• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

how to make a easy, quick custom BNR file with a custom image for SSBM or any GC game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gamerlolwind

Smash Rookie
Tutorial on how to make a easy, quick custom BNR file with a custom image for SSBM or any GC game
By Gamerlolwind

What you need:
+ PC (Windows)
+ CMD (Commandline Prompt)
+ Infranview (it’s freeware, use google to find it, or on Coblat’s Tutorial on Smashboards site:
http://www.irfanview.com/
+ the JPEG image you want to use in the BNR.
+ GCbanner 0.3 by looser! program (that can convert easily a TGA file to BNR file):
http://www.gc-forever.com/forums/download/file.php?id=82&sid=a141b12bd9fe873ff8318d56776db98b

Steps for making a custom. BNR:

1) take your image.jpeg image and plug it into Infranview (i figured since it can convert images to .ppm and etc formats (thanx to Shockslayer for this info on .ppm files) :) , then why not .tga file?)

2) convert the image.jpeg to .tga with resize of 96 x 32 for GC banner requirements.

Go to “resize/resample” and change the Width/Height to 96 x 32.
Then “Save as” the file to image.TGA extension.
3) Use CMD to launch the GCbanner app and use b command to convert the image.tga to image.bnr, and your done!

Command:
GCbanner.exe <switch> <.tga ifile> <.bnr ifile>
Switch:
B – converts tga to bnr
C – converts bnr to tga

Ex. GCbanner.exe b image.tga image.bnr

After Converting, you should end up with somthing like this in the GCBanner folder:

file size is 7 kb.

4) Then plug the custom image.bnr (renamed to opening.bnr) into the root melee hack, opened the (root) folder in GCrebulider and it should appear perfectly fine!

That’s it!
Enjoy your new custom imaged Banner
gamer

DRGN

Technowizard
Premium
When you say "Banner", what exactly are you referring to? I'm not sure what this is changing. Does anyone have any screenshots?

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Thanks for this guide btw.

When you say "Banner", what exactly are you referring to? I'm not sure what this is changing. Does anyone have any screenshots?
Banners are just used to visually identify the game. For example, if you open up Dolphin Emulator and have game ISOs in its default directory, their banner will be displayed.

UniClown

Smash Rookie
Thanks for this guide btw.

Banners are just used to visually identify the game. For example, if you open up Dolphin Emulator and have game ISOs in its default directory, their banner will be displayed.

I followed this guide and got my custom banner to display in GCRebuilder v1.0, but when I add the iso to dolphin, it's banner is still the default. How do I make this banner appear in dolphin?

My idea was to make a banner for the 20XX Hack Pack ISO so I could differentiate it from the regular 1.02 ISO.

Achilles1515

Smash Master
I followed this guide and got my custom banner to display in GCRebuilder v1.0, but when I add the iso to dolphin, it's banner is still the default. How do I make this banner appear in dolphin?

My idea was to make a banner for the 20XX Hack Pack ISO so I could differentiate it from the regular 1.02 ISO.
Maybe Dolphin holds these images in a cache or something. Idk, I've never done this myself. Look around in the Dolphin files.

Achilles1515

Smash Master

Maybe try deleting the files within Documents\Dolphin Emulator\Cache

Just a guess.

Last edited:

UniClown

Smash Rookie
Maybe Dolphin holds these images in a cache or something. Idk, I've never done this myself. Look around in the Dolphin files.
I got it to work!

First step is to take your game iso and rename it to something you will recognize (my 20XX Hack Pack iso was called "20XX Melee.iso"). Then follow OP's guide to change the banner. You can open this iso in GCRebuilder to modify any properties you want to appear in dolphin.

Add that add the iso to whatever folder you put the rest of your iso's in so that it will appear in dolphin. Upon opening or refreshing dolphin, dolphin will create a .cache file in your user directory's cache folder (usually in documents). This file should have the name "-UNIQUE NAME FROM FIRST STEP-.iso_xxxxxxx_xxxxxxx.cache" backup that file by adding "OLD" or something of the sort to the end of the name.

Refresh dolphin and the modified banner and information you applied to the iso will appear and an automatically generated .cache file will be made. Here is what my dolphin looks like

I also included the custom banner I made; I just put green text of "20XX" over the top, but it works

EDIT: just saw achilles's new post haha, what you said worked. Hope my little guide helps others anyway.

Last edited:

Todd Bonney

Smash Lord
This did not work for me. I can't even see the new image in gcr. For now I will just use custom banner feature of wiiflow if that's what that does. Any idea what went wrong?

Last edited:

UniClown

Smash Rookie
This did not work for me. I can't even see the new image in gcr. For now I will just use custom banner feature of wiiflow if that's what that does. Any idea what went wrong?
If you follow op's guide that should get you to the point of having the banner appear in gcr. My simple fix is to make it appear in dolphin emulator.

You can try using the banner in the imgur link from my last post and convert that to a tga with infranview. If you can be more specific I may be able to help.

TerryJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
1337-1337-1337
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
use the "cd C:\Users\...." command to change the working command line directory to the folder that GCBanner is in.

It took me awhile to figure this thing out as well. I think the main post leaves out a few steps.
It's easiest to just open a CMD prompt for the window you're working in by shift-right clicking any blank area in the window and clicking Open command window here, it'll do the cd command for you.

Last edited:

CeLL

Smash Lord
I'm having an issue with this. I'm trying to convert this image to a banner:
Shine.png

But every time I try it it comes out like this:
Corrupted.png

The command I'm using is:
Code:
gcbanner.exe b Shine.bnr Shine.tga
I'm just converting it to a tga with GIMP, not IrfanView.

DRGN

Technowizard
Premium
It's easiest to just open a CMD prompt for the window you're working in by shift-right clicking any blank area in the window and clicking Open command window here, it'll do the cd command for you.
Did you know you can also type "cmd" into a folder's address bar?

Another great, little-know technique is shift right-clicking on a file for the option "Copy as Path" to quickly put its filepath into your clipboard. Quite handy.

TerryJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
1337-1337-1337
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
Did you know you can also type "cmd" into a folder's address bar?

Another great, little-know technique is shift right-clicking on a file for the option "Copy as Path" to quickly put its filepath into your clipboard. Quite handy.
I did not know this. Don't you just love keyboard shortcuts? They're tha best

ZobmieRules

Smash Cadet
I got up to the CMD section in a flash, but now I'm stuck. I feel the CMD section needs to be re-written. Then again, maybe I'm just an idiot. I can't understand what to do here. I keep getting "not recognized", "was unexpected", or "cannot find the file" errors. That or just plain nothing happens.

Edit: Just be patient, Zobmie... :c

Last edited:

WinterWonter

Smash Apprentice
NNID
mikael72202
3DS FC
5241-2891-3126
Hey this thread may or may not be dead but I'll give it a shot.
So I followed these instructions perfectly (I'm pretty sure, but I could easily be wrong lol) Except instead of getting a random image, at first I got the .bnr but as a .bmp from GCRebuilder 1.0, changed it to .jgp, edited it to how I wanted (change the MELEE text to say something else) Then converted it back blah blah blah. Got ready to import it via the import thing next to the banner image but that only accepted .bmps so my .bnr wouldn't work. I figured I should just go import it directly to the actual .bnr file in the root folder and I did but it said "The file is too large" or something similar to that. On further inspection, this is true. The real .bnr file is 7 kb and my edited .bnr file is 10 kb. So after that I tried to take the actual .bnr file, convert it to .tga, then to jpg so that I could actually edit it and then back again, but I couldn't find a way to convert that specific .tga file. Am I doing something wrong here? I'm just trying to make a joke banner for me and my friends, what gives? :p

Akli LT

Smash Rookie
So i tried this and i got this to work and all. but when i start up usb loadergx i just see the normal melee banner. does usbloader gx use an other file in the usbloader gx folder on my sd to show the banner? i edited the banner of an melee pal iso btw

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom