you're kinda SOL if that's the case. As someone who plays a lot of Ridley, my two favorite characters to gimp in the entire game happen to be Cloud and Chrom due to their terrible recoveries. My only advice would be to keep your limit gage as close to full as possible at all times. That way, if you get knocked off stage, it should top off your gage and let you limit climhazard up from under the stream of fire balls. As a general trick, use the "brawl" airdodge (without directional input) to pass through the stream and reduce the lag you would suffer afterward. The ideal scenario would be: You jump back toward the stage, Ridley shoots the fire balls, using the momentum of your jump, you airdodge through the stream to reach below the ledge, then up B to safety. This can apply to most characters with limited recovery. If you happen to play someone with amazing recovery (like Greninja or Pikachu) then simply launch yourself over Ridley's head while he's puking fire balls. That's one reason why I love Greninja: his recovery options are insane. He can shadow sneak through the fire balls to kick Ridley in the face (or reverse edge guard him from behind), hydro pump over him, or even use Substitute to simply take the shots and then teleport up high.

Gleam

Smash Ace
One simply doesn't get edgeguarded by Ridley and those with weak recoveries and/or poor aerials are specifically at risk. Fireballs come at an angle so try approaching from the air if you can. It's good to try DI-ing upwards because not only do you have a better chance at getting back but Ridley does well near the middle to bottom of the stage edge. Many characters can't contend with his advantageous state and Ridley has the mobility, power, priority, Aerial and recovery to risk throwing himself into the danger zone.

Top Bottom