• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to keep (official) Gamecube controller consistently clean?

DelugeFGC

Smash Stick Space Cowboy
Switch FC
SW-2582-1162-1537
I was into Smash pretty intensely back in the day, even had my time in the sun competing at a few locals during the Melee and then Brawl / PM days, though nothing too big outside of a few brief / desperate grabs for glory I missed. I used to have a TON of controllers and remember a few of them pretty well and fondly. Regardless, in that gap I stopped playing from like, 2010-2018, all my controllers were done away with some way or another. So when I jumped back in hard when Ultimate caught my attention (or life, soul?) along came new controllers.

Specifically, the new Smash Ultimate run GCN controllers. I have seen people complain about these in comparison to the old ones, but overall I do like them just as much if not more possibly. I haven't done much with them outside of Ultimate and Melee (mostly Ult as that's my primary game now) to say how they are in general / overall, but for Smash they've been fantastic.. except they kind of get dirty easier than I remember the older ones getting.

I don't mind taking my controllers apart and I naturally will end up doing this of my own accord outside of cleaning eventually anyway, but I'm not super huge on having to constantly wipe the thing down with alcohol wipes and clean the button cutouts, triggers and crease of the controller ALL the time which is the issue I've been having. My B buttons seem super fond of collecting crap in the 'B' cutout, no other buttons really do this to the same extent.. and the triggers seem to stain on the top really easily compared to the old ones. I can clean all of this off and make the controller look brand new pretty efficiently, but I'd like to NOT have to do it all the time in order to avoid a nasty looking controller if I could. The crease specifically is the part that bothers me the most, as it requires taking the controller apart entirely to clean well.

So, this crease sits there, building up all sorts of crap in only a few days sometimes. Usually it takes at least a week before it gets to the point where I'm reaching for a triwing and a toothpick / cloth to clean it with, but other times not so much.. happens a lot sooner. Is there any way to keep this from happening? I've found that the controllers get dirty easier in general I think as I'm not an unclean person, I've even tried to make a point of washing my hands before playing to mitigate this but.. no dice.

Am I doomed to constantly be taking apart my controllers to clean the crease / seam gunk, or is there something I can do to stop / slow this down? Something I can buy to cover it? The insides of my controller around the buttons (where it matters) don't really get any build up, at least so far, it's all cosmetic stuff.. but god I hate it. I would be perfectly content if I were taking it apart once or twice a month for cleaning and all that, but once or twice a WEEK seems a bit much. I swear I don't remember the older controllers picking up dirt and crap so easily, maybe the crease between the shell pieces on these newer ones is bigger or something? I have no idea, I just desperately want a solution.

Last edited:

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Use cleaning wipes after every session, especially ones that are more than 30 minutes.

Top Bottom