• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to move fluidly?

tofuboi

Smash Rookie
Hey, I’m a starting marth main, Ive been playing for about 3 months. I know all of the different movement techniques and such, but I curious as to how to link them together well. Whenever I play I look and feel stiff. Any tips?

Pauer

The Pauerful
One area that you can definitely work on will be your wavedashes and wavelands.
Regarding wavedashes, try to simply wavedash in a direction and then dash right after the wavedash ends. Imo, it helps to reset the stick after doing the wavedash.
You will notice that it's not easy to time the dash exactly when the wavedash ends. That's because first of all you need to be consistent in your wavedash timing (how close to the ground you are when you start the airdodge), and then you need to be fully aware of exactly how long your wavedash lasts. So try and practice that, internalize all those little timings and you will soon be able to move out of a wavedash more elegantly.
The same principles apply for practicing wavelands.
Those two things helped me a lot.

Cressel

Smash Rookie
Marth's biggest movement tool is his great dash dance game imo, so you should try to get used to dash dancing in different lengths, moving back and forth while doing it and just applying different rhythms of dash dance. You don't really need much more than learning to space yourself out of threats and still staying close enough to punish their misses.
Mixing wavedashes and dash dance can create an hypnotic movement so learning to time your dashes and wavedashes like Pauer said is pretty helpful too.

Just practice a lot of the movement options, you'll get used to it.

DonOwens

Smash Cadet
I think consistent wavelanding makes marth look just that, more fluid. As someone who played marth for a while, I can say that for me this was much harder to execute than wavedashing even though the theory is similar. Being able to wavedash and land with actual purpose under pressure rather than just in training or CPUs is not an extremely common trait.

Chiripp

Smash Rookie
I had the same problem when i first picked up marth and what made it look clunky was because my wavedashes weren't done perfecly and the way i solved this was by picking up ice climbers, i know it sounds stupid but i got way more consistent with wavedashing quickly after that and simply got used to marths jumpsquat again.

Im not saying that you should try it, im just explaining what worked for me and im 100% sure there are better ways of getting good at his moement, this was more to explain what the problem might be but if you want to try it aswell then go ahead.

Top Bottom