• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to narrow down to a main

Olympian

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, I recently bought smash bros and after playing for a week or so I've narrowed down from 26 to 6 characters I could see myself maining/co-maining. The problem is that 6 is still way too many for someone of my skill level. I really need to focus on one or maybe two max but I cant see myself not playing any of these characters. Does anyons have any advice on how to get down to 2?

Edit: since people have said its helpful, the 6 im deciding between are Ryu, Cloud, Zss, Ike, Samus, and Captain Falcon

Last edited:

MarioManTAW

Smash Ace
Your question is a bit generic, it might help if you said which characters you're considering. Just in general, I'd say consider 3 things:
1. How much do you enjoy playing them?
2. How good are the characters? (May not matter if you're not competitive or don't care)
3. How well do you play them?

KirbCider

Smash Ace
To be honest, it'd help to know which six you've decided to narrow it down to. Otherwise all I can give is general advice.

In any case, it's important to keep in mind some characters are going to be more difficult to learn than others and you have to put into consideration whether or not you're willing to sink a lot of effort into them. You also have to think about your own playstyle.

Do you like being patient and rely on baiting your opponent?
Do you prefer speed and mobility over slow heavy weights?
Would you rather zone someone with projectiles or get more involved?

Each character comes with perks and flaws and a few may require certain knowledge and skills in order to use them better. In the end however, all that matters is who feels right to you and what you like to do when it comes down to playing a match with someone. Heck sometimes you may even surprise yourself with a character you may of thought you originally didn't like at all!

If anything, one character you mained can always become a pocket character later down the road.

Lola Luftnagle

Banned via Warnings
Capital! Now that y'all narrowed it down, ask yourself what play style y'all prefer? Personally, I'm more of a player who delectates in zoning out opponents. Now, master :4cloud: and miss :4samus: are good examples of this. But you might operate differently. Maybe y'all like taking it up close, the ability to do everything, et cetera. Or do y'all just enjoy playing as them in general? I say, experiment with them more and see what floats your boat... :)

Skwrl

Smash Cadet
Keep playing with the six you mentioned and eliminate down from that. Just don't be one of those people that has like 4 "mains".

JagerCrush

Smash Cadet
The best advice is going to be the obvious simple answer of continue to play those 6 characters. You will start to see how well you do with a character on a certain stage or certain match-up. It's the best way to find out which character you are better with, which one you enjoy playing the most. I'm not sure what exactly you are looking for in a character but of the 6 you mentioned Samus and Ike are a bit worse than the other 4. Ryu is comparitively complicated and I would also say ZSS isn't the easiest to play either.
But it depends on a lot of factors like your play style, edge guarding skill, recovery ability, and most importantly what you have fun with.

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace
All of these people's examples are good examples of how to pick a main. Whenever I do talk to someone on what character they want to play as, I always ask them a simple question first: What class? Fighing, Shooting, or Sword fighting? (like the mii fighters, but it's not the miis) for example, if the response is swordfighter, look into characters like Link, Shulk, Pit, Marth, etcetera. that can help center what kind of fighting class you know you're looking for. if you like (or don't like) the choice, then keep looking to the quetion, but take out your answer in the question and start over. It worked for me at first and I arrived to shulk. If you have found more than one characters you like, keep playing them and then compare who you will like to play as more. If you still like the characters you play as, then start the main and secondaries role. hope all of our tips help!

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
Frfr you can narrow it down super easily by just choosing which feels the best (and\or who looks the best) and playing against lvl 3 (bolded and underline for emphasis) CPUs for an extended period of time.

Top Bottom