• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to get better at FFAs

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I know FFAs are unpopular but...

How (besides playing 1v1 or team, mind you) do you efficiently play a FFA match and not be the punching bag of the hour or have a Final Smash specifically target you? How do you get better at playing FFAs?

Last edited by a moderator:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Gotta learn the basics. Smash is unique even to ringout style fighters in that as each stage of the match progresses (as 4 players progress from early percent to mid to ko range) your timing, if correct, will allow you to be in the right place at the right time. Take micro steps left or right... Or staying in the same place, to adjust proximity to opponents. Of course decide wisely in the moment of truth (when you find yourself perfectly placed to square off with one of the 3 opponents) either by attacking or defending.

Each character expresses their fit to the rhythm of the game in different ways. Ike is a fundamental character and relies on dash attacks, uair combos nair combos etc. But he can be ping ponged around just as anyone so long as he's just trying to aggressively ko all 3 opponents as at once.

Also notice that the action tends to sway from one side to the other (if Battlefield or Omega... Run off stages you'll generally all congregate by the blast zones). As such you can either move with the tide or crash against it. Generally it's easier to move with the action and punish minor errors such as an opponent using spot Dodge erroneously or throwing a projectile when no one's a real target.

Lastly play defensively! You cannot take out 3 opponents who aren't fighting each other. But you can position yourself so that if they do attack they also risk hitting one another.

Predatoria

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5219-6817-7975
Usually when I do free for alls I find that the very worst spot to be is in the middle. Try to claim a corner and keep others out. Never get directly in the middle of the blob of players or you'll find you've taken a ton of damage in a very short time window. Even moreso since it looks like you main Bowser, who is a big target that attracts attention. Place yourself on the map wisely at all times. Always on the side, or outskirts. Never in the center. Let players come to you for a brief skirmish and that's where your skill can shine in and you can either kill them or scare them away.

Try to keep an eye on stocks. If one player seems to be doing a lot better, make sure to attack them. Don't let it creep up on you when suddenly everyone's out and they're still on their first stock. That's a recipe for trouble. I usually keep an eye on how everyone is doing and tend to try and bypass the losing players and target the one I think is going to potentially win. Grab and toss or knock people away who are on their last stock or who seem weaker and try to kill the player who's ahead! Otherwise you'll end up in a 1v1 where you're way behind on stocks or percent in the end. Try to plan how you want the end of the match to go. Who do you want to be left against you? Who do you think you can beat. Try to influence the match into the direction you want it to go so you can snag the victory at the end after the last 1v1 concludes.

Also be very wary of how punishable certain moves are in free for alls. I cannot count the number of times I've been hit by a ganondorf smash while jabbing or grabbing another player. Be very wary of your surroundings and keep tabs on everyone, not just your current target of interest. Staying alive in a free for all can require good situational awareness and caution. This works both ways, as typically I find it much easier to get off big moves like smashes in free for alls than in 1v1s where my opponent's attention is fully on my actions.

Last edited:

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
I know you use big characters. Big characters can very easily turn into big punching bags in FFAs if you're not careful. The condition of that, is that they generally live longer unless they get spiked. Use your moves with armor and be aware of your surroundings. Use your disruptive moves to avoid getting a stray hit against you. If there's a big fray don't dive in head first. Set yourself up in a safe spot on the stage. If there are items on, don't chase them mindlessly. If you get an item, don't mindlessly throw it, either. Save it for an opportune moment.

FFAs are generally more about avoiding the fight and capitalizing on others who are already in hitstun versus going for raw kills, unless you're playing Ganondorf. I generally don't find FFAs to be that hard to fight in if you can put up a good wall around yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom