• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to Make Dancing Blade Work

LGameTales

Smash Cadet
Here is what we know about Dancing Blade so far. The following applies to both Marth and Lucina unless otherwise specified.

DB3F has the most knockback. Marth can use this at close range to set up for a tipper fourth hit. Otherwise, do not use this.
Do not use it as Marth if you are at far range.
Do not use it as Lucina. DB3D does what you want in almost every scenario.

I repeat: If you are Lucina, your favorite combination should be >>v>. If you are Marth, it's up to you to decide if >>>> or >>v> Is correct based on your spacing.

By the way, since the first two forward slashes keep the opponent grounded, you want to do DB quickly at low percentages so the opponent has no time to shield, but as their percentage increases, DB will give them more hitstun, allowing you to be slower. Mashing B as quickly as possible is still not the way to do this move. That will make slashes fail. Time it with only four B presses. You can be fast, but not as fast as possible.

If you tell me the enemy just fell out of your DB combo, then I would bet it was because of DB3F. At low and mid percentages, this slash can work fine, but it becomes less and less likely to work as either player's percentage rises, especially at far range or against airborne opponents, so it would be favorable for you to get used to >>v> and have it as your default combination. As mentioned, if you're looking for a kill as Marth, you should do >>>> at close or mid range and time the fourth hit to set up for the tipper. This is the most appropriate use of DB3F. Timing the fourth hit usually means being slow to allow the opponent to enter tipper DB4F range, but you will want to be quicker at higher percentages or at mid range. Against big bodies at close range, >>>> still may not tipper because of dumb hurtbox inconsistencies, so instead, you can do >^>> and time the fourth hit to allow it to tipper more easily. At far range, you always want to do >>v> for the kill, even as Marth. Be sure to try all of these in training mode with stale moves on.

At low and mid percentages, you should consider going for DB4U because if the opponent does not jump nor airdodge, you can land an UTilt, FTilt, FSmash, or aerial, and then a juggle. These work super well against opponents who want to retaliate, even though they don't have enough frame advantage. UTilt is better for opponents directly above you and FTilt is better for opponents diagonally above you. FSmash can work in place of either one; it's riskier if airdodged, but may kill them for being aggressive. >>^^ is usually a good way to set up this move, but here's the weird thing about DB4U: its tipper does less knockback for both characters, so after low percentage, you may try tippering DB4U to keep the opponent as close as possible for a followup.

Here are the more advanced combinations for juggling:
From 0% to 15%, do >^^^ to get the sour spot and send the enemy into the best position.
From 15% to 30% (or when in doubt), do >>^^ for the same reason. >^>^ is a safe way to get the tipper at this percentage if you aren't at close range and would like the extra damage (as Marth) and better angle.
Above 30%, do >>>^ or >>v^, timing the final hit for the tipper depending on distance and percentage. The second variant works better at higher percentages, and can work for a long time depending on proximity. Mid range is best—not far.

At far range and above 100%, it becomes more and more likely that it will be plain impossible to connect Dancing Blade because the opponent will be pushed too far away due to the pre-tipper hitbox. The tipper hitbox will always pop up the opponent and allow DB to connect, but the pre-tipper hitbox (the farthest possible sour spot) may screw up the entire move above 100% depending on body size (and traction?) since it sends the opponent straight away. In this situation, it is sometimes possible to save the combo with a quick >^v> because DB2U will miss intentionally to keep the opponent in range for the final two hits, but it is only rarely helpful. Many say to stick with >>v> and try to avoid far range at very high percentage.

In this game, DB4D is not very special. It does the most damage, yes, but DB4U sets up for more damage in a string or juggle. Because DB4D has 55 frames of endlag, you cannot tech-chase after it anymore. If and only if the enemy techs inward can you follow up. At low percentage against heavyweights, you can even be punished for hitting with this move. It's recommended only to use if you are sending the opponent offstage with it, or if you see that the opponent is so far away that you need its range in order to finish your DB combo.

Here are some quick recommendations for beginners. At low percentage or close range, you can really do whatever you want.

Lucina

Low % | >>^^
High %| >>v>

Marth

Low % | >>^^
________| Close | Far
High %| >>>> | >>v>

The majority of labbing for this move has been done by me (Lath), Fr0stiiiii, and Mibikin.

Last edited:

Veske

Smash Rookie
Can you explain your DB3F/DB2U/etc syntax? What do these stand for?

LGameTales

Smash Cadet
Can you explain your DB3F/DB2U/etc syntax? What do these stand for?
DB for Dancing Blade
# for the slash number
F/U/D for the direction: Forward/Up/Down

So DB3F is Dancing Blade's 3rd Forward slash.

Oukami

Smash Rookie
so what do you think of the speed?
how do you utilize it in regards to wiffs?

i've noticed the full attack can come out extremely fast if you press it fast enough, of course thats not always the best option.

LGameTales

Smash Cadet
so what do you think of the speed?
how do you utilize it in regards to wiffs?

i've noticed the full attack can come out extremely fast if you press it fast enough, of course thats not always the best option.
Despite its startup being nerfed, it's still one of the fastest options while running. The frames to cancel each slash into the next have been sped up from ~f13 to ~f8, so the whole move can come out faster. Usually inputting everything ASAP is good so that the enemy can't shield during the first three hits. The final hit is the only one that's sometimes necessary to time, like if you're Marth trying to aim for a tipper.

Maricx

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0147-2088-9642
Switch FC
SW 7600 6194 8910
Just wanted to say thanks for the great work/article/thread. Really helped me out, because my opponents kept falling out of my DB at high percentages, which obviously denied me the kill.

Top Bottom