• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to get better at juggling

Mikkelmann

Mentally Untouchable
I want to know how to get better at juggling with Roy is there an exercise i can practice?

Binary Clone

Easy Money since 1994
Premium
What are you exactly having trouble with? For the most part you just need to practice SHFFL uairs, since that's Roy's best option for juggling opponents. I've heard some people like practicing "scooping" grounded opponents with really early uairs to practice getting them out faster.

Azureflames

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-0132-7109-3630
All that really can be done is just keep playing and practicing with intentions of getting better at it. It's mostly just timing and muscle memory. Go into training and practice SHFFL Uairs and practice the timing of the L-cancel into another action like Utilt or dash out of aerial. Getting the timing between SHFFL'ed Uairs into Utilt is also important for when they're at a percent that they fall too fast to string Uairs.

YaBoy

Smash Cadet
Marth juggls with utilt. Roy juggles with uair. I would suggest using the c stick, it lets you keep tap jump on (for uair out of shield), and learning to shffl the uair. If you can do it really low, you can do it really high, so practice keeping as low to the gorund as you can.

Binary Clone

Easy Money since 1994
Premium
I think it's only a matter of time before more people start jumping with Z. There's pretty much no downside except the small adjustment period, and you can act out of shield while turning tap jump off. This is what I do, and I recommend it completely.

SuruStorm

Smash Cadet
I think it's only a matter of time before more people start jumping with Z. There's pretty much no downside except the small adjustment period, and you can act out of shield while turning tap jump off. This is what I do, and I recommend it completely.
I know this is a long time following, and for that, I apologize, but I have two questions:
1- From there do you map grab to R and shield to y/x or do you L+A grab?
2- How is the transition to melee?

Binary Clone

Easy Money since 1994
Premium
I know this is a long time following, and for that, I apologize, but I have two questions:
1- From there do you map grab to R and shield to y/x or do you L+A grab?
2- How is the transition to melee?
No problem.

I map grab to R and use Y for footstool/taunt and X as another shield button, but you can do pretty much all shielding things with one shield button, since you can wavedash out of shield by using a combination of light press and hard press.

The transition to Melee is fairly easy (I've started playing much more Melee in the past months) if claw doesn't physically hurt your hands. It's nice and easy because once you're used to Z jump/R grab, moving to Melee just means shifting your index and middle fingers upwards a little bit - claw to use index on Y for jump and middle on Z for grab, which I find to be a fairly simple adjustment.

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
For juggling, recognizing the timing of hits is very important. Ideally, you want to connect with the uair/dair immediately before you hit the ground, to get max frame advantage during their hit stun. The execution of that depends on whatever launcher hit/set up that will begin the juggle, however. After the launcher hit, or during the set up, perform the juggling move as late as possible so theres minimal end lag to when you're next actionable.

That's a more nuanced take on juggling, but once you get standard muscle memory down, it's very important for maximizing damage output

SuruStorm

Smash Cadet
No problem.

I map grab to R and use Y for footstool/taunt and X as another shield button, but you can do pretty much all shielding things with one shield button, since you can wavedash out of shield by using a combination of light press and hard press.

The transition to Melee is fairly easy (I've started playing much more Melee in the past months) if claw doesn't physically hurt your hands. It's nice and easy because once you're used to Z jump/R grab, moving to Melee just means shifting your index and middle fingers upwards a little bit - claw to use index on Y for jump and middle on Z for grab, which I find to be a fairly simple adjustment.
Maybe I will once again take up the torch of alt controls, thanks!

Sundark

Smash Apprentice
As others have said, focus on getting Uair SHFFLs down to a science in your fingers, both while hitting an opponent and while not.. Be aware of how to sweetspot as well, sometimes you can use the sourspot, and sometimes you need the sweetspot. Mix in uptilts as well at lower percentages, it's far slower but way meatier, and if they aren't DIing you can just do it over and over and over and over. If you're having to compensate for good DI as well and you accidentally overshoot on an upair, you can abuse the from-the-back animation to keep it going. Then they DI utilt away, you're already in front of them to start chasing into either another Uair or dash attack, or something like wd dtilt.

A good way to set up early percent juggles as well is to late fair into dtilt, rinse and repeat. Make sure to punish missed techs with Dtilt whenever possible just as a general rule as well.

So basically:
Dtilt -> Fair can get things started
Utilt is great to plug some gaps or also start things
Grind out your Uair timings

Another important thing is that if you're juggling opponents on a platform above you, and they start shielding, hop up onto the platform and waveland grab them. I drop a lot of uair strings to shield -> jump out because I haven't started implementing that into my game yet.

Top Bottom