• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to Improve in Sm4sh

Squidoshi

Smash Rookie
Got back into Smash after a long hiatus, and been playing heavily for about a week and a half. Granted it's not that long, but it's the transition period from a casual to the competitive scene. I'm currently deployed so I can't watch YouTube or anything and these guides and a friend who has been playing for a long time are my only resources. I'm a Yoshi main and have been improving since I started a week and a half ago. Just asking for some tips in general and how to get rid of bad habits, as I'm sure I have a few. They don't have to be Yoshi specific or anything, maybe tips for neutral, recovering, keeping the advantage state, etc. Thanks for the inputs, I hope you all have a good day!

Ralugi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Uranium238
Welcome back!

Well, it's good to use a hard to punish move to poke/ bait people out with in the neutral. A friend of mine uses Yoshi, and use jabs and Ftilt to try to get a reaction out of me. Try not to overuse the same tactics, as they'll eventually stop working (e.g. Dair for breaking shields).

As for the rest, I would need to play you to find out.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
In order to get rid of bad habits, you might want to save your matches regardless of whether you won or lost. When you watch a replay, focus on Yoshi or your opponent's character first. You're free to choose Yoshi or your opponent's character because you can always go back to watch the replay again. I say to choose one or the other because you don't want to get distracted. Get something to write with and some paper. I use a pen and notebook. Write down what you or your opponent did that was useful and what was punishable. You will be pausing to write these things down. Doing this allows you to keep in mind what works while removing what doesn't. Also don't worry to take risks. Taking a risk may be the difference between winning and losing.

The_World

Smash Cadet
Couple of small tips:

Make sure you keep your eyes towards they character you are fighting and not the one you are playing. Helps with reactions and spacing.

Also, something I like to do is play a few matches with restrictions on something I know I do a lot that I get punished for. For example, if I catch myself rolling to much (or at least in a specific direction) I limit myself by not rolling for a match or two. It helps you figure out what the better option would be in certain situations, and helps get rid of habits to some extent.

Having someone else point out things they notice you do helps, and you should be doing the same for them in return.

If you are notice that you keep going for a certain set up that doesn't seem to work out the way you thought, head to the training room and figure out whats going on. Take note of percents, timing and DI.

Good luck

Squidoshi

Smash Rookie
Thank you all! I have a friend that helps me with general game knowledge, but not somebody that helps with Yoshi specific things. When I get back home, I'm going to head to the local game shop, got in contact with some people and found a good Yoshi player who's going to help me improve and tell me what my bad habits are. Until then, I'll definitely try punishing myself to find another way around something. I've noticed I don't utilt or dtilt that much, I'll sub utilt for usmash and ignore dtilt completely. Since then I've been working on my dtilt, but have a hard time remembering to switch my "u" moves.

Ratsu48

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1349-7197-9505
best method to improve in smash is just to play smash

Bob

Banned via Warnings
Guide to becoming a better Smasher

1. Shield: Use it. This is the most important tool in your arsenal. Not only does it provide protection from all attacks, but it can be cancelled into a jump, up-special, or roll in the event that it weakens or someone tries to grab you. Don't just aimlessly put it up though, use it out of a dash/run for best results.

2. Roll. Despite having a risk factor in it, rolls are a very reliable way of escaping pressure and getting out of trouble. They may not be the most efficient way under all circumstances, but under non-tournament settings, it works wonders. Don't overuse it though, or people will start to catch on and punish you.

3. Jump evasively. This is arguable a more effective form of dodging then rolling, as you not only get full control of your momentum, but also have to option to attack. To use your jump defensively, either jump over the opponent or away from them, if they make a mistake in trying to hit you, then punish them!

4. Practice Strings. Every character in the game has at least one true combo or string in their arsenal. Experiment with different characters and test the % ranges for these strings in order to maximize damage output.

5. Smash Attacks. Another important tool. these attacks are not only fast, but powerful as well, use them when your opponent's % gets high (80%+ will suffice) to finish them off!

6. Special Moves. Each character has a different set of custom moves of which all have different properties and applications. Study your characters' special moves in Training Mode and Online in order to get the most optimal results from them. Just make sure to to overuse them or you'll get punished!

7. K.O. Setups. This one intertwines with 4. certain characters have strings that they can perform at high %s to finish off a stock for their opponent. Experiment with your character to see if they have one. Some characters like Ness may sacrifice the conventional K.O. setups for a kill throw instead, in this case, his Back-Throw.

8. Keep Practicing! Now that you've learned all of the essential information for competitive smash, you now have a basis on which you can improve! Spend lots of time experimenting and testing out new techniques or tactics, whilst you work your way to the top!

Last edited:
Top Bottom