• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to make a read out of choke?

Sycko

Smash Rookie
Sorry, I am experimenting with Ganon and have a question. I know how to make reads off of flame choke (former Ibuki main in sf) but I dont know what move is optimal for making the read. Ive mostly just ued f-tilt and stomp. Any suggestions would be great. Sorry.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
So you're asking less how to mind game, and more what to use to cover options?

For large coverage, the best option is wizkick, since it can cover no tech, tech in place, tech forward. Close behind that is flame choke, which can cover those same options, sans missed tech.

For missed tech, shdair, dtilt, and dsmash are all decent for it. Shdair and dsmash (I think...) cover missed tech and tech in place.

Dtilt can cover tech in place, but the timing is different between that and missed tech.

One note on these: with afc, characters can di behind you, before the bounce, changing followups. They can also di the burst from gfc beind you, as well. If you call them on this, turn around utilt is particularly nasty, and is one of the few times I recommend using the.move as a follow-up.

For tech away, wizkick and flame choke, as said, but you can also run sh fair/uair for it.

Tech behind, you can do flame choke and wizkick (just turn them around), or jump back bair or run back, sh fair.

If they're on a smaller platform or you have them by the ledge (basically, if you can have their options limited) you can do a lot more. Utilt and stomp gain a lot more utility, as well as dsmash, due to less space to move with their rolls.

I don't typically use ftilt out of either fc, you can usually get something better. An exception might be if they roll to the ledge at higher damage and you can clip with one of the inner legboxes (they have a lower angle) it might work, but you might be better off with most other options, anyway.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
Oh yeah: on missed tech, neutral b, grounded, jab resets. It's only useful for this, as if they do any other option, you let them get away super easy and reset the situation to neutral, which is super not fun for ganon : /

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Wizkick can actually cover all the options if you delay it and B reverse it on reaction. It's really simple if you have the right timing and if I have the reaction time to do it then everyone does.

Sycko

Smash Rookie
So wizard kick seems like he best option, any followups worth mentioning? I know wizard kick isnt he best damaging option.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Like CORY said it all depends on what happens and your degree of commitment.
If you wanna go for the safe damage then wizkick is the best, 100% guaranteed if you do the B reverse trick.
Else refer to CORY's post as I only have one thig to add : when they're near a ledge/on a platform and you know they are going to tech abuse side B regrab for free damage. It usually takes them 3-4 regrab before they stop teching.

PS : a lot of the follow ups are matchup dependants because of how different the rolls are from character to character.
For example Bowser is the freest thing since the word free was invented, if you know he's going to tech your side B just dash backwards shortly and side B forward as soon as he touches the ground and you will cover his 3 tech options. Meanwhile Mewtwo will escape most of your follow ups except wizkick if he decides to tech roll away.

Top Bottom