• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to impliment L-canceling into my gameplay?

Papaka

Smash Rookie
Hi, I have a lot of difficulty implimenting L-canceling into my gameplay. Can someone help? Give advices? Thanks!

Stride

Smash Ace
North-west England (near Manchester/Liverpool)
You want to L-cancel every aerial, so it's simple: you just keep trying to do it until it becomes a habit. If you just remember to do it (very important; forgetting to do something you want to implement when you're caught up in the moment is a big obstacle to learning) and pay attention to your results then you'll get the hang of it eventually. Play games where it's the main focus (even to the detriment of other areas of your gameplay; implementing new tech normally does that, but it's worth it in the long term), and practice it specifically when you practice alone. If you do an input too early then do it later; if you do an input too late then do it earlier. That's pretty much all there is to learning any techskill.

Use the 20XX training pack and turn on L-cancel indicators, both for successful and missed L-cancels, so you can see your results. Over time you'll learn to distinguish missed/successful L-cancels just by sight and feel without needing the overlays, but they're very valuable for learning.

Generally you'll learn how to L-cancel by learning specific sequences (e.g. short hop fast fall nair) and be unable to reliably L-cancel outside of those sequences. But then once you're sufficiently used to those sequences you'll get a better idea of the L-cancel timing in itself, and you'll be able to intuitively adjust it for unfamiliar situations better.

Take note that there's a different timing for L-cancelling on hit than there is on whiff because of the hitlag (the way you freeze for a few frames when you hit something). If you're not fastfalling you have to delay the L-cancel on hit. If you are fastfalling (which you usually will be), you have to delay your fastfall on hit but the L-cancel is still at the same timing relative to the fastfall. It's also important to recognise exactly which part of the sequence you mess up if you do in order to adjust correctly, i.e. whether you mess up the L-cancel timing directly or you mess up the fastfall which subsequently messes up your L-cancel.

The sequence of actions is: Jump->aerial->connect with opponent/hitlag->fastfall (optional)->L-cancel input->land

Last edited:

Papaka

Smash Rookie
Wow thanks man. I wasn't sure how to impliment it because it was worsening my gameplay when I tought about it but thanks to you I know it'll pay off in the long term. Thanks again!

KEYLIME SSB

Smash Journeyman
the moment I learned how to SHFFL my aerials my gameplay immediately improved. It's actually one of the main learning barriers for ne Melee players. It seriously widens your gameplay options in every aspect.

Altanic

Smash Apprentice
20xx is a great resource for learning this. I just sat in training mode jumping in place doing different aerials until I got it consistently. Then I would move on to hitting the cpu every time when using an aerial to adjust to the different timing. I actually learned l-cancelling on shield just through fights, you miss them but you'll get them. Once you adapt to the on-hit lag, there isn't a huge difference between that and hitting shield. But with 20xx you can always turn on infinite shields and practice hitting a dummy shield until you get all 3 variations relatively consistently.

When I taught myself to implement wavedashing, I would play Luigi against the CPU, and only use wavedashes as my form of movement, no walking, running, or dash-dancing. So I would kind of just slide around using tilts and stuff. It helped me learn how to position myself using wavedashes and also helped me get them more consistent.

Stride

Smash Ace
20xx is a great resource for learning this. I just sat in training mode jumping in place doing different aerials until I got it consistently. Then I would move on to hitting the cpu every time when using an aerial to adjust to the different timing. I actually learned l-cancelling on shield just through fights, you miss them but you'll get them. Once you adapt to the on-hit lag, there isn't a huge difference between that and hitting shield. But with 20xx you can always turn on infinite shields and practice hitting a dummy shield until you get all 3 variations relatively consistently.

When I taught myself to implement wavedashing, I would play Luigi against the CPU, and only use wavedashes as my form of movement, no walking, running, or dash-dancing. So I would kind of just slide around using tilts and stuff. It helped me learn how to position myself using wavedashes and also helped me get them more consistent.
There's no difference in hitlag on hit and on shield.

Last edited:

R3D3MON

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KeeHwang2010
Hi, I have a lot of difficulty implimenting L-canceling into my gameplay. Can someone help? Give advices? Thanks!
If you want L-Cancelling to be a habit, try playing friendlies where you are only focusing on L-cancelling aerials instead of winning. Don't worry about losing games or playing worse; friendlies and the like should be viewed as practice tools, and as long as you are playing friendlies with a distinct purpose, L-cancelling should come with time and effort.

asterik216

Smash Rookie
Its actually easy to get the hang of if you pretend like your trying to wave land after everything but try not to click the trigger in.

Stride

Smash Ace
Its actually easy to get the hang of if you pretend like your trying to wave land after everything but try not to click the trigger in.
I mean maybe that method works for you, but I can only imagine it making things worse since the timing windows for wavelanding and L-cancelling don't overlap at all; you can only L-cancel during the move, and you can only waveland after the move. You probably shouldn't be thinking of it like that.

Last edited:

ChibiRoboMan

Smash Rookie
Honestly just play the game. A lot. Use anthers ladder if you can (try to use a decent computer and use online dolphin capabilities at your own risk.)

Top Bottom