• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to make Little Mac better?

Birdygamer

Smash Cadet
This recent update of smash ultimate did no favors for little mac, especially involving basic movement penalty, something that Little Mac relies on. So I want to know from the biggest smash community, what would you do to make Little Mac Better so he can get results and people would stop calling him trash? You can't say any reworks, it's only what needs to be given to little mac

TJ919

Smash Journeyman
Try different tactics, I play a pretty defensive Mac and haven't noticed any real loss of success post patch. Everyone does less shield damage now, so I'd go for pokes instead--like down-tilt

TJ919

Smash Journeyman
So more hit-and-run and less rushdown?
Despite his speed, Little Mac is not a rushdown character--not unless, just like Punch-Out!!, you see an opportunity.

I'll dash attack somone over to the edge and up-B for an easy kill, but if they teched and are up on there feet--I shouldn't run over there

Birdygamer

Smash Cadet
Do you think Little Mac has redeeming qualities in the competitive scene? Do you think this defensive Little Mac would help him?

TJ919

Smash Journeyman
Do you think Little Mac has redeeming qualities in the competitive scene? Do you think this defensive Little Mac would help him?
-His down-tilt combo follow ups was messed with a little cause now it hits at an odd angle, but it's still a great shield poke and puts him in a crouch that avoids most attacks
-Little Mac never struggles with a kill unless he is predictable or getting combo-ed
--cause he hits like a truck
-His KO punch is like a final smash

I truly think he is a good competitve option if one puts the time in

TJ919

Smash Journeyman
Wait, are you joking or is this genuine?
I'm a genuine Mac main, I've seen what other Macs can do, I enjoy the play style and the tournament battles are HYPE.

I know he's low-tier but I think Little Mac has set the bar pretty high for Smash Bros. Learn not to get gimped and he's a great character.

Birdygamer

Smash Cadet
Because people like ZeRo and Armada have been calling him trash yet two Smashboards users (the biggest smash bros community) says he has potential. I don't who to believe!!

TJ919

Smash Journeyman
Because people like ZeRo and Armada have been calling him trash yet two Smashboards users (the biggest smash bros community) says he has potential. I don't who to believe!!
I think ZeRo shouldn't speak for all of Smash, yeah he knows what he's talking about and he's good with a lot of characters. But he doesn't play Mac, and I think he's way out of his playstyle. Creates a bit of a bias.

Like I know Fox is a great character but I'm no good with him--I'd be biased if I didn't remind myself hiw well people do with him. I've noticed how no one ever talks about how well Sol, Los, Metalriff, and others do with Mac while they sh*t on him. Haven't really seen that here at SmashBoards :) you like what you like

Yuya-Noboru

Smash Journeyman
You should just grow up to see with your own eyes instead of following blindly others. The tierlist is not a bible so you could win a tournament with a low-tier character. Just chose the characters you like to play with and train until you do the job. That's all simple as that.

TJ919

Smash Journeyman
You should just grow up to see with your own eyes instead of following blindly others. The tierlist is not a bible so you could win a tournament with a low-tier character. Just chose the characters you like to play with and train until you do the job. That's all simple as that.
Exactly, a tier list sometimes goes solely by current use rates. Like a popularity contest

TJ919

Smash Journeyman
Would anyone say he's worse than Brawl Ganondorf or Melee Kirby?
Brawl Ganon still found success with those who chose to use him and trained well. (And I can say from experience Melee Kirby's down-B was the stuff of nightmares on Smash Thursday with the guys)

Yuya-Noboru

Smash Journeyman
Brawl Ganon still found success with those who chose to use him and trained well. (And I can say from experience Melee Kirby's down-B was the stuff of nightmares on Smash Thursday with the guys)
Yeah I was murdering with Brawl Ganondorf. His damage were insane and, even if he was really slow, most of the cast were slower than every other installment. Anyway, since Smash Bros mechanics has evolved a lot since the previous games, I don't think that comparing characters from past versions is something interesting.

Little Mac has his own strengths and weaknesses, you'll need to find & understand them first B Birdygamer . Then, you'll just have to train and that's all.

Last edited:

Kiligar

Smash Journeyman
Little Mac should be able to use side Special after getting hit. That has to be done. Well, patch 3.0.0? Well played, Sakurai, well played. I guess Little Mac is another name for Waluigi.

SecretAsianMan

Smash Apprentice
3 words:
Old. Down. Tilt
Like seriously that would be a godsend if mac gets his old down tilt.

D

Deleted member

Little Mac buffs are held back by his KO meter attack, power needs to be redistributed from that move to the rest of his kit. You can't just give him meaningful buffs without reworking the character in this state.

IMO his recovery and getting gimped by anything off stage is what holds him back the most. If KO meter didn't go up from taking damage they would be able to give him a half decent recovery, but if he had both of those things at once then he could just get hit all day, recover and be rewarded with 40% kill KO attacks. There is no quick fix for Nintendo on this one.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Wes has also found sucess with Mac in Mega Smash Mondays. I believe p1king is also making an impact.

You can't just believe people like Armada and Zero on tier lists. Tiers change over time (and quite drastically + quickly too.). You're not a top professional. Mac's gaining traction and no longer is considered one of the worst. If you rely on tiers too much, then you won't realize the potential for some characters (when people thought Marth/Lucina were among the lower seeds in 4, results proved them wrong).

Top Bottom