• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A How to Jump - Mario "Help Me" Q&A Thread

I always seem to struggle with approaching ROB, specially when the player has a very prominent laser and gyro game. He's able to safely rack-up damage from a distance, and it's not very safe to approach. I've try to incorporate the cape as much as I can, but some of his projectiles are too fast to react too.

Any tips on the vs ROB match-up?

Last edited:
When should I use D-tilt? Aside from after down throw at low percents? Or at the ledge? When is a good time to go for a raw d-tilt?
I've found that if you sweet spot N-air your opponents, specially at low percentages, and you follow their DI, you can follow up with a D-tilt into U-tilt (As many times depending on the %) into a chain of U-Air(s). Works kinda like the down-throw Knock-back wise.

You need to try to hit before the opponent hits the floor, or if they don't tech, if they enter tumble animation you can jab lock instead, then grab them. (This is only above 50% for most characters).

Last edited:

Untamed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Immortal_gamer2
(sorry if this is too long).

I don't know what it is, maybe it's because I haven't played in a while and :4mario: is easy to pick up, but I instantly clicked with him. Before I would lose a lot, but as soon as I started using mario , I started winning. However, I have a problem with his recovery. I don't know why, but I SD more with mario than any other character. Either I'm losing my jump and I'm not noticing it and the up B doesn't reach, or :4mario: is for some reason facing the other way and when I up b he doesn't grab the edge. He is the only character I've had this issue with, the rest do not face the wrong way. I'm not sure if it's my controller, or what, but It's frustrating me. Any help?

Last edited:
(sorry if this is too long).

I don't know what it is, maybe it's because I haven't played in a while and :4mario: is easy to pick up, but I instantly clicked with him. Before I would lose a lot, but as soon as I started using mario , I started winning. However, I have a problem with his recovery. I don't know why, but I SD more with mario than any other character. Either I'm losing my jump and I'm not noticing it and the up B doesn't reach, or :4mario: is for some reason facing the other way and when I up b he doesn't grab the edge. He is the only character I've had this issue with, the rest do not face the wrong way. I'm not sure if it's my controller, or what, but It's frustrating me. Any help?

You need to get used to the distance your Up-B travels, and when it is safe to use it, specially when you're trying to sweet-spot the ledge. Always, when you are doing your Up-B, make sure your stick is diagonally facing the left or right, meaning while you're holding the stick up, you slightly move it to one side or the other. (Left and Right). If you accidentally do the cape while getting used to this diagonal angle, it's OK because it will stop Mario in the air, and you can still easily recover.

Untamed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Immortal_gamer2
You need to get used to the distance your Up-B travels, and when it is safe to use it, specially when you're trying to sweet-spot the ledge. Always, when you are doing your Up-B, make sure your stick is diagonally facing the left or right, meaning while you're holding the stick up, you slightly move it to one side or the other. (Left and Right). If you accidentally do the cape while getting used to this diagonal angle, it's OK because it will stop Mario in the air, and you can still easily recover.
I'm using the pro (going to switching to the GCC very soon), so I don't know if that has anything to do with it, but it's really frustrating. I guess I'm just going to have to really practice his recovery. Would you mind dittoing me sometime and point out my mistakes? I can't exactly play right now, but maybe later tonight, or tomorrow? Thanks.

Kulty

Smash Ace
Hi guys,

What are Mario's best characters to team up with in Doubles and why? I'm writing a Mario guide based on this topic, so I need help (mainly because I don't watch a lot of Doubles tournaments)!

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
What's the best way to get out of Mario's utilt strings? Di up, down, away or is it character dependent? If it's the last one then what's the best way to di for the likes of :4kirby:, :4metaknight: and :4dedede:?

-Sensei-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sensei544
I'm pretty sure the correct way is to DI down and shield, but you're probably better off trying to jump out. The knockback on uptilt should only give Mario 2-3 tops before you can jump out, unless you're a fast falling character.

Xeze

Smash Ace
NNID
XezeMaster
3DS FC
3969-6256-6191
With floaty characters the best way is to DI up and jump as soon as possible. Most good Mario players won't go for u-tilt strings vs floaties anyway, because they know that.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Hi. I didn't see this in the MU thread so I'll ask here: what are your thoughts, as Mario players, on the Mario vs Link MU? I played a good Mario and it seems like he had the advantage but Link could potentially win, 6/4 Mario's favor maybe? But I might have been playing it wrong :/

Xeze

Smash Ace
NNID
XezeMaster
3DS FC
3969-6256-6191
What are the do's & don'ts when fighting kirby?

:pow:
Don't overextend your aerial strings due to Kirby being floaty. Watch out for his dair, he can do dair->up-smash or dair->d-smash and this is dangerous at kill %. Have FLUDD ready to gimp possible up Bs that don't sweetspot the ledge. The best way to secure kills against Kirby is with a well spaced pivot JC up smash.

Hi. I didn't see this in the MU thread so I'll ask here: what are your thoughts, as Mario players, on the Mario vs Link MU? I played a good Mario and it seems like he had the advantage but Link could potentially win, 6/4 Mario's favor maybe? But I might have been playing it wrong :/
Link actually wins the MU. :4mario: 45:55 :4link: I would say. Link is combo food for Mario at low-mid % but his superior grab and tilts are troublesome. Even though Mario has a cape, Link has 3 different projectiles. Too much to deal with at the same time. Mario also has a hard time landing against him due to attacks like u-air, u-tilt and up smash.
Force Mario to approach with them, space your tilts and grab to get damage and try not to get grabbed yourself. When Mario's offstage, try to gimp him with n-air or f-air. If you are offstage, tether recover whenever possible because FLUDD and Cape are there.

Last edited:

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
If Mario's fludd didn't get so nerf, that mario vs. link wouldn't be as close as 45:55

Brawl Mario's fludd was godlike in hit lag and cutting projectiles.

:pow:

FUEGO!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MontyRattata
Could anyone elaborate some precentages that Up throw to Fullhop Down air to Dj Fair works?

Kaladin

Stormblessed
NNID
Toobu_me
New mario player here. When you get a grab, what should you do? At low/0% I mixup dthrow utilts (lulz. My least used option cuz not guaranteed) fthrow rar bair, and uthrow dair follow DI and ariel. At mid % after Uthrow starts working I do dthrow uair> [ariel] or dthrow utilt uair [ariel]. Is this optimal? Is there a combo/mixup I don't know about? Thanks!

Xeze

Smash Ace
NNID
XezeMaster
3DS FC
3969-6256-6191
New mario player here. When you get a grab, what should you do? At low/0% I mixup dthrow utilts (lulz. My least used option cuz not guaranteed) fthrow rar bair, and uthrow dair follow DI and ariel. At mid % after Uthrow starts working I do dthrow uair> [ariel] or dthrow utilt uair [ariel]. Is this optimal? Is there a combo/mixup I don't know about? Thanks!
Try to mix some d-tilts on low % after a down throw. Jabs also work.

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
Hey do Mario/Dr. Mario have the same weight, Fall speed and modifiers that go into combos? Like will a combo work on Dr.Mario from 2-30% and work on Mario 2-30%? and is it the same for Marth/Lucina and Pit/Dark Pit?

Eight_SixtyFour

Smash Ace
Hey do Mario/Dr. Mario have the same weight, Fall speed and modifiers that go into combos? Like will a combo work on Dr.Mario from 2-30% and work on Mario 2-30%? and is it the same for Marth/Lucina and Pit/Dark Pit?
Same weight and fall speed, but Doc has worse air speed. No modifiers affecting combos.

To my knowledge, Marth and Lucina and the Pits are identical in this respect too. Stuff that works on Marth should work on Lucina and stuff that works on Pit should work on Dark Pit.

Subteram

Smash Rookie
NNID
Subteram
3DS FC
5300-9458-2142
What are some good secondaries/co mains for Mario? Also what are his weaknesses? (the only one I'm aware of is disjointed hit boxes)

BoxedOccaBerrys

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BoXeDOccaBerrys
I have some trouble with disjointed hitboxes and faster projectiles, such as links arrows (i know im a pleb i have trouble with arrows), what should i do about disjointed hitboxes more than fast projectiles?

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
N-air vs Fireball approaches. GRAB AGGRESSIVELY AND FORCE MARIO TO RESPECT IT (also...pivot grab approaches and dashgrab his landing is pretty easy too). Mario will need to jump/dodge a lot in order to not get screwed by Link's grab and this opens him up to getting punished by a bunch of powerful stuff (Link's anti-airs are really good, you have a lot of options to choose from against Mario when he's in the air). Once he's offstage, N-air or D-air him out of his Up-B. N-air will trade but gimp him out of his Up-B. D-air doesn't trade but does massive damage/can KO/stagespike.

Matchup is clearly Link's favor.

I have some trouble with disjointed hitboxes and faster projectiles, such as links arrows (i know im a pleb i have trouble with arrows), what should i do about disjointed hitboxes more than fast projectiles?
Usually SH airdodge is one of Mario's better options. You can buffer a B-air after SH airdodge. Obviously you shouldn't be predictable, but it's a way to potentially bait people and close the distance.

Last edited:

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
When do you guys prefer to opt for a fireball campy playstyle or rushdown playstyle? I've seen some people get by without using fireball, and was wondering when I should opt to either play defensively or just rush right in depending on what kind of MU I'm facing.

Last edited:

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
When do you guys prefer to opt for a fireball campy playstyle or rushdown playstyle? I've seen some people get by without using fireball, and was wondering when I should opt to either play defensively or just rush right in depending on what kind of MU I'm facing.
I only play mad campy vs Rosalina and Luigi (pre-patch). The rest I play as I normally do: Have a strong neutral and once you're in, try your hardest to not be pushed out.

Phill-Bot

Smash Apprentice
Krysco above asked the best way to DI out of Mario's uptilts. I just want to make sure if I understand correctly. So characters like Ryu, Roy, Bowser, Fox, Shiek, DK, Falcon should DI down? Anyone that's a mid weight or floaty should DI up and spam jump? Also, is it best to DI diagonally up or down rather than directly up or down?

BoxedOccaBerrys

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BoXeDOccaBerrys
What is the best thing to do against speedy characters, and people who must work in a bakery, because of all the rolls? i have trouble with both of those (hell i even have trouble with little mac... thats kind of sad)

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
What is the best thing to do against speedy characters, and people who must work in a bakery, because of all the rolls? i have trouble with both of those (hell i even have trouble with little mac... thats kind of sad)
Fast rolls can't really be reacted to, so it sort of comes down to reading their patterns. Safest way to punish them is by either dash attacking or dairing through them. If you feel you can read it well though, go for an upsmash.

Last edited:

ixos

Smash Apprentice
NNID
coolniceae27
3DS FC
2766-9576-6857
Hey everyone. I have trouble fighting against Mario players who use a lot of combos in the air, and I can never seem to get out of them. Not matter how hard I try, I just can't. I try to DI out of them, and either I DI incorrectly or they just read where I'm going to DI to and they continue the combo. I main Marth, Pit, and Robin.

(Sorry if this is in the wrong place or there's already another thread like this.)

Pogoshark

Diddy-Strong
NNID
Pogoshark
Im really struggling with the Mario/Doc match up
What are some of Mario's exploitable weaknesses or things I could do to make the MU easier?

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Im really struggling with the Mario/Doc match up
What are some of Mario's exploitable weaknesses or things I could do to make the MU easier?
Hey everyone. I have trouble fighting against Mario players who use a lot of combos in the air, and I can never seem to get out of them. Not matter how hard I try, I just can't. I try to DI out of them, and either I DI incorrectly or they just read where I'm going to DI to and they continue the combo. I main Marth, Pit, and Robin.

(Sorry if this is in the wrong place or there's already another thread like this.)
You guys should go to your respective character boards for more assistance.

Xeze

Smash Ace
NNID
XezeMaster
3DS FC
3969-6256-6191
Can anyone let me know how to do the running turn-around upsmash?
the best way is to do it is via a pivot jump cancelled up smash.

Inputs :GCR: (dash) -> :GCL:+:GCX:/:GCY: + :GCCU:.

I have jump mapped to the :GCZ: button too to make it easier to press it and the c-stick at the same time.

BoxedOccaBerrys

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BoXeDOccaBerrys
Well, im gonna broaden my question a little, i dont have problems with JUST Fox/Falco, Mainly Fastfallers like Sheik and Fox... any tips for them, oh, and i have trouble with rosalina, any tips on most of those matchups? Pls&TY

Samlage

Smash Cadet
I'm having immense trouble handling passive players that play long ranged swordfighters, or tether users like link and samus (link is my worst nightmare since he is 2 in one). And the reason i'm having trouble with the tethers is more related to their ledgegrab with it since it makes it harder to gimp.

Last night i met a samus that destroyed me in FG 20 games in a row. He had like every approach covered. He didnt use his charged shot until AFTER I had caped. If i tried to approach him from the air he would just grab me and toss me away.if i empty shorthopped to try grab on him he always got me first for some reason. He never exploited himself by using missiles at the wrong spacing.

Overall passive play with perfect spacing is the bane of my current playstyle and despite that i know what is waiting for me, i do not have proper answer yet.

It's like trying to get past a brick wall.

I'm fairly new to mario, sitting at maybe 10 hours playtime with him currently, so there is much to learn. I main rob but as it looks i might put him as a secondary since mario feels more suited overall in matchups and therefore a better investment.

I have not incorporated things as trotting and dash dancing into my play as of yet due to time constraint, neither the various cancel-grab moves iv'e seen either. How important are those to mario?

ANY tips and hints regarding enemies that has great tools to keep mario away is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

xXDR.SWOOCEXx

Smash Rookie
NNID
SupahHotFire17
I like smash but I am not too good at it so I thought I would learn Mario since he is a good all around character. Any tips for using him and who would be a goods secondary?

BoxedOccaBerrys

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BoXeDOccaBerrys
I like smash but I am not too good at it so I thought I would learn Mario since he is a good all around character. Any tips for using him and who would be a goods secondary?
Mario plays as a juggler, most of his combos coming from throws. Namely his down-throw into up-tilt and up-airs, and sometimes i've seen up-throw to down-air. if you can juggle characters with his up-airs, and you can use his A-M-A-Z-I-N-G N-air to knock-down opponents and set up a lock with his jab, he has a good projectile, a reflector that turns people around, and a recovery that makes you rich, hes an all-around good character, he has more speed than doc, but a little less power... thats really what i know, i think his better kill moves are his Backthrow and his U-smash outta shield.

to all the mario mains i just disgraced, please dont hate me.

Top Bottom