• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to get away from f smash happiness when first starting out?

Duplighost

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3239-5360-8490
The best thing to do when an opponent is being overly offensive is to play defensive. Do not approach the opponent while they are "F Smash-Happy" and wait for an opening to attack. If your character has projectiles, use those.

Edit: Oh. I thought you meant your opponent was F Smash happy. In that case, you should practice using down tilt and other tilts that can lead into combos. F smashes, if avoided, can caused you to get punished. Try using F smash for kill moves primarily, rather than a move to rack up damage.

Last edited:

AirFair

Marth tho
I think the best way to get over that habit is to learn more options.

In neutral, a dtilt is way better than any fsmash you can throw out, because it leads to stage control, pressure, and it tacks on some damage.

You will soon find out when fsmash is better used.

1000g2g3g4g800999

Smash Journeyman
Dtilt is generally the best and most low commitment move in neutral, you can Fsmash plenty if the opponent takes to the air. Jab and ftilt are decent alternatives to cover similar zones to Fsmash without being as big a commitment.
Just discipline yourself to throw it out less, if you want to use an attack, ac nair (not moving forward) dtilt, and jab can all be done without gigantic risk. In several matchups, you can fthrow to fsmash to satisfy the urge.

chunskuru

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the tips guys! The general consensus seems that d tilt and other tilts are better since they are much less risky. I will definitely try to work that into my Marth.

AceDudeyeah

Smash Ace
Play a Falcon or Sheik. The negative punishment of getting chaingrabbed everytime you fsmash in neutral should get you to stop doing it.

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
My strategies are as follows:
1) Take advantage of other tilts (already elaborated)
2) Take to the air. Short hop fairs can be really useful, as could jumping past somebody and using a bair attack. Just change up your style.
3) Embrace it. In the right situation, you can combo with them really well. I've had a number of people get caught off guard by an fsmash combo. What I do is as follows: Dash attack to hit them up in the air, fsmash, dash attack again right before they land, fsmash again, etc. You can tack on massive damage really quickly (70% comes faster than you think), and if you keep the pressure up with short hop nairs or wavedashes out of their attempted combo killers, you should be able to press them to the very edge and use his dair for a smooth kill move.
It's all about knowing your options and spacing him properly.

Top Bottom