• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide How to hatch a healthy Yoshi: A Yoshi guide

metayoshi

Smash Cadet
Finally, I decided to read through a Yoshi guide instead of watching Fumi's videos to get better with yoshi. I've been a Yoshi player since the N64 days, but I never got serious with him until recently where I kept losing badly in tournaments.

This is a great guide. Now I know what fumi is doing in his videos :).

D

Deleted member

Awesome guide. I'm having trouble with the djl thing. Is it important. Well anyways, best Yoshi guide i've ever seen (btw bringer, i watched some of ur vids, u are quite good. U do lots of tourneys?)

D

Deleted member

Cuz....

Well i like the kingdom hearts games, and sora is gangster and his shoes are really big! Also, he wouldn't be a bad smash bro, considering he could use magic, and his keyblade would make him like a sword wielder. :chuckle:

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: ANYWAY...

...Something about Yoshi...

Bringer, can you send me a PAL copy of Melee?

rmusgrave

BRoomer
BRoomer
It's not impossible, but it's also not free. And I don't even know if game stores still have GC games anymore. I'll have a look next time I'm in a game store for you Shiri. Chances are I'll get a player's choice case, which is what Ryoko wanted so he could tell the cases apart.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
I made a very strange observation about Yoshi's foward smash. If you hit the enemy at the tip of his head, you can hit your opponent with a bit more knockback and a slightly lower trajectory.

Winnar

Smash Lord
@ Bloshi - I'm pretty sure any GCN will play PAL or NTSC smash, it's more of an update for SSBM, not the GCN.

@ Eternal Yoshi - I thought you might be onto something, so I did a little testing. How close Yoshi was didn't seem to effect the knockback, but of the angled f-smashes, the d-angled f-smash had slightly farther knockback than the rest. This was done in training mode on FD with Yoshi and Doctor Mario. The Doc was set to human with 50%, and there was no DI'ing. Sorry :( Maybe it just catches people by surprise and they DI poorly, because I thought you were right.

::FalcoFTW::

Smash Apprentice
Hey I was wondering do you know how to do a double jump off the ledge and turn around, egg toss and still grab onto the ledge? I've done it several times when practicing the ledge cancelled egg tosses. Now that I've got those down i'm trying to figure out how to turn around and throw eggs for greater range, but i can't seem to do it at all now. I always jump too far away from the ledge to catch it again...:(

Also, thanks for the guide. I didn't know about the double jump edge guard. It makes for some really quick edge hogging. I frequently egg toss or air dodge (failed wavedash) of the edge and to my demise, but not anymore:chuckle:

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Nice guide! Yoshi is basically my favorite game character of all times, and i was a little dissapointed at him cus he wasn't as good as some other chars in melee (at least that's what i thought back then), but reading this it seems that if I master these things i will be able to beat one of my friends who pick higher tier chars:) i will definitely try these things out, i always wanted to know how to do the edge egg throw thing (i forget what its called) Im surprised how the guide even includes info about frames, i mean, isn't it like, VERY HARD to find out how many frames there are in an attack or other thing? And the readability was very good, i didn't find anything (well, not yet, but i read almost all of it, just didnt read the basic moves descriptions) that was confusing because of bad organization/grammer. Thx for this guide:D

btw, nice sig:D

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Nice guide! Yoshi is basically my favorite game character of all times, and i was a little dissapointed at him cus he wasn't as good as some other chars in melee (at least that's what i thought back then), but reading this it seems that if I master these things i will be able to beat one of my friends who pick higher tier chars i will definitely try these things out, i always wanted to know how to do the edge egg throw thing (i forget what its called) Im surprised how the guide even includes info about frames, i mean, isn't it like, VERY HARD to find out how many frames there are in an attack or other thing? And the readability was very good, i didn't find anything (well, not yet, but i read almost all of it, just didnt read the basic moves descriptions) that was confusing because of bad organization/grammer. Thx for this guide:D

btw, nice sig:D

edit: is there a double posting rules in this forum? anyways, is there a video u know of that is about Yoshi and shows his advanced strategies and stuff and also info about how to do it? or can you make one?
cus IMO videos are more enjoyable and more helpful cus you can actually see what it looks like, and also it can help with timing the strategies, for ex: when you press this button, etc.,

LittleFumi

Smash Journeyman
good job, but the one thing i disagree about is the falco against yoshi matchup, i dont think that yoshi has a win victory of 6:4, i think that yoshi against falco is an even matchup so the ratio would be 5:5

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
This guide must of been based on the much earlier metagame.

Falco has a pretty good advantage over Yoshi, it's probably 3:7 for Yoshi.

Sir_Kibble

Smash Cadet
I'm feeling that a few of the ratios are a bit off. The falco one kind of seems to be assuming that falco's a slower fox ... and that's just silly.

Still, the tech data helps a lot and none of the advice is bad. (Egg Roll IS terrible.) Nice guide.

Kyo Kusanagi

Smash Ace
Let me say this all of yoshi's specials are freaking awesome, on the contrair, yoshi's egg roll is pretty good as a tech chasing move, also on hills, you can use downhills to speed you up.

Yoshi ***** heavies if no one has figured it out yet. Yoshi's most hated enemies is the whole mushroom kingdom.

I main the space animals and Falcon and I know not to fight yoshi.

XIII ways to die

Smash Apprentice
ya kyo isnt a healthy hatched yoshi he is an undead hatched yoshi.
he goes for the brains right in the face and owns.

MysteryT

Smash Rookie
Of all of the different Yoshis (N64, Melee, and Brawl) I find Yoshi the most difficult to use in Melee.

The Egg Roll is harder to use in Melee than in Brawl, since in Melee the egg roll easily leads to my character falling off the edge. In Brawl the egg usually "hugs" the edge so I can reverse my egg's direction and go back and forth across the platform.

Has anyone here mastered using the Egg Roll in Melee? What would you guys suggest I do?

Mind Trick

Smash Ace
Of all of the different Yoshis (N64, Melee, and Brawl) I find Yoshi the most difficult to use in Melee.

The Egg Roll is harder to use in Melee than in Brawl, since in Melee the egg roll easily leads to my character falling off the edge. In Brawl the egg usually "hugs" the edge so I can reverse my egg's direction and go back and forth across the platform.

Has anyone here mastered using the Egg Roll in Melee? What would you guys suggest I do?
Don't use egg roll, it's useless.

Reptar

Smash Apprentice
has anyone figured out that you can double jump cancel yoshis nair so fast that the hitbox doesnt come out?

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Don't watch Fumi, watch AmSa, he is the best Melee Yoshi player in the world.
It's crazy how much time has passed. I am now 7 years older than when I made that post above on this page, and there has been a full smash game before these posts (brawl wasn't out yet, and now smash 4 is and here i am posting). And now amsa is the best yoshi and he's doing great.

Nuttre

Smash Apprentice
I feel like you can pick up different things from every yoshi, but watching top level players do anything is always more pleasurable.

Pabmyster

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Pabmyster
Agreed, in most cases.
It's because you revived a 10 year old thread. Most of the people who posted on this are long gone, and a lot of this info is outdated. Also, don't take it that aMSa is the end-all-be-all of Yoshi or the Yoshi meta. He is the most (only) successful Yoshi thus far, but his playstyle is far from perfect. Keep that in mind!

Top Bottom