• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to learn Melee?

clawh00k

Smash Rookie
I've recently been getting into melee but I'm really bad. I've only played with my friend who is actually good at the game and he wins every time. I have problems with recovering(except on Falco and Fox) and grabbing. I can somewhat L-Cancel but I can't wavedash. Any advice for practicing?

KirinKQP

Smash Journeyman
Melee is an example of how hard work and diligence pay off. Look up YouTube videos for guides on how to do things like wavedash, auto canceling, etc.. Once you know how to do those sorts of things (specifically the inputs) go to training mode and constantly practice that tech until you can do it multiple times in a row. This way, you will slowly build muscle memory so your hands will automatically do things like L-cancel without you having to think twice about it. Once you are proficient enough, start using that knowledge against your friend.

As for the problem grabbing and recovering, your controller probably has issues or you're fresh-off-the-block new to the game. Honestly, play against low level CPU to get a feel for your character and their moveset. Run off the stage and try to regrab the ledge to understand your character's recovery. That being said, stick to one character for a long time (A.K.A. your main). You will be much better using that character alone rather than multiple at once. Not to mention you'll learn the matchup much quicker (assuming your friend uses a variety of characters).

On this website, look up your main's framedata which basically tells you the details for every attack and their hitboxes. Details such as how long a hitbox lingers, lag and when you can cancel them. For me personally, this pinpointed what moves I should focus on using and moves that I shouldn't use.

Lastly, ask your friend questions. He will be a valuable source of information because they are more experienced than you.

Last edited:

_Ne0N_

Smash Cadet
what you should also do is when playing your friend, instead of playing to win, play to try and see what you can pick up from them, such as tactics, habits or other decisions they make in game. basically try to figure out their style. read them. that is how you play melee. it is like a puzzle game. in general, top level melee is trying to figure out what each person is doing and finding a way to punish what they are doing, either by reaction or read, and using their character's tools to do just that. when you can pick up what your opponent does, youve learned melee, and can basically beat them with almost any character, so long as you know how to punish their decisions.

every little decision in melee counts, and learning what you can do in which situation and knowing all details as quickly as possible, you can probably kick some ass.

Captain Phobos

Smash Apprentice
It doesn't work as well for Melee as it does for Smash 4, but you can watch professional matches to see what they're doing. I also recommend fighting bots at increasing levels when you feel you're good enough to advance. This can help you practice tech and combos.

fadedlamp42

Smash Rookie
Just a suggestion: pick a viable character, you'll be more responsible with your losses instead of copping them out because you're playing a low/mid-tier. Do what you want and have fun, but don't make excuses either.

BagrB0y

Smash Cadet
Set aside a little bit of time every day or every other day to do some tech practices, watch guides, and just slowly improve at whatever you are doing.

Top Bottom